Funny Hunting Stories with a Message

cannonball

Very Active Member
Down here in the Southern Region there were four of the coolest dude's you've ever seen with all their assessories on the deer hunt. They were heading out early morning on their ATV's, single file, in a rush to get to their favorite hunting spot. There was an old man, by the side of his truck, trying to hail each down and they flew by. What were they thinking? I can't waste time with this old fossil - the big buck are waiting!!

The last one; however, thought this guy might need some assistance and stoped to help. The old man said, "There's a great big buck right there! He got off his ATV, went into the trees and shot the big brute - 28" I believe. WHAT GOES AROUNT COMES AROUND. I think the rest of the group got skunked this year.

SECOND STORY:

Years ago a friend of mine was going to one of the major universities in the state. He was in an anthropology class and they were showing slides of ancient dwellers of this country. His eyes perked up as they started showing Fishlake area. They showed stacks of rock that would go along a ridge which looked like people holding hands. The professor proceeded to tell the students that no one knew why the ancients stacked those rocks that way. My friend raised his hand and said, "I know that indian that did that, and why he did it. His name is Lorenzo and he did it to scare the coyotes away from his sheep". MORAL OF THE STORY IS TWO FOLD. 1) Better keep your mouth shut if want to pass the class. 2) This University graduates a lot of our DWR workers, so to them I say, school is only a starting place. On the job training is much more important. Seek out the truth for it may not come from the educated.

That first tale is a good one. It certainly pays to listen to the older generation.

I have a close friend that was driving a two track while antelope hunting. He spotted a coyote running in the sage out about 200 yds. He hopped out of the truck and laid the rifle across the hood for a good dead rest, got the crosshairs right on him and, BOOM! He recovered from the recoil and saw the coyote now running in overdrive...not a scratch on him. After he got home, right in the crown of the truck hood, was a bullet hole. Upon opening the hood, there was a shattered washer fluid reservoir and various other broken pieces from a bouncing bullet. Turns out, he had the coyote dead to rights through the scope but, the barrel was pointed directly at the crown in the hood. MORAL OF THE STORY...seeing is believing but, you might blow a hole through your hood.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-01-10 AT 11:54AM (MST)[p]Both good stories.

As to the second I have one like that too.

Back in the 60s my cousin was an art student at a collage in Oregon. He was doing a project on Indian art and decided to see if he could do it him self. He went down to the water line on a river and carved some Salmon on a rock right at the high water mark. He documented the whole thing with photos.

Years later someone stumbled onto his work. After it was studied by some archaeologists, it was pronounced an important
archaeological site. The state put in a small visitor hut and a nice trail down to the site.

My cousin saw a notice of an unveiling ceremony for the project, and came forward with his documentation.

Way back, when bear licenses could be purchased over the counter, a good friend and I baited bear, every year, in the Bookcliffs.

In those days the season lasted until June 15th. I had a friend who owned a large dairy farm and would usually be able to get us a cow within just a few days. On this particular year that just wasn?t the case. We were in bad need of a dead critter, but our friend hadn't had any cows die, so he said he would talk to an old horse trader whom might be able to give us a horse. He called me back and said that the old guy had a horse that just died that evening, and if we could be out to the guys place before 5:00 am he would give it to us. But we were warned that if we were one minute late, the guy would be gone to meet some friends for coffee. I told my buddy to tell the guy we would be there and we were. We got to his place about 4:45 am. I parked my truck and went over and talked with the guy. He jumped on this front end loader and yelled at me to get my truck over by the corral. I jumped in my truck and it would not start. He kept yelling to get over there, but I got out and said my truck would not start.

The next thing I knew here comes the guy with this big ole dead horse and drops it into the back of my truck on top of all our gear. He ask if my truck was a stick shift and I said yes and he just put his scoop on my bumper, gave me push and my truck started, and he was off to coffee before 5:00 am.

It was too early to get anything fixed so we decided to drive to Price and I pick up a new battery cable, as I was sure that was the problem. We were in Price and waited for a parts store to open, all the while leaving the truck running. We then drove to a steep hill, shut off the truck, changed the cable and tried to start it, but no such luck. We coasted down hill to start my tuck, but now had to find someone to fix the problem.

It was about June 10th of that year and we were under the influence of a record hot heat wave..with temperatures over 100 degees before noon! We found a guy who could fix it, but it ended up being a starter and there was not one in town that would fit it, so we had to wait for one to come from Salt Lake. By about 3 that afternoon we were on our way. The horse, whose legs were somewhere near 4 feet when we picked him up, had shortened to about 18? and his body size had doubled in size. (If you know what I mean).

We hit camp about 7 that night and needed to get the horse off all our stuff, so I backed up to a big tree, tied a chain around it, and also around the horses neck and pulled forward, pulling the horse and some of our gear onto the ground..

The poor ole horse lay there with legs now about a foot long and it seemed to be over twice its size. We hucked our stuff in the back of my truck as we wanted to get the pony skinned before dark.

I had a very sharp knife, and I am a screw around kind of guy, so I squatted down right in front of the horse?s belly, facing him straight on. My truck and our gear were immediately right behind my back. I carefully placed my sharp knife right on the stretched and taut stomach of the horse!

My buddy says, ?You better be careful? and I just replied, ?You just have to know what your doing!?

And at that very instance there was a huge boom (it sounded like a cannon going off) and the force knocked me backwards in a somersault. I jumped up and started to heave and gag and I and the whole back of my truck and our gear were covered with the inside of that horses last meals!

In the back ground, I could hear my buddy laughing. Then he would try to compose himself and try to ask if I was okay, but would again break out in laughter.

For years when my buddy would tell that story people would ask him if it got in my mouth, and his reply always was the same.

? Get in his mouth?-----Hell it poofed his cheeks!?

Morel of the story is that sometimes another person?s perspective is better than yours. And always listen to your elders. (He was a few years older than me.)

I would not want to do it again, but we had so many good laughs, that it made it all worthwhile.

Have a good one. BB

BB that was a funny story. Had me laughing Loved it.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Good stories guys,

Heres one from this year. I went out with my best friend on the rifle hunt since I killed on the archery. Anyhow we met some new guys from New Mexico and showed them around are favorite hunting area. Well we were on the third day of the hunt and frustrated because we hadn't seen nearly the amount of deer we are use too, we actually only seen one doe in 3 days. Late on the 3rd morning we were heading back to the truck when I could hear the new mexico boys coming up the road in the polaris side by side. well I told my buddy lets scare them, and he agreed. I said we need to make sure it is them first, and my buddy said he would keep watch and let me know. Well as I hid behind a tree and my buddy kept watch they were coming up the road, and my good buddy says, "I am 100% sure it is them." I should have known but call me gulable, so I jump out and scream and I don't know who was more scared, me because I didn't know who these people were, or them because they didn't know what the heck I was. It is a good thing it was a guy and 3 females and the older lady in the back had a good sense of humor she started laughing. I didn't know how to respond so I said something like, well havent seen many deer so I thought I would make the hunt more fun by scaring people. My buddy stayed in the tees laughing his butt off and wouldn't come out, he thought he was funny as hell. I owe him one.

This one happened years ago, when I was around 17 years old. My buddy and I always liked to go goose hunting at Otter Creek Res. On one particular day we ended up driving all the way around the east side of the Res. from south to north, watching the geese and whatever else we could see. (I don't know if there is even a road accessible over there any more) Anyway, when we got to the north end, where farm fields had been planted and harvested along the creek, we noticed 2 or 3 big rooster pheasants. The pheasant hunt was still on so we decided to get after them. Back then there was very little posted ground, and if it wasn't posted, people could usually just hunt. (I have to interject here that at the time I worked at the Farmers Co-op in Richfield. I got to know all the ranchers and farmers for miles around.) Back to the story: I decided to cross the creek in the only place possible along that stretch, and hunt along the other side. We had walked a little ways and busted a couple of birds when an old farmers truck came bouncing at a rapid rate across the field, right up to my buddy. The guy jumped out and started talking to my friend. As he got out, I thought I recognized him. His name,(I truly hope those who know/knew him don't mind me using his name, was "Afton Blood".) The creek was quite fast and noisy there so it was hard to hear. When I recognized him, I hollered, "Are you Afton Blood?" They couldn't hear any better than I could, and my friend thought I said, "Are you after blood"? He was thinking, here I am safely on the other side of the creek, picking a fight. Things settled down rather quickly, when Afton recognized me. He told us to just keep right on hunting.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom