Funeral Services?

sageadvice

Long Time Member
How many of you guys are like me and really hate, hate to go to funeral services of family and those we knew pretty good?

I had a Uncle pass away this week. We used to hunt together on the Family ranch when i was in my teens. He always made a big deal about me being his guide and how i could spot deer.

I'm going! This time there isn't much of a choice, i gotta go. There are lots of other times though, seems more and more, that even with the best intentions, i just don't seem to get there and end up saying my goodbyes in my own way.

Don't know exactly why but Funerals always have bothered me a great deal. How about you guys?

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

I almost always at attend but I won't be going to 1911's, Reddog's, Bucksnort's, Boob's or Z's funerals.

2311idiot.jpg

I just had a cousin pass away a few weeks ago and it sucked. He fit the generational gap between my dad and I. He was like a younger brother to my dad and an older brother to me. We caught a lot of fish, killed alot of critters, played alot of dominos, had quite a few campfires, and drank a couple truckloads of wiskey. Funerals sucks but I think its good for the family. Happy trails Red.

>
>I almost always at attend but
>I won't be going to
>1911's, Reddog's, Bucksnort's, Boob's or
>Z's funerals.
>
>
>
>
2311idiot.jpg

Z told me if you don't show up to his funeral he is never speaking to you again.

4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

Joey,
I don't like funerals either but sometimes you feel like it will help the family and go. Last month I went to a mom of one of my working buddies and he thanked me for attending her services.

Then today I got a text, voicemail and finally a phone call that a friend of mine who lives less than a mile away passed away after his battle with lung cancer.

So I most likely will attend another service soon. But I will do it for John and his family. He just turned 70.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

>Joey,
>I don't like funerals either but
>sometimes you feel like it
>will help the family and
>go. Last month I
>went to a mom of
>one of my working buddies
>and he thanked me for
>attending her services.
>
>Then today I got a text,
>voicemail and finally a phone
>call that a friend of
>mine who lives less than
>a mile away passed away
>after his battle with lung
>cancer.
>
>So I most likely will attend
>another service soon. But
>I will do it for
>John and his family.
>He just turned 70.
>
>Brian
>http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

Brian

You are a good man. You attended my dad's funeral and my wife and I really appreciated it.

Thanks guys! Yeah, i guess it is for the Family. That is the main reason i'm headed down to hill to the East Bay area. Our Family was so strong, so much fun, and so neat to be a part of and grow up with. Then The Grandparents Passed and there was a bit of a feud when most of the Ranch was sold off in section and half section pieces...

I don't see them near often enough and even my Aunt gave me the royal dickens over the phone when i called at Christmas wishing them well. It will be good to visit and pay my respects though i don't at all like going back down there to the hustle, hurry, and screw you, attitude a lot of those people who live there have.

My Uncle knew exactly where we stood with each other. I firmly believe that the prayers and goodbyes that i might say right here at my desk are as good as any that i'll be saying at his last Mass. Still like you guys say, it's for the family, for my Auntie, Passed Dad's younger Sister, and their kids, my cousins.

I'll be gone and off MM for a few days anyway. Don't let any new guys come in here and get away with any crap while i'm gone. :)

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

>
>I almost always at attend but
>I won't be going to
>1911's, Reddog's, Bucksnort's, Boob's or
>Z's funerals.
>
>
>
>
2311idiot.jpg

beings im not on your funeral list send me a plane ticket and ill go to your funeral.

I performed several of them as a detail when I was in the Army. I was proud to do it, but honestly can still see the faces of the Widows and children I presented the Flags to. I never have found peace at one. I am always extremely uncomfortable. I avoid them at all costs.

The only thing that gets me down about going to a funeral is going to one where the deceased didn't get to live a full life or screwed up the one life they had.

I suppose a lot of one's attitude about a funeral depends a lot on what you believe happens after you die. I would think that an atheist would take a funeral pretty hard, whereas someone who believes that their loved one will be rewarded in an afterlife because of a good life lived, they aren't that bad.

I lost my grandpa a few months ago. I love and respected him a ton. He lived a really full life and positively impacted the lives of many others. He left a huge posterity that loved him dearly. While his absence is hard to think about, I really feel like I'll see him again. That made the funeral much more bearable.

In contrast, I've been to a funeral of a friend that committed suicide. That one was tough because he was so young and rarely happy. I wouldnt pretend to know what has happened to him after he died, and that alone makes it hard.

SongNguyen or is it NguyenSong?

Does not matter, thanks for the kind words it is much appreciated. Went to two last month and not a fun thing to do during the Holidays.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

Sage I'm with you. Doesn't mean you don't show respect or love but you just choose to grieve in your own way.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

Joey, I hold the same feelings you do about funerals. Sometimes though, a funeral is a chance to re-connect with family that has grown apart. Take care, mtmuley

......I can think of alot of funerals I should have gone to.....

Genghis Khan raped so many women that 1 in 200 people today carry his genes..

Funerals can be good and they can be very bad. I've been to both kinds. A couple I wish I had never gone to.

Eel

I can say that if I knew, or grew up with the person, I try to attend, I have to take my 12 yr old to one tomorrow for a friend of hers that committed suicide...they are getting younger and younger.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-17-13 AT 11:13PM (MST)[p]I would say the police officers funerals last year were ones I hope to never attend again...wonderful service, but hard to get through....almost as hard as when I lost my sister and dad.

As for not knowing what to say, sometimes just supporting or being there is enough.

Couldn't agree more about hating them. I understand supporting the family, idea.
When I die, there isn't going to be a funeral, I am going to have dam party with a comdedian, that way everyone walks away smiling. That is if anyone shows up... ;-)

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

Thanks Folks, nice words and comments all!!

The trip down was well worth it. I saw some family and friends i hadn't in 20-30 years and though so, they made me feel so welcome and there was so much love, it really choked me up and i'm/was more than grateful to be welcomed back with so many open arms.

Uncle Mike's Service Drew quite a crowd. No way was there enough room in the Church for everybody and after at the big BBQ at their ranch was when the tide of emotions really came out. Some of my old hunting buds were cooking the tri-tips and Uncle Mikes huge shop was all clean as could be and plum full of tables. My Auntie seemed to hang there with me as if i were a special guest, the whole thing was a really nice tribute to my Uncle Mike, so glad i attended.

Thanks again!!

Joey

t's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

I may HAVE to go to my own, but I ain't going to ANY others.

I prefer to remember people the last way I saw them and HATE seeing them laid out in a coffin.
That is the last memory I have of my Grandfather and I have never got over it.

I have a lot of friends who have gone "hunting" and just never came back.....in my feeble mind.

Nickman, Thanks, my sentiments exactly. When i was 10 or so, was subjected to the great loss of a very close family member. The way our Family did it with the Wake and all the different things back then, it was a three or four day deal and it was just too much for me. I know that when i got word that my Grandpa died back in my late teens, i headed out to the hills that we hunted and fished and planned to stay there until it was over. It didn't work out that way but it would have if i had my way.

Thanks guys, again, nice!

Joey"

It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Obviously you guys don't live in Utardia. Never - never pass up the opportunity to feast on ham, funeral taters & jello. Sh!t I go to funerals of folks I never heard of.

Slick

"The Road goes on forever & the Party never Ends"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom