Fuel Costs Are Killing Me

H

HardcoreOutdoor

I have an 07 Dodge Megacab which I dearly love but I paid $4.54 a gallon for diesel this morning. Talk about putting your huevos into a vice and giving it a good turn everyday. Man, this has got to stop.

Around town I am not getting any better than 13mpg. Is it possible to put a full size hitch and trailer brakes on a Mini Cooper?

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

I feel your pain! I to just filled up and paid $4.49 a gal. Last time I filled up it was 4.19 that was 3 weeks ago. This is getting ridiculous.

Start using french fry oil?

Sell your diesel?

Quit diving around town.

Buy a horse?

I hardly understand the bulk of the diesel trucks the biggest trailer they haul is a single axle trailer with one King Quad in the back. That, or they haul around an 8" piece of pipe standing straight up behind the cab?

We got options, but we have been spoiled. Maybe a moped is in order, a bicycle, your feet, a small Jap car?

There are things that can be done, but are we willing to give anything up?

LAST EDITED ON May-21-08 AT 05:44PM (MST)[p]I own two 18 wheelers, and my fuel bill is between $1100 to $1300 per day....that really sucks...That is about $1.00 per mile for fuel costs. When I fill my dodge pickup for $100 once a week it seems cheap after seeing the daily costs of those two rigs!
Something has got to give, and soon...but I just don't see it happening...

The high prices are hurting everyone! The cost to run trucks today is unreal and everything you own came by way of a truck.

The truckers are stuck. They have no alternative and that is effect everything. Watch the inflation numbers the next couple of months. It is gonna go through the roof.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

"That, or they haul around an 8" piece of pipe standing straight up behind the cab?"

ROFL. Some of those rigs rolling around sure scream of more cash than common sense. Especially when the driver makes a deliberate attempt to leave about 50 cents worth of unburnt diesel in the air after each red light.

Give it 2 years and you will wish for the time when you only paid $4.50 for a gallon of diesel.

-DallanC

Well, that is one way to look at the glass as half full. Buy it discount at $4.50 while you can and never look back. HAHA.

I HEARD TODAY ON TV THAT TWO HUNDRED BUCKS A BARREL IS NOT THAT FAR FETCHED......MAKING A GALLON $7-8 BUCKS ...HOPE NOT...YD.

On the newscast today, several top experts stated that we will be seeing 5-6 dollars a gallon for gas by the start of August. That means about 50 cents more for diesel.
By winter, non of the big car companies will be able to give away any large truck or SUV. We will all be buying Japanese cars, made in America.
Give it one year of that, and 80% of Americans will be demanding that we start drilling and pumping our own oil and to hell with the numbskulls that has prevented us from drilling and pumping here. I think we will also see more talk on dam building and nuke power plants to bring in cheaper electric power to bypass using oil for heating our homes and more natural gas wells going in.

RELH

Have a Duramax,and i'm trying to figure out the cheapest way to get to AZ for my elk hunt.From North CA i figure $500 on fuel down and back. Maybe cheaper to fly and rent a truck??

today on way to work I was 6 foot off a semi's rear bumper and I
got 25 mpg(I GOT AN 06 DODGERAM WITH AN V-8) doing 60/65 mph for 28 miles.. THOSE DRIVERS MUST HATE THAT!
Naildriver stop in Vagas and put $600.00 on "RED"....there ya go!!!
RM

4.65 A FRICKEN GALLON YESTERDAY MORNING!!!

150.00 TO FILL THE BELCHER!!!

Naildriver!!!

ONLY 500.00???

YOU MUST NOT GONNA BE DOING ANY ROADHUNTING???

COME ON BOYS!!!

LETS HEAR WHAT THAT DEER MEAT IS GONNA COST US THIS YEAR???

I DIDN'T TAKE A DEER LAST YEAR SO I'LL HAVE TO ADD THEM FIGURES IN TOO!!!

THIS MY BE THE BEST SOUP I'VE EVER HAD???

THIS IS MY NEW GUN,YOU MAY NOT LIKE IT,YOU'LL LIKE IT A HELL OF A LOT LESS WHEN IT HITS ITS DESTINATION!!!
47654abd5a8fd79a.jpg

469ff2b8110d7f4e.jpg

THE ONLY bobcat THAT KNOWS ALOT OF YOU HAVE HAD THIS IMAGE IN YOUR PEA BRAIN BUT DUE TO POOR SHOOTING TACTICS I'M STILL KICKIN!!!

JACKMASTER DRAFTING???

NOW THATS A SCARY THOUGHT!!!

THIS IS MY NEW GUN,YOU MAY NOT LIKE IT,YOU'LL LIKE IT A HELL OF A LOT LESS WHEN IT HITS ITS DESTINATION!!!
47654abd5a8fd79a.jpg

469ff2b8110d7f4e.jpg

THE ONLY bobcat THAT KNOWS ALOT OF YOU HAVE HAD THIS IMAGE IN YOUR PEA BRAIN BUT DUE TO POOR SHOOTING TACTICS I'M STILL KICKIN!!!

Maybe w should get off his dead arse and pursue other forms of energy so we don't have to drill and get our boys killed. I'm amazed that with our technology you guys still want to tap all resources just to drop the price of fuel a few cents....for the time being. Then what? There's also no excuse for 2009 gas hawgs. That's what we get for an oil monger prez.

Did anyone catch the big oil CEO's at the Congressional hearings? They all said from supply side fundamentals that oil should be beween $35-$60 a barrell (=fuel under $2.00 a gal).

But with the Dollar falling in value everyone is putting money in commodity contracts. There is no shortage of supply and inventories are at historical norms

My wife just sold her beloved F350 crew cab power stroke and bought a Honda Civic....life is changeing.
Zigga you are a true lib. dem.

The oil CEOs on the hill is a joke. They have been summoned to congress 4 of the last 6 years! For what? To show us dumb americans that our legislators are doing something.

Congress is the one that just voted to not allow drilling in Alaska. Don't bring the CEOs in to tell you what the problem is. Look in the mirror liberial congress.

I have 13 Kenworth tractors and 23--48' refer trailers in my business. We use around 13000 gallons of diesel per month. Four years ago my fuel bill was around $20000 per month, this month will be over $60000. It is making it real tough, everything is going up, inflation will be like the late 70's.

I have a question for you tractor/trailer drivers. GM now has the hybrid Tahoe, Toyota has the Prius. Honda and BMW have similar offerings on the way. Is there any sort of serious effort by the major manufacturers to develop hybrid trucks? How far out are they

Or are you stuck with what you have for the foreseeable future?

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

HARDCOREOUTDOOR!!!

THINK ABOUT IT!!!

THEY HAVEN'T EVEN BUILT A SMALL HYBRID WITH ENOUGH TORQUE TO PULL YOUR HAT OFF YET!!!

DO YOU REALIZE ALL THE BRAND NEW BELCHERS USE MORE FUEL THAN PREVIOUS YEARS???

OUR GOVERNMENT IS LETTING US GET RAPED HARDER BY THE DAY!!!

LITTLE George IS SITTING AROUND WITH HIS TEETH IN HIS MOUTH & HIS PEA BRAIN IN NEUTRAL!!!

WTF???

47654abd5a8fd79a.jpg

469ff2b8110d7f4e.jpg

COULD YOU EXPLAIN EXACTLY WHAT AN "ELECTRIC ENGINE" IS???

47654abd5a8fd79a.jpg

469ff2b8110d7f4e.jpg

I must be seeing things...yesterday 4.77 a gallon deisel.Thought ,ok tomorrow i'll fill up. Today same station, 4.97. I don't think i had my after work beer yesterday,but maybe i did.

Whats with all this the sky is falling crap? The dollar being weak is whats driving this.
How many of us will give up the long distance hunts this year? Not me mine are all within 120 miles. Well I am giving up Texas hunt but mainly because of time.

LAST EDITED ON May-27-08 AT 04:09PM (MST)[p]Whether it is the weak dollar or demand or multiple fuel formulations rquired by the different states or a combination of all of the above the point is the increase in price, especially diesel, will touch everything in our lives. The libs and tree huggers are not going to let us do any more domestic drilling or add any new refinerys and there doesn't seem to be much more supply comming from anywhere else so yea, I am concerned.

I don't see prices coming down much and I think it will have an effect on everyday life. The sky is not falling but I think that we are in for a change, maybe a big one if fuel costs throw us into a recession or worse. Goldman Sachs says we could hit $200 per barrel or $6 per gallon within 24 months.

I am actually looking at smaller more fuel efficient trucks with gas engines. By the way, since my original post on this subject diesel has gone from $4.54 to $4.81 a gallon at my local station.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

Its the weak dollar and the massive debt the US has. Weak dollar = high costs of all types, from fuel to walmart. We cant strengthen the dollar due to our massive debt. Some-ones going to have to pay the piper, we cant float that much debt AND a weak dollar for too much longer. Add onto that the $11 Trillion debt we have in social security that we have to cover somehow... be very glad the dollar is worth as much as it is, it could be worse, like 100 USD = 1 Euro.

Long ago I wondered how or if the USA could fail, and its readily appearing to anyone paying attention that we've slipped over that edge and are sliding down the slippery slope, and gaining speed. Is it the end of the world? nah... but the glory days of cheap fuel and cheap consumables are past, and there is nothing to bring it back. The question is how bad will it get? I seriously believe we are headed for $10 gal/gas and all of the inflationary costs associated with that. It makes me depressed to think how gloomy the future is for my boy and what he will have to endure over his lifetime.

-DallanC

Everyone wants to live for the moment and tomorrow will never come. Well tomorrow is here, and it will get worse before it gets better. Our Republicrats have sold us down the road and which ones are addressing the problem, I can't even count one. Oh there might be lip service, but not one is doing something about it. Our problem can be solved if they saw the urgency, but they're to busy self serving and self worshipping them selves. Hopefully some personal American ingenuity will pull us out eventually.

JEEEZ LOIUSE Im glad Im not that pessamistic . ELECTION YEAR AND WE ARE IN DEBT BUT IF WE HIT 6.00 GAS IN LESS THAN A YEAR FROM NOW THIS COUNTRY WOULD COME TO A SCREACHING HALT ECONOMY WISE THEREFOR A WEAK DEFENCE. NOT GONNA HAPPEN!

congress is full of clonws for sure. maybe we are about through with a bunch of but one will be our new prez...hmmmm
one of them is a mavrick or breaks from the herd so to speak . McCain and if we vote the others out their approval rating is much lower than Georges so looks like they will be replacd we have a chance to put better ones in office. I hope we dont screw it up again .

I don't think that there is a lick of difference between any of them. I have worked for both sides including a year and a half for McCain and I don't think you will get any meaningful change out of either side. Honestly, I think our only hope is a third party and that won't happen until things get really bad, if ever.

Paul was interesting to me but there were some real problems with a few of his ideas and the machine just either ignored him or beat hiim down. The guy I like is Senator Tom Coburn from Oklahoma but I just don't think that an honest, clear thinking, straight talking man or woman has a chance in the current atmosphere.

I think we are getting to a point where something is going to have to change, break down or crash.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

>JEEEZ LOIUSE Im glad Im
>not that pessamistic .
>ELECTION YEAR AND WE ARE
>IN DEBT BUT IF WE
>HIT 6.00 GAS IN LESS
>THAN A YEAR FROM NOW
>THIS COUNTRY WOULD COME TO
>A SCREACHING HALT ECONOMY WISE
>THEREFOR A WEAK DEFENCE. NOT
>GONNA HAPPEN!

Its already at $5.90 USD per gallon in canada, I dont really see why it couldnt hit that here in the near future. The highest I could find world wide right now is $9.20 USD / Gal in Denmark.

$10 a gal gas wouldnt be the end of the world, people will adapt and continue, but it would be painful and yes, the ecomony IS screeching to a halt. Just because Bush and Co changed the criteria that defines what a recession is, doesnt mean the average joe isnt experiencing it. Wages are diminishing, equity is diminishing, unemployment is rising, other costs are skyrocketing... yea its just the election causing it!

Just wait till the fall product prices hit the shelves. Do you realize items coming out of china for fall will cost 10-25% more than last fall? Retail buyers for Christmas toys have already bought'em at those prices and the US consumer is in for one major shock come fall when this stuff hits the shelves.

Its not pessimism, its watching the market, seeing where we are headed and getting my damn "ducks in a row" to be able to handle the inflation jump as best as possible.

-DallanC

I can't say I agree with the calls for drilling in ANWR. I would think at most we could get one years worth of oil out of it and it would take several years to get ready to pump that. From what I understand our refineries couldn't process it anyway. Brazil has hit two major oil fields in the last few months, but it will take quite a bit of time just to get it ready to pump.

I find it hard to believe the country that developed electricity, cars, airplanes, telephones, etc. can't find an alternative to fossil fuels. I believe the main reason is oil companies buy up any promising alternatives more than likely using the billions in tax breaks we give them.

There is supposed to be enough oil in ANWR for us to stop importing from suadi arabia for 10 years. We need to drill in ANWR as well as the off shore areas we have found oil. Why not use american oil for 10 years and in the mean time work on an alternative. It's a "win win" situation to me.

It was 1994 when the senate passed a bill to allow drilling and Clinton veto'd it. Had he allowed it we would have been using much more of our own oil now. If we had this oil on hand to use in our own refineries not only would the price drop but think of all the jobs it would create.

Based on the studies I've seen by the Energy Information Administration pumping couldn't begin until 2013 and would peak at 876k barrels a day in 2025. We currently import 10,118,000 barrels a day I believe it is. The net impact on a barrel of oil price would be less than $1. I don't think that's worth destroying one of the last great frontiers.

I am by no means a liberal, but I do believe in being a better steward of our environment. If we want to continue enjoying the outdoors there need to be changes made. I know all of us have probably lost some of our favorite hunting grounds to strip malls or another housing development.

Destroying ANWR, come on! I suppose the Norh slope is destroyed, and the off shore drilling has destroyed our off shore fisheries. We start running out of oil before alternatives can be developed you'll see enviromental things happen thats alot worse than drilling in ANWR. People will return to burning wood, for example, add that one up on a large scale.

You are going with the oil company conspiracy theory? The oil companies are buying all the 100 MPG carburators and engines that run on water and then some how keeping those people quiet. Please. If those things do in fact work they go nowhere because it has been cheaper and easier to stay with what we have not because of some grand conspiracy.

Those oil companies are big, successful businesses and you probably own some of their stock in your 401K, for good reason. They have very little control over the actual price of crude. It is dictated by the market. They can't expand drilling domesticly and they can't build new refinerys. The prices are rising because of increasing demand and static supply. They are making record profits because their costs are realtively fixed and the price has shot up, because of demand not because of some conspiracy. We will see just how committed the libs are because it is going to get a lot more painful before we find an alternative to oil and switch to it.

If another viable technology exists it would be developed and exploited when it makes sense economically. It has happened many times through out history. We may finally be reaching that point.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

LAST EDITED ON May-28-08 AT 11:59AM (MST)[p]You guys are right there has never been a monopolistic company in the history of the US that has gobbled up competing technology.

I agree wholeheartedly that we need increased refinery capability, but I don't agree with drilling in ANWR.

The huge decline in the USD over the last few years has as much to do with the price of oil as supply and demand.

And the appropriate response to a sustained decline in the dollar would be to off set it's effects by increasing domestic production. Every day we don't, makes us more subserviant and more dependent. Weaker.

If that is indeed the will of the majority of the people in this country then we deserve what we get.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

Hopefully the Feds have stopped dropping interest rates as well. That and an increase in domestic production will do more for the price of oil (inflation in general) than anything else.

>I have a question for you
>tractor/trailer drivers. GM now
>has the hybrid Tahoe, Toyota
>has the Prius. Honda
>and BMW have similar offerings
>on the way. Is
>there any sort of serious
>effort by the major manufacturers
>to develop hybrid trucks?
>How far out are they
>
>
>Or are you stuck with what
>you have for the foreseeable
>future?
>
>Wade
>www.HardcoreOutdoor.com
>
>
>
>

Wade,

Yes there are Hybrid trucks being produced right now! They are also looking at LNG and CNG for big trucks. I work with all the major Truck Builders and it is top priority right now. Fuel savings is going to be the major topic in our business for a long time. I work with all the Major trucking fleets in the Western US and all of Western Canada. There are companies that are spending about $2 Million a day in Fuel right now and every time it goes up .10 cents a gallon it costs about a Million $$$$ to some fleets! The scary thing is....everything else is going to go up because of it. You have to realize that 80% of consumed goods are brought to you by TRUCKS!!!!!! Rates are raising and therefore all of your consumable goods are going to rise as well.

Here is a few websites to look at on the Hybrid Trucks.

http://www.kenworth.com/6100_pre_mor.asp?file=2105

And look at this I just got this morning............It is only getting much much worse!!!!!

http://www.ttnews.com/articles/basetemplate.aspx?storyid=19859

I for one am a little scared!!!

Ok This got posted up above, and I wanted it down here!

>I have a question for you
>tractor/trailer drivers. GM now
>has the hybrid Tahoe, Toyota
>has the Prius. Honda
>and BMW have similar offerings
>on the way. Is
>there any sort of serious
>effort by the major manufacturers
>to develop hybrid trucks?
>How far out are they
>
>
>Or are you stuck with what
>you have for the foreseeable
>future?
>
>Wade
>www.HardcoreOutdoor.com
>
>
>
>

Wade,

Yes there are Hybrid trucks being produced right now! They are also looking at LNG and CNG for big trucks. I work with all the major Truck Builders and it is top priority right now. Fuel savings is going to be the major topic in our business for a long time. I work with all the Major trucking fleets in the Western US and all of Western Canada. There are companies that are spending about $2 Million a day in Fuel right now and every time it goes up .10 cents a gallon it costs about a Million $$$$ to some fleets! The scary thing is....everything else is going to go up because of it. You have to realize that 80% of consumed goods are brought to you by TRUCKS!!!!!! Rates are raising and therefore all of your consumable goods are going to rise as well.

Here is a few websites to look at on the Hybrid Trucks.

http://www.kenworth.com/6100_pre_mor.asp?file=2105

And look at this I just got this morning............It is only getting much much worse!!!!!

http://www.ttnews.com/articles/basetemplate.aspx?storyid=19859

I for one am a little scared!!!

>How are we going to increase
>domestic production if we can't
>do any new drilling?
>
>Wade
>www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

Sorry misread your post. I had GDP on the brain.

Ok let's say we get approval for drilling in ANWR. If we go by the EIA study it will be 2013 before we pump the first barrel. What do we do until 2013? We have to find a way to considerably reduce our use of fossil fuels no matter if they are produced domestically or imported. Gas hitting $3.50 a gallon has a lot of people reducing their consumption considerably that will hopefully be enough to at least slow down the massive jumps in price.

+2 Hardcore. Simple economics, half our trade deficit belongs to oil, get rid of that and watch the dollar climb.

Increase domestic production and refining, incentize conservation and greater fuel economy, get rid of all of the special blends for each state and get working on viable alternative fuels technology.

Make us independent. Then cut the cord so we are not bound to all of these bannana republic, despotic, monarical, marxist oil producing governments that are holding us hostage. Screw the special interests, all of them. This is strategicly important to this country. It won't necessarily be easy but consider the alternative.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

Iraq has plenty of oil. We already have an army there. Seems fairly simple to me.
When we needed more land we took it from the Indians. It was ok then.
When we needed some cheap labor, we brought people from Africa. It was ok then.
When we wanted the Panama Canal we took it from Panama. It was ok then.
History will show that whenever we needed to make a change, to make this country better, we found someone to take what we needed from.

I need some cheaper gas TODAY, not 2 years from now. I think we need to get it from Iraq.
It is ok for NOW!

Oh Nickman,

You speak the truth. You are gonna burn for it but you speak the truth. The problem is that the scandinavian, viking, germanic hoards that once dominated our populations ancestory has been watered down and is now a minority.

I agree, where is the loot, the war booty.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

We are liberators instead of conquerors which evidently means the rules are different after you kick someones ass.

LAST EDITED ON May-29-08 AT 02:23PM (MST)[p] I thought the U.S. dug the Panama canal, I didn't know we went and took it from them. You know what, they even taught me the U.S. gave Panama the Panama canal after we had dug it.

I've done my genealogy six generations back, no slave owners. I guess because I'm white I did it!

I guess the Indians would like to revert back to their way of life, I can see that when I see them fishing on the Colunmbia for Salmon and when they go hunting.

I'm also sure that the Iraqui people want their compassionate leader and his two sons back, shame on the U.S. again.

Fuel costs have definately had an effect on my driving. I am driving less and when I do drive I drive slower. I took a trip to Flagstaff a couple days ago to do a solo run up Mt. Humphrey's, Arizonas highest point at 12,633.

I jumped on I-17 North and noticed almost immediately that there was no shortage of drivers and everybody was going faster, a lot faster than I was. Somebody else must be paying for their fuel.

Sticking to my guns, I kept the cruise control on the big Dodge to 65 MPH for the entire trip. 17.5 miles to the gallon is as good as I can get.

Not as good as I had hoped when I took delivery of the 3/4 4x4 Megacab 6.7ltr diesel a year and a half ago. Still fighting with myself on selling it for a Toyota double cab. I don't "need" this vehicle but it sure is nice when the five of us hit the road, especially with a trailer. At $165 per fill up maybe the time for "nice" is past and "practicality" is the new word of the day.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

I traded my F-250 last November before diesel went to the insane levels it currently is. I still miss that truck, but driving past a service station makes me miss it a little less.

I traded my wife's car for a Toyota double cab a couple of months ago and so far I really like it. It doesn't have the power of the diesel of course, but it also gets about 4-5 mpg more. Around town I get 17.5 - 18 and on the highway I get about 21. I would get more on the highway if I kept it to 65 mph like you do instead of 75.

with the floods in the corn belt CNN said gas can go up
as much as 15 percent....on formulated gas!
that's .75 cents a gallon that's $5.25 (at current price!) a gallon here in bay area..
not to mention the the cost of beef, pork, milk, sweeteners, chips, canned corn, pet food and so the end results are corn out sourced to Brazil! And wheat..? think about it?
I would not drive to Utah and New Mexico if I had to pay $5.25 a gallon to hunt, I would hunt here in Ca til I got two nice bucks!
rm

LAST EDITED ON Jun-16-08 AT 07:44AM (MST)[p]I have to laugh when people piss and moan about the oil companies and "Bush".

We are the idiots who think we need a diesel truck to haul our 4-wheeler around. Those "CEOS" must be laughing when they are petioned before congress to explain the increase in gas.

Why does no one ever get mad at the car/truck manufacturers? I will guarantee you they have the potential to increase MPG on the trucks they are manufacturing. But why would they spend millions of $$ on R&D to do it when we dont care and buy the trucks anyway.

Having said this, I do think people are going to start making a stand. Personally, I have parked my gas guzzling diesel and saving it for when I absolutely cant do without a truck.

Doe anyone know where I can buy a good honda accord ????

The Toyota Double cab is a good solid truck. My brother has 186,000 on his and the car accident I mentioned in the first "Fat Boy Challenge" post was in a Toyota Double cab. In fact we were both in Toyota Double cabs.

I was headed eastbound at 45ish with what PD called a mature green light and the other guy was headed southbound and ran a mature red light at about the same speed, he never touched the brakes. I T-boned him in the middle of the intersection. Both vehicles were totaled but he was OK, my wife was bruised but OK and I walked into the ER under my own power. I would say those vehicles did incredibly well. I would buy another one.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

I agree that's exceptional crash protection in my opinion.

I made it 6 months without a truck and it was all I could take. I made it on one hunting trip and one project around the house before I had to get another truck. I was actually looking at 1/2 ton trucks, but the dealers around here decided their used trucks were worth above KBB value. I'm actually glad I didn't get one now.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom