Front Archers-knock it off!!!

predator

Very Active Member
Pun intended. Twice in two days I have had fellow archers try to tell me that I cannot hunt grouse or anything else with a firearm in East Canyon. The first guys I believe were just not clear on the law, but the second guys were deliberately trying to mislead me by assuming I don't bowhunt. They both bashed non-archers during the conversation.

My point is this- we as bowhunters have it very good here. Hunt nearly 5 months out of the year. Hunt both elk and deer ruts. If we are unwilling to share the woods with other hunter groups for a few weeks, then I say we are too damn selfish for our own good. Misleading a fellow hunter is about as low as you can go. Why the elitism? Why ruin another hunter's attitude for the day?

Emigration Canyon was just one step, if you dont think for one minute that the ultimate goal is to eliminate hunting altogether, then I have beachfront property in Thistle for sale. Next year, when the homeowners rightly complain about trespassing bowhunters, who will you blame?

For the record- ONLY Emigration Canyon is closed to firearms, with the exclusion of shotguns. There is currently a centerfire elk and moose hunt still
open. Dont try telling me the rules while you stand there with no required orange.

Pred

That is right! What Pred said. So are you selling the Beach Property? I will bet ya a kiss on the lips your pulling our leg!! What beach front property with Gazebos?

Rutnbuck

Pred,

So are guns ok up millcreek & the cottonwoods? I've been bow hunting several times in the past & heard gun shots, and then crossed paths with the gunner only to find out he was hunting grouse. I never said anything, but I've wondered if he was legal. I always thought guns were prohibited up there.

"...I got a shotgun, rifle, and a 4 wheel
drive, and a country boy can survive..."

Hank Williams Jr.

GUNS are not illegal. There are cabin safety zones, however. HUNTING with a rifle is illegal except when there is an authorized rifle hunt( there have been cow hunts in milcreek in the past). Hunting with a shotgun for upland game has never been illegal.

These restrictions only apply south of I-80, east of I-15 and in Emigration Township.

Pred

Good to know. I think a lot of archers (myself included) misinterpret gun restriction with gun prohibition. Have at it! The only thing I would say is be respectful to the archers that are sharing the mountain & expect the same courtesy from them.

Hank Williams Jr.

I try to- I have a bow tag myself; but it grates on me to have someone shout-'thee' when they are not following the law themselves.

There's actually no gun restriction or gun prohibition anywhere on the front. It's just that there are very few open seasons for centerfire rifles in certain areas :)

Technically speaking, it's a boundary issue by weapon type, rather than a weapons ban.

Cheers,
Pete

LAST EDITED ON Oct-17-10 AT 07:58PM (MST)[p]So if I wanted to take a rifle up there and hunt coyotes (they're everywhere and I just so happen to love calling coyotes) that would be ok? If yes, could I hunt year round or only during early spring through late summer before all the big game hunts?

Hank Williams Jr.

I thought there was a firearms ban south of 80 and east of I15...and included all firearms???

I've seen discussions of this on other boards and other guys trying to get a straight answer from "those" in the know...sheriff/dwr and no one would give them a straight answer?

gdog I'll try and shed some light on the issue of firearms and there discharge south of I-80 . There isn't a ban , but the use of centerfire weapons can only be used in very limited circumstance .

There is a county ordance that bans the discharge of firearms in Salt Lake County unless the firearm is used at a designated firing range , or for a lawful hunt . The ordance also outlines the discharge of a centerfire weapon must occur further than one mile from any building . With a shotgun the discharge must occur further away than 600 feet from a building . Also there is the issue of private property . The amount of private property in the Big and Little Cottonwood Canyons is deceiving . There is a lot more private property in the area than people understand .

The lucky few that have a moose or goat tag and can find the animal over one mile from a building can legally use a centerfire weapon . Shotguns are allowed for bird and small game hunting . The question has been raised about coyote hunting , and that could be viewed a couple of different ways . Like a moose or goat hunt if you are coyote hunting one mile away from a building you would be legal .

My personal observations are that your going to be fairly hard pressed to find areas that you can legally discharge a centerfire weapon south of I-80 . I also think there is too much multi use recreation occurring in those areas to safely use a centerfire weapon .

Appreciate the info. I should have thought about sending you a PM asking those questions.

On another topic...did they ever find any additional info on that skull?

gdog , from what I have heard there hasn't been any more information on that skull . I know the area had been checked several times looking for more bones , but the whole thing is a mystery .

County ordinance is 600 feet for RIFLE discharge, incorporated city ordinances vary from city to city. Many, including Salt Lake City have the 1 mile rule.

I spoke with a Salt lake city official on tuesday for clarity

www.bowhuntersofutah.com

I was agreeing with Foundation until he stated: "I also think there is too much multi use recreation occurring in those areas to safely use a centerfire weapon ."

That kind of thought process is really disturbing and will take away our hunting faster than any enviro-wacko. So it is ok to shoot a gun on Timp or Provo Peak or around Heber, but there is too much "recreation" up the canyons to safely use a gun. Apply that same logic to other areas and every mountain range within 10 miles of a city will be archery only. Last time I checked, it was more dangerous to ride a bike down Big Cottonwood Canyon than it is too hike Timp during the rifle hunt.

Does anybody have the actual law on this? I don't believe it has been correctly stated yet.

I attended the emigration canyon hearing with the residents and the DWR and what the DWR said is that the state has a law that says it is legal to discharge a weapon within 600 feet of a home. Therefore any county ordinance that makes it a mile or 1/2 mile is void. thus the residents of emigration canyon decided if they could get hunting with ML and rifles closed for big game it would solve most of the problem.

During the meeting I commented that it is still legal to discharge a centerfire or ML weapon in Emigration canyon for purposes of target practice, varmint hunting etc and was told by the DWR that was correct.

As far as I understand that means you can shoot in any canyon, you can hunt with a shotgun for upland game.

I do not know where to produce the correct documentation to support this position. If someone can help please post a link to some official website I would appreciate it. Someone on here has to be affiliated with a gun organization in the State that can shed some official light.

Over regulation is killing the shooting sports!

The correct documentation is the Proclamation. It says you can not hunt or discharge a weapon within 600' of a road, house or dwelling. I did say above there is no ban of any weapon in the canyons. There are simply very few open seasons for certain weapons types in the canyons. It's nothing more than that.

I think the DWR and the Wildlife board have decided to solve some difficult issues and appease certain difficult groups with weapons type restrictions and I think for the last 10 years or so that they have been in place they have worked quite well.

Cheers,
Pete

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom