Friends of the Paunsagunt

cannonball

Very Active Member
Had a friend who just got back from the Paunsagunt and said they saw more elk than deer. If this is happening watch the deer population plummet. Sure hope Wade Heaton is on top of it and gets the elk numbers reduced. Personally I would like to see no elk on the Paunsagunt.

I have a friend who's wife had a deer tag last year down there and drew an expo tag for there this year (I know). He spends quite a bit of time down there and has never mentioned there being more elk then normal. Travis Roundy would be another source for facts. He's never eluded that the elk down there are taking things over.

Count on Wade to take care of Wade

Which would mean the Pauns stays one of the premier units in the west to hunt mule deer. His CWMU is entirely surrounded by the LE unit, and dependent upon the deer migrating back to his property so they can kill then before they leave again the next fall.

I’m not buying this notion of more elk than deer. Not at all. Cannonball, you know how few elk are on the unit.

Which would mean the Pauns stays one of the premier units in the west to hunt mule deer. His CWMU is entirely surrounded by the LE unit, and dependent upon the deer migrating back to his property so they can kill then before they leave again the next fall.

I’m not buying this notion of more elk than deer. Not at all. Cannonball, you know how few elk are on the unit.
He knows!!!

Hey Niller!

Somebody Is Feeding The Deer Apples As We Speak!

Wanna Take A guess Where?

I made 3 scouting trips and spent the entire muzzy deer hunt there last year. I saw 5 elk total, and decided I would never apply there. The Park, Tropic, the passes, and down to the highway on West side didn't show us much at all.

Granted it was hearsay, but knowing the person it was true. He and his family goes on top and camps for a week each year. Their main purpose is to look for deer. Said he had never seen the likes of it with that many elk this year. Said it was an unusual year, Kanab C and Blubber are closed and the elk were where they usually are in large amount of around with100 in one bunch and had seen other bunches Were they off the Dutton/Duncan who knows.? I just trust what he told me. Yes, I hunted it for elk a couple of years back and they have been few and far between, but are they increasing? Unless you scouted this year, how do you know, and him and I certainly know there are many more deer than elk on the Pauns, but that is what he saw during his rainy stay down there.
In my estimation, like the Henries one elk on those units is to many!

Last edited:
This thread is hilarious. I still laugh thinking of how the pausy is one of the best deer tags out there and the guy who made that claim killed a 160 buck+ 5 pt internet curve + 10 utard so 175. ????

As he mentioned to me that it may have been the weather raining every day, but as many elk as he saw on top is concerning to me.

When I was scouting the Pauns a couple years ago for deer I did see some elk around the Podunk guard station. Not many though. They disappeared when the archery hunter activity started!

Exactly, but that is not this year. The Dutton and Boulder Mountain are just across the Bryce highway. The point is or should be, if the herd is increasing, take immediate measures to do something about it. Like it or not, elk are an indirect predator of the Mule Deer. I would sure hate to see the Paunsagunt unit Mule Deer destroyed by an increased number of elk on that unit. Any of you who think the elk wouldn't cross the highway, go to Dave's Hollow or Blue Fly on the Pauns and look at the antelope. Years ago they were only found north of the Bryce highway to Antimony.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom