Fresno St. Dawgs

Batesol has really made that program Weat Coast powerhouse. look how they started the season. Peaking at the right time

Kicking tail and taking names tonight! One more game for all the marbles! What a great story. They stand a great chance tomorrow night! Go Fresno!

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

Looks like tomorrow is their date with DESTINY! They sure have a good shot...after knocking off my Sun Devils, and beating other higher seeded teams...they gotta shot. I hope they do it...Heart beats talent any day.

Scott G.

I HAVE SEEN THEM PLAY....EARLY ON THEY WERE TERRIBLE...I CANT BELIEVE WHAT I'M SEEING...PITCHING IS LIKE THEIR RUNNING ON FUMES/ WHEELS ARE ABOUT READY TO FALL OFF....THEY JUST BATTLE BACK THOUGH. THIS IS THE BIGGEST CINDERELLA STORY IN THE HISTORY OF NCAA SPORTS. THEY ARE THE LOWEST SEED TO GET THIS FAR IN ALL SPORTS, OF ALL TIME IN THE NCAA SPORTS HISTORY....AMAZING......YD.

They have a started going tonight that has plenty of rest. It should be a real good game. Freson St has some gamers. One thing I have noticed about Georiga is they all have weird last names.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-25-08 AT 11:18AM (MST)[p]Weird last names? Huh never heard that before. Fresno played great last night but we played great the night before. I'm sick of the cinderella story though. Baseball is the one sport that is full of parody. It is not like football where teams can be completely overpowered and outmatched, in baseball the talent level is pretty close. Especially in college ball where so many people leave early.

I love how the announcers keep harping on the "gamer" title for the FSU players and all the fans are buying into it. Like UGA was ranked no.1 all season and they are a bunch of pretty boys who know nothing about small ball. Heck, we've only hit three homeruns all series! We've had to be "gamers" in every game we have played. With the exception of Beckham and Fields UGA is not a star- studded lineup.

Batesol has got a lot of mileage out of everyone on that roster. He totally believes in California Baseball, and recurting valley talent. I think the Dawgs are going to come out on fire.

BATESOL TRIES TO RECRUIT ALLOVER THE NATION, HE ACTUALLY GETS STUCK WITH LOCAL/CALI PLAYERS ...EVEN ESPN MENTIONED THAT FACT. CALI HAS A HUGH EXCESS OF BALL PLAYERS, MOST OF FRESNO'S GREAT BALL PLAYERS PLAY AT USC,UCLA,CSF,STANFORD & CAL...ECT. AS HISTORY HAS BARED OUT....GO DOGS !!!......YD.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-25-08 AT 01:32PM (MST)[p]Of coure colleges recurit all over the nation. Fresno roster has 27 guys which all are fron Calif, and of the 27, 13 are from the San Joaquin Valley. The green V on the back of the helmets, that what that stands for Valley! They really try to recurit Calif players.

NOT BY CHOICE THOUGH NEZZY, IF THEY WIN TONIGHT ....YOU WILL SEE MORE PLAYERS FROM OTHER STATES IN FUTURE RECRUITING....THEY HAVE NOT HAD MUCH RECRUITING POWER IN PAST YEARS.....YD.

You were all over my Lakers now the Dawgs! I also agree that there is great talent all over.

WOW! They did it!

Congrats to the WAC and Fresno St.! What a great story.

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

Glad to see Fresno St. win. Well deserved.

Watch out for Fresno State in football this year as well...

YD, hate to disagree with you, but the Bulldogs weren't an 89th seed. There are only 64 teams in the regionals, then 18 teams in the super regionals and 8 in the College World Series. 89th wouldn't have made a regional.

Huge accomplishment for the Bulldogs and the WAC! Way to go, 'dogs!

I should let him explain this to you CAelk, but regular season the were ranked that low, and wouldn't have even made the tourney, had they not won the WAC conference. So yes they were ranked 89th in the nation

"We are the worst team to win ever," Burke said.

Maybe so, though Fresno State ? entering the tournament 89th in the Ratings Percentage Index,........

thats from the fresno st baseball website under bulldogs in the media: story: wrost to first.

477ae34e5b284072.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Jun-29-08 AT 00:13AM (MST)[p] NUTS, EITHER YOU ... OR ESPN ARE WRONG, THATS EXACTLY WHAT THEY SHOWED ON THEIR NCAA WORLD SERIES REPORT.....I SAW IT...YD.

I was stuck in the Portland Oregon airport for 9 hours the other day and got to watch the whole game. It's the only time I haven't minded flight delays. That Detwiler (sp) kid was flippin smokin!!!! Definately fun to watch.

It's always an adventure!!!
www.awholelottabull.com

OK, I'll stand corrected, but we were talking about two different subjects. Sine you said "ranked", I didn't realize you were talking about RPI, which is different than a team's national ranking. With regard to actual rankings, Fresno State was actually ranked #17 in the nation on June 2nd and 8th on June 10th, by Baseball America. BA does the rankings of the top 25 college teams, and they're considered the gospel when it comes to this stuff. RPI is a whole different animal, as it compares strength of schedule from one team to another, as a way to help measure which teams are stronger since so many have relatively similar records, but are disparate in terms of the quality of the actual teams and the quality of the competition they play against. RPI was conceived as a way of helping to determine which teams are better than others, and is used (abused?) to help the NCAA selection committe determine who gets invited to the dance, i.e. regionals. If it'll help illustrate the difference now, the Bulldogs are ranked #1 in the nation due to winning the college world series, but their RPI is still what it is, and that isn't anywhere near #1.

There are only 64 teams invited to NCAA Regionals, which is why Oregon State didn't get in this year even though they were two time defending national champions. OSU was the #65 team, the first one to miss the cut, but that doesn't refer to their RPI or national ranking, just where the selection committe placed them. Fresno was ranked #17 nationally on June 3rd and #8 on June 10th, and was the #4 seed in the Long Beach regional, which was the toughtest of the 16 regionals this year, in terms of quality of teams competing. RPI is a whole different animal that takes into account not only your record, but the records of the teams you played and some other factors such as wins vs. quality teams or losses to weaker teams to determine who the strongest teams are. RPI factored into why Oregon State missed making a regional, as they lost to some teams with lower RPI late in the season, and the selection committe used that as part of their excuse to invite Arkansas(who finished 9th, I believe, in the SEC) over OSU who comes from the Pac-10, which is a tougher conference despite what all the SEC fans want to believe. Arkansas sucked big time, got their butts kicked in the Stanford regional, where the #4 seed was UC Davis from the Big West Conference, and who clearly was a better team than the 9th place team from the SEC.

We were talking about two different things, you used the term rankings and meant RPI. I do know the difference, which is something the writer with the paper might not, and I'll bet ESPN either referred to RPI or said 89th nationally in terms of RPI. I can't imagine that ESPN would screw up bad enough to confuse rankings with RPI. If you're not totally into baseball you might not realize that rankings and RPI are two different animals. Yeah, they were 89th in RPI but were ranked 8th nationally only a few weeks ago. The WAC isn't considered one of the premier conferences in college baseball, they're a mid-major level conference, and that factored into why FSU had to win the WAC tournament to make it to the regional. Conference winners get in, so the regionals don't take all of the best teams. Some weaker conference winners got in, while teams like OSU that really deserved to be there got left out.

I enjoyed watching the bulldogs win it all. I was in Peoria, Arizona coaching one of my teams in USA Baseball's 16u championships when the final series vs. Georgia was being played. It was a great way to spend my down time watching the dawgs beat the dawgs. Personally, I've got a better Fresno State memory, though. It was them being handed their final regular season loss, at Sacramento State, when my nephew hit a walk off grand slam with two outs and a 1-2 count to give the Hornets a 9-8 win over the Bulldogs in the final weekend of the regular season. That was a very cool moment to watch. At that moment, it didn't matter if they were ranked 89th, 17th, 8th or 1st.

ELKNUTS.....GO BACK AND READ POST #18, I SAID SEED ..AS IN SEEDED. THATS EXACTLY WHAT ESPN SAID AS WELL, THEN THEY SHOWED THE GRAPHICS AS WELL. AT ANY RATE.....GO DOGS....YD.

OK, I went back and read #18, and it does indeed say 'seed'. Now, I really have to correct you, as the NCAA tournament only goes as far as 64 seeded teams. There are 16 regional tournaments, each with four teams, seeded 1-4 in each regional. The winners of each regional, all 16 of them, are paired together in 8 super regionals, and the winner of each super regional goes to Omaha to play in the college world series. There is no 89th seed in the tournament, ever. RPI is a different thing, and that's what everyone is referring to. A team's RPI doesn't seed them in the tournament, though their RPI, good or bad, can influence whether they're invited or not, and if so, where they're seeded, 1-64 so to speak.

If you need further clarification give me a specific question. I'll be seeing dozens of different D1 coaches in the next five days at the Area Code tryouts and at a tournament I'm running, so I can easily ask any question you'd like and get an answer directly from the guys whose jobs revolve around this stuff. Heck, if you want I'll even ask Matt Curtis of Fresno State, as he's coming to our games on Friday.

LOL....THIS IS STARTING TO GET FUNNY...JUST TELLING YOU WHAT ENPN SAID. NO....WE DONT NEED TO TALK TO MATT CURTICE....TAKE CARE.....YD.

You're right, I've kinda enjoyed pulling your chain but I'll behave myself now.

On a serious note, I've got 52 games scheduled this week in the tournament I referred to, so plenty of the coaches will be there, as it is the 1st week of open recruiting for the class of 2009 players, and a great opportunity for the best players to be seen competing against each other. For the coaches, it's a chance to recruit in a cost effetive manner, and see the best compete against each other. If you're around northern California and like good baseball, we'll be playing at U.C. Davis, Sacramento State and Pacific, as well as a city park field in Sacramento, Renfree Field. I was actually serious when I offered to ask a question as there are a bunch of college coaches who are coming to northern California this week to watch all these players. There'll be more than 50 coaches at Delta College on Wednesday, and over 20 at our tournament. It's a people business, and networking is part of how a lot of these kids get the deals they get. June, July and the first half of August are when most of these guys get the bulk of their work done for offering scholarships to the top incoming freshmen, it's a fun time for all concerned. And I'm not jerking your chain about that.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-29-08 AT 11:45PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jun-29-08 AT 11:44?PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Jun-29-08 AT 11:43?PM (MST)

DONT THINK YOU PULLED MY CHAIN AS MUCH AS YOU TRIPPED OVER YOUR OWN PECKER. YOU PUT WAY TOO MUCH TIME & ENERGY INTO A MUTE POINT .....FOR WHAT PURPOSE/POINT I DONT KNOW. GOOD LUCK....YD.

OK, you're right. I did get carried away and apoligize for being over the top. You just hit on a topic, baseball, that is one of my passions. I love hunting more than any other passtime, but most people would think baseball comes first. I've been really into it for years, lots of our players go on to play in college, a handful have been drafted and three are now playing minor league ball. I do tend to get over the top at times and sometimes get overly intense about the game with people who aren't as involved with it. Sorry about that!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom