Freezing a bear hide

mtmuley

Long Time Member
I realize it is not the best idea, but if a guy needed to freeze a hide, how long would be acceptable and not harm the hide? Thanks, mtmuley

Not a bad idea at all. Hides in a freezer can last years if it's a good freezer. ( If there is too much moisture, will cause freezer burn) Just make sure no heat gets trapped in your bear as you freeze. Some people roll hides tight and the hair on a bear traps heat and the hide can take a few weeks to freeze in places. This will allow bacteria to grow and the slipping of the hair will occur. Cool down the bear all the way open in a freezer until it's almost frozen (still flexible) then fold like a blanket and freeze the rest of the way. Just pm me if you need any other help or questions.
curtis wilson

I'm not a taxidermist (so don't have the same credentials as the previous answer) but I froze my own bear hide for 2 months before I could get it to the taxidermist I had chose.

My best friend had his bear frozen in my freezer for well over a year (procrastination this time) before he took it in. Both rugs are excellent. We had them skinned cleanly and cooled very well before we froze them (stored in a cardboard box). Both Dennis (my friend) and I are experienced hunters but neither of us had any kind of professional help. You will be able to do it.

Within the shadows, go quietly.

Thanks guys. My buddy has had the hide frozen for quite a while, but it is a heck of a bear and I'm hoping it will be in shape for a rug. I also figured if freezing was an option, I could put a bear on ice until funds were available for a rug. mtmuley

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom