Freezer

DeerMadness

Long Time Member
I responded to a thread didn't see it today but I could have searched. Cleaning out my Chest Freezer to make room for the Elk I hope to get in December. Freezer burnt hamburger - about 10 lbs. Babyback Ribs ok. Pork chops ok. T bone and Ribeye ok for some and others I need to eat soon. Anyway the Chest Freezer sucks but we use an upright too plus two fridges with one side and one bottom freezers. The chest freezers require and sorting every three or 3 months. I have 80 or 90 bucks of food to throw away including some pulled pork leftovers.
??

A really good vacuum sealer (ideally a chamber sealer) will resolve the issue of freezer burn.

Is the freezer burn pretty bad? Aside from the meat being dry and maybe the flavor getting sucked out, I imagine there's some magic you can do with a crock/instant pot

I always wrap everything in cellophane before I vacuum seal it never had any problems with freezer burn even if the vac bag loses its seal. Plus it saves a lot of clean up on the vac sealer.

I put most of the meat in my chest freezer in cardboard boxes. Never had a pack go bad. Or just filled it bottom up with a solid layer upon layer of ground elk.

I'll always spring for a stand up freezer....they are easy.
Freezer.jpg

I will from now on- especially T-Bone because the bone pierces the Seal -A- Meal sometimes.
I always wrap everything in cellophane before I vacuum seal it never had any problems with freezer burn even if the vac bag loses its seal. Plus it saves a lot of clean up on the vac sealer.

Please defrost that beast!
My beast is worse. It grows frost so quick. A Kenmore 25 cu ft Upright. My chest Freezer is only 7 cu ft. We probably have another 5 or 6 cu ft or nearly as much as the 7 cu ft chest freezer.
So maybe 38 cu ft of freezer space at my place.
I knew a guy that had a 25 cu ft upright filled to the brim with Vaccuum sealed Halibut and Salmon he caught in Alaska. That was about 20 years ago when the limit must have been large.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom