free horse ?

nuts4bucks

so my wifes friend has a 14 year old buckskin mare that so can not afford to have anymore she said that she is a really mellow horse and her 12 year old daughter does gymkana with her she told my wife that we could have her if we wanted for free she comes with two saddles (not sure of thier sizes i will have to have bhwar size them for me ) and all of the tack. i have limited knowledge about horses i rode a little when i was younger and a few times on guided hunts my kids took riding lessons for 6 months over the last year and a half, i have three acres in witch to keep her we have three daughters that are 8,9 and 16 and they are bugging the chit out of me about this my question is if i have the time and money to take care of her would it be a good decision to get her and how much work is involved in the upkeep of a horse also how much per year does hay cost to feed one horse

I know a few people that have horses and from what I understand, they are like a kid. You have to tend to them everyday, have them shoed, brushed, blah blah blah. I will probably never own any horses because of what I know these other owners go through.....unless I win the lottery and I can afford to pay someone else to take care of them.

Steve

There can be as much or as little as you want to put into horses. They do require maint, but not like a child. Not all horses require shoes, it depends on what you are planning on using it for whether or not it will require shoes. If you are just going to ride around the house and pasture then just trimming will suffice. If you plan to travel and take your kids to shows and 4-h type stuff then I would reccomend getting them shod.

As for hay, depending on where you are you can expect to pay 125-175 per ton of hay(alfalfa/brome mix). I purchased 10 big rounds in Dec and still have 5 left at this point and we are feeding 3 horses and 2 goats. You may have to supplement with grain if you are using your horses alot(shows/trail riding ect)

Horses are a pleasure to have around especially for the kids. Horses are like dogs in my family, you can get very attached and they can become great friends. Good luck in whatever you do. I think they are great.

Aim Center Mass
rifleman.gif

Are they 16 inch saddles? Because many people might be interested in them if they are. As long as you advertise it correctly!

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

Seems like at least half of my family in deep into team roping. My cousin won the high school National Championship in Wyoming a couple years ago and he's doing well in the PRCA. His dad and Mom both kick butt in most any roping they attend and two close family members are on the board of directors at the local Rodeo in my home town. Anyway, lots of roping going on, i grew up riding and taking care of horses. They're not for everybody, they weren't for me. As a young man, i proved that on foot, i could keep up with our ranch stock and felt like i had a lot less chance of getting hurt :)

Now, to pay for or borrow a ride to get back in some rough country once a year or so, that's a different story. I'm not so young anymore but still i wouldn't have a horse myself.

Joey

I think you should go ahead and take it.

Next year, when the topic comes up again, you will be an experienced info source.

I personnaly wouldn't have one up my azz, if I had room for a sawmill!

Takes about 100 two wire bales per horse, per year. You can get by with a yearly vaccination and deworming. Shoes every 3 or 4 months unless you arent going to ride in the rocks. In that case just a trim. About $1100-$1500 per year.

I grew up on horses. Can't stand havin 'em. I have found there are two kinds of horse owners, good and bad. You either treat the animal like it's part of the family, lots of attention, grooming, feeding, vaccinations, cleaning up horse pucky, riding it, etc..etc...and by so doing you will end up with a really good horse. Or you can use it when you want, groom it every now and then, ride it whenever, etc...etc...and you will most likely end up with a horse that could hurt someone.

Horses require a lot of human interaction to be good horses. Just remember, this ain't no house cat or lap dog, this is a big animal that weighs 1/2 a ton, and can be scared to death of a grocery bag. Just be totally aware of what you are getting into. Deal or no deal. Even if it's free it's gonna be a pain in the arse.

If she is just a pasture ornament then pass on the deal. If she gets ridden 4+ times a month by a teenager then you might be ok. But it is a mare and the word moody come to mind. Personally, I would never have a mare around. Best of luck but be careful, they will all hurt you and it is usually your fault. I think the other posts did well on breaking it down.

-------------------------
www.sagebasin.com
-------------------------

I would take it in a heartbeat, But then I like horses alot and caring for them isn't a big deal to me.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Iff you want her and can take care of her get her. You'll have to shoe her in the spring through fall its best to shoe them every 8 weeks and then trim her up for winter. You'll need to clean her feet out in the winter as needed.shoeing will cost around 60 dollars per job trims will go about 25 bucks. As for feed you will feed roughly 20 lbs of hay per day. Thatll be about 4 ton a year. At about 150 a ton. The maintenance part should be something you'll come to enjoy. You also have to think about getting a trailer to haul her. It sucks to borrow all the time and if there is an emergency you'll want your own trailer. Also keep in mind worming and west nile vaccines. If she is a problem when she is in heat get her spayed. Shell be just like a gelding after that. If you get her be prepared, it may become addicting. You might find yourself horse poor in no time. Horses are great good luck.

Initial cost of a horse is nothing compared to the maintenance, but if you have three acres with any kind of feeding prospect, ie pasture, then that somewhat supplements the feed issue. Still need to supplement hay and other stuff, but not as much if you have pasture.

Shoeing is actually every 6-8 weeks depending on the horse, but you can push it to 9-10 if you are lucky. Hay prices very quite a bit depending on location. In the Phoenix area, its become pretty expensive due to the loss of most of the alfalfa fields to houses. Hundred pound three wire (now nylon) bails run $9-$15 depending on the supplier and the time of year.

Worming meds are cheap and only need to be done a few times per year. Shots are once or twice a year again depending on where you live. Some get away with no shots, but its a good idea to keep them up.

If your girls take to the horse and stay involved, its a wonderful way to keep them away from TV, drugs, the wrong crowd etc. That's the intangible. Besides, if this horse can carry out an elk ..... what a plus!

I'd say go for it if you even think you can afford it.
264X300

thanks for all the input from everybody we did get the horse and so far so good all three of my girls love her to death the 7 and 8 year old like to take of the feeding and the 16 year old is in charge of the clean-up the take turns riding her for about an hour a day she is really mellow and dont seem to mind our dogs and we have 6 of them if yuo all have anymore tips for a rookie horse owner feel free to post them or p.m. me thank you all your input helped with my decision p.s now i am the best daddy in the world

I take my horses out on my lawn weekly I don't mow it anymore they keep it pretty short,Have a beer or two and watch them eat.We(wife and Me) sit and talk about the day, it a good catchup time for us too. You can see my horse and mule up on the general forum, It worth all you have to do year around for those weeks your hunting in the backcountry IMO.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Don't forget to find a good reliable Vet

Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear. - Mark Twain

+1 on what the real Joey said.

A couple good friends of mine that are horse guys think I am goofy when I pass up a horse for two good feet that won't get pi$$y and buck me off!! The feet keep up pretty good as well.

?Life is like a ten speed bike. Most of us have gears we never use!?

+1 on the grass clippings

Make sure you worm her and get her yearly shots, especially the west nile. Their is a worming schedule that helps.

January/February

Anthelcide EQ Paste or
Panacur Paste or
Safe-Guard Paste

March/April

Agri-Mectin Paste or
Equell Paste or
EquiMAX Paste or
Equimectrin Paste or
Horse Health Ivermectin Paste or
IverCare Paste or
Quest Gel or
Quest Plus Gel or
Rotectin 1.87% Paste or
Zimecterin Paste or
Zimecterin Gold Paste

May/June

Equi-Cide Paste or
Rotectin P Paste or
Strongid Paste or
StrongyleCare Paste or
TapeCare Plus Paste

July/August

Anthelcide EQ Paste or
Panacur Paste or
Safe-Guard Paste

September/October

Agri-Mectin Paste or
Equell Paste or
EquiMAX Paste or
Equimectrin Paste or
Horse Health Ivermectin Paste or
IverCare Paste or
Quest Gel or
Quest Plus Gel or
Rotectin 1.87% Paste or
Zimecterin Paste or
Zimecterin Gold Paste

November/December

Equi-Cide Paste or
Rotectin P Paste or
Strongid Paste or
StrongyleCare Paste or
TapeCare Plus Paste

Also.. the best hay to feed her during the summer is grass, and if its a hard winter, I recommend either a mix or straight alfalfa. I don't recommend feeding alfalfa during the summer or spring. It could make her really 'hot'.
JMO.

So now you know why everyone has a 4 wheeler and everytime you go shed hunting all you see are atv tracks everywhere.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom