Fre Impacts, Salmon Region

S

Salmonfg

LAST EDITED ON Aug-17-12 AT 04:10PM (MST)[p](Sorry - should read Fire Impacts, won't let me edit the subject line)

From a news release I prepared today - should be on the IDFG web site shortly.

Two large wildfires and associated area closures imposed by the U.S. Forest Service will likely impact early-season hunting opportunities in parts of Game Management Units (GMUs) 21, 27, 36, and 36B.

The Halstead fire closure currently includes all of GMU 36 north of Highways 21 and 75, as well as smaller areas south of those highways; most of GMU 36B west of Squaw Creek; and the southern portion of GMU 27, roughly south of the Middle Fork Salmon River and Sleeping Deer road. The closure area for the Mustang fire includes all of GMU 21 west of Indian Creek and the eastern portion of GMU 20.

Up-to-date fire information is available through the InciWeb web site. Specific links, which include updates, maps, and additional contact information are
Halstead fire: http://www.inciweb.org/incident/3062/
Mustang fire: http://www.inciweb.org/incident/3100/

Impacts may last well into September, and possibly October.

Idaho Fish and Game does not recommend closing hunts or altering season dates in response to fire restrictions. Hunters affected by a fire closure can adjust their schedule to hunt later in the season or exchange general tags to hunt in a different area. But tags must be exchanged before the season begins (Aug 30 for general archery seasons). Hunters with controlled hunt tags may exchange them for general season tags before the controlled hunt begins. Controlled hunt fees will not be refunded. Hunters may contact licensing at 208-334-2592, or a license vendor.

Fish and Game will consider requests for rain checks or refunds in the event that access to a hunting unit is blocked by fire. Hunters requesting a rain check will be required to submit their tags and permits with a letter describing the conditions of their request. Rain checks would be evaluated case-by-case at the end of the hunting season. Rain checks would be valid in 2013 and offered only for the same species and hunt area as the hunter held in 2012. Written requests should be sent to the license section at Fish and Game, P.O. Box 25, Boise ID 83707 when the season is over.

Tom Keegan
IDFG Salmon Region Wildlife Manager

Not good. I was heading up there to elk hunt in mid september. It may be on fire or already burnt up. Long term I think this will be great for the heards in this area but not for hunting this year. Oh well what can you do.

Thanks Tom. I was thinking about exploring Sleeping Deer, but I guess that will have to wait for another season.

thanks for the update

Broomd,

Are you still heading into your sheep area? I will be leaving in 9 days. Im hoping the smoke won't make it impossible to hunt. I talked to a couple people yesterday that said the middle fork is clear of smoke at the moment. It really all depends on the wind.

good luck

ridgelineoutdoors.com

LAST EDITED ON Aug-18-12 AT 10:25AM (MST)[p]Ironic, Muleymemories, I was going to email you about this as well.

Yes, as long as the road is open I'll head in in about ten, eleven days. Unlike your gig, MM, I think I might have less tags to deal with in my unit.
Glassing could be tough in smokey conditions...I'm hoping the Stoddard bridge repair work is done, but the crews might have slowed down with the road closed and conditions as they are.

Keep me posted and I'll do the same.

My experience with smoke coming from fires, is that unless it is really close it is not much of an issue. The exception is early in the mornings when the smoke gets trapped down in the valleys. I have been hunting at 10,000' in the Pioneer zone for 8 years now, and there have been fire nearly every year. We go in thinking that smoke is going to be an issue, but never seems to be a problem. Leaving On the 31st for a 8 day solo elk hunt. Hope we get some cooler temps soon. Good Luck to all!

>LAST EDITED ON Aug-18-12
>AT 10:25?AM (MST)

>
>Ironic, Muleymemories, I was going to
>email you about this as
>well.
>
>Yes, as long as the road
>is open I'll head in
>in about ten, eleven days.
> Unlike your gig,
>MM, I think I might
>have less tags to deal
>with in my unit.
>Glassing could be tough in smokey
>conditions...I'm hoping the Stoddard bridge
>repair work is done, but
>the crews might have slowed
>down with the road closed
>and conditions as they are.
>
>
>Keep me posted and I'll do
>the same.

The trailhead is still open so I plan on being in my unit on the 29th ready to hunt sheep! Counting down the days... They are calling for more thunderstorms and possible rain this next week. We could surly use the rain!

ridgelineoutdoors.com

"The trailhead is still open so I plan on being in my unit on the 29th ready to hunt sheep! Counting down the days... They are calling for more thunderstorms and possible rain this next week. We could surly use the rain!"

Man, let's hope so!

I'm planning on heading in as well.

Sorry, I do not have any information on that yet. Smaller fires generally do not make it to InciWeb or other outlets until they reach 100 acres or so.

Tom Keegan
IDFG Salmon Region Wildlife Manager

I love that area. It is so big. It is the only place where I have hunted for days and never run into anyone. If the deer and elk grew larger antlers, I would go every year. I'll be up there for the wolf hunt for sure.

;-) Mickey Mouse Outfitters provides an experience you will never forget, because we always do it Micky Mouse style. We always guarantee shots. It might be at the ground or in the air, but it's a guarantee we are committed to.

Update to closures:

Mustang Complex -
All of Unit 21 is currently closed to entry and the closure was expanded to include Unit 21A north of Fourth of July Creek.

Halstead Fire -
The small closure area in the northwest corner of Unit 36A was lifted.

I've been holding off hunting 20-a sheep due to horrible glassing/visiblity there, I do have time set aside for all of the Oct season if I need it...has anyone been down near 27-2 or 26 to verify conditions?

>I've been holding off hunting 20-a
>sheep due to horrible glassing/visiblity
>there, I do have time
>set aside for all of
>the Oct season if I
>need it...has anyone been down
>near 27-2 or 26 to
>verify conditions?

broomd, replied to your pm

ridgelineoutdoors.com

Halstead update:

USFS lifted clousures for a large portion. Areas now open include
36B
36 south of Hwy 75 and east of Yankee Fork
27 east of Loon Cr

Please check the Inciweb web site for detailed information.

Spent the week down there immediately south of unit 21 hunting in 20-a and it was almost a total waste of time glassing for sheep--especially considering there are so few to begin with. The conditions in the Middle Fork corridor were unbelievable. Hardcore climbing in London fog-thick smoke wasn't much fun either.

Very unfortunate.

Major kudos to the fire crews in that country for working their butts off to battle the blazes. Being right there one can see that it has been a real battle down there.

Salmonfg?

What is the consequence for hunting in a section of your unit that has been temporarily been closed due from fire activity?

According the Inciweb site (US Forest Service closures):

"Violations of the Closure Order are punishable by fines of up to $5000 for an individual and $10,000 for an organization and/or imprisonment for up to six months."

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom