Frank's Desert Bighorn Sheep

B

BuschHunter

4afe43737128c334.jpg

BuschHunter,

Congrats on a GREAT desert Bighorn. If you are not involved, love to have you get invovled with Utah FNAWS. Utah FNAWS has invested over $5 Million over the last 20 years and we have seen an increase from 1,500 sheep to over 5,000. 32 transplants, 33 major land conservation projects.

The event is Dec. 5. There will be 4 sheep hunts in drawings, three Dall, one stone sheep.

You can also check out more sheep hunting for your dad and yourself at www.fullcurl.org. there are 16 sheep hunts associate with the Western Hunting Expo.

4 new sheep areas will be open to Utah sheep hunters in 2010.

if you would like some more information, you can email me at [email protected]

its in your blood now, sheep fever !

Congrats on a great looking desert ram. After hunting for my own desert sheep in Utah this year I have developed high respect for these majestic animals.

Those places in Utah sure do make for outstanding photos for desert sheep. Congrats, and thanks for sharing!

The four new units will be three for Rocky Mtns.

Stansbury - sheep came from Antelop Island
Pilot Mountain - sheep came from Antelope Island and Nevada
Goslin Mountain - sheep came from Montana

Desert Unit - ONE new one.

Zions - sheep came from Nevada. Probably 4 desert permits in 2010 on this unit.

On another note, there will be a total of 16 sheep hunts offered for those who attend the Expo in SLC. There will be 7 dall sheep hunts and 3 or 4 stone sheep hunts amongst them.

YOu can check out the information at www.fullcurl.org or at www.huntexpo.com and click on the 200 permits.

Stone and Dall sheep hunts are very pricey. However Karl Malone and some other guys, have put up some HUGE money to help acquire these hunts and then provide them in various drawings for those who attend teh expo for some minimal application fees $10 or $40, to win a $20,000 or $35,000 hunt.

The reason that karl and i and others are working on this project is to see young guys, who draw a desert or rocky, to then be able to go one and get a Dall or stone hunt as well.

Once sheep hunting gets in your blood, it is there.

And, as one hunter mentioned, sheep hunting can be the hardest and most frustrating hunt, and THEN the MOST rewarding.

To set a life long goal to get all four sheep, and then to do it is pretty rewarding. I know ten guys who completed the Full Curl this year, pretty cool to do, so set your goal and work to get it done.

glad to answer any questions about the sheep hunts at the Expo or at the Full Curl Socitey meeting, which will be at the Expo on Saturday afternoon.

don Peay
[email protected]

if you want a direct email.

glad to see lots of happy sheep hunters !!

LAST EDITED ON Nov-20-09 AT 04:45AM (MST)[p]There is one real PIG of a Ram on the Goslin unit and a couple of just huge ones! ha

There is no way I have seen all the Rams on Goslin!!--so who knows about a bigger one!

Pilot use to be a real good unit and you could hunt the Nv. side as well.
Those of you that remember Bob Mastrinardi (God bless his soul) wore me out over a wknd out there on the Pilot a few years back.
It is great to see it (Pilot) come back to life and to see the Mnt. Lion population be put in a more controlled numbers.

My Mrs is already 'tweaking my ear' to put in for the new Zion Unit as she loves hiking in that area and has some great D-Ram photo's---out of the park boundaries.

Robb

Robb,

thanks for the report. Yes, teh Goslin unit with Montana genetics should have some dandy rams.

the count on teh Pilot was very encouraging.

lots of excitement for Utah sheep hunters !

Don,
Is there going to be some sheep put on the Oak Creeks this Year? That is some good looking sheep country. And how are the sheep that got transplanted into Indian Canyon doing this year? Also, I wouldn't be suprised if the state record was taken off of the Zion unit, there are some huge rams up there.

No doubt, as you know Don, those sheep criss-cross Hyw 191 alot..into my favorite unit!
And vice-a-versa.......

I am already in big trouble with the Ole Ex-Marine for saying what I have already said------as he is going to draw the Goslin tag in 2010.......but I wanted to post a few photo's...maybe not.....

The Marine is already planning a covert operation to give me a 'Blanket Party'-- for saying anything!

Robb

Hey BuschHunter whats Stribby hiding back there for? Thats some cool pics u guys set up there. Congrats to frank on his ram.

Thanks for all the great comments on my Dad's ram! I think what Don Peay has done with the Full Curl Society is great! The new sheep hunts and increase in the number of permits will give more people the chance to hunt wild sheep! I have attached a couple pics of another ram we saw on my dads hunt. I also have a couple more live photo's of rams that i will get posted.

4b09ed311f21c711.jpg

4b09ed68206e48f3.jpg

Great pics i cant wait to start hunting sheep my wife has 8 points on the pine valley /virgin river gorge unit how many points are most people drawing on.

RE: Good news.. bad news..

longshooter338,
Check out the "Check Your Draw Odds...Click Here" at the top of the page, follow the instructions, enter your info and do the math. I briefly looked at it and....

Bad news first..I assume that your wife had 7 points for the 2009 draw. So there are roughly 140 people, including the 41 others who also had 7 points, with or ahead of her in that particualr unit and probably worse in most of the other units. So you may be years out for the 1 bonus point tag they give for that unit or any unit.

Now for the good news. Thanks to alot of very generous people with both time and money the sheep in Utah are doing fantastic. And because of this we're all seeing more sheep in this state, new sheep units opening, more tags plus bonus point tags. Important thing is don't miss the drawing and when ever you get depressed about how many people are ahead of her, just look at all the people behind her.

Good luck to you and your wife, and wear your earplugs with that sweetshooting howitzer. My ears are still ringing from being in the wrong place at the right time with a buddy who shoots one.