Forum etiquette - specific area names

BPKHunter

Very Active Member
Just read a few posts and was considering what the "majority" feeling is on talking about specific areas on where to hunt, or even about where you hunted. I know some opinions will get cross here, so it would be good to not get personal, we have no control over what anyone does anyway.

I certainly do not agree with giving any specific names of small roads, drainages,etc. I have NO problem with units and general large areas like Middlefork of Boise, N of Emmett, or Unit 23.

I do think that PM's are a better way to help with more specific areas.

I also feel it's great to help with things like, deer are moving, deer are low, etc.

I also feel giving out much if any area specific info in general units is bad, even via PM. Takes too much work to figure areas out and people should plan to put in the work. Now, I do give advice such as, "early start high, look for water sources..... and after storms look for migration routes on your maps..." but do not include names of peak's, drainages, etc.

I don't mind giving more specific info on hard to draw areas such as late deer, elk in 44, 40, etc since those are closer to once in a lifetime and often late buck areas are not the same as general season, as in unit 32 for example.

One harsher criticism, NEVER show a pic or even mention where a big buck/bull is hanging and give specifics as people will POACH no matter the time of year no matter how close to civilization.

Thoughts?

I agree with you, we live in a sad world where people poach and posting a pic of a nice buck by a certain dump should be harmless.

As far as area's some units are so huge if you say the unit it really wont matter. I also Bow hunt in Washington state and I switched hunting areas, I gave my old spot a good bye and told another guy about it on the forum. He ends up shooting a nice buck the next year, then tells all his friends about that area, which is pure fail. I learned my lesson.

I was at the bow range talk to some guys about elk hunting, I told them we hunting near Sun valley, and they said they hunt in the woods in the west hills... I guess its each to there own.

And then there are some folks who see a pic of the buck you shot and ask you were you got it, then you tell them the worst unit in the state lol

If you want to ruin your spot tell someone about it. This site has no doubt done that time and time again. People would be foolish to think they could just walk in and pick the low hanging fruit with out putting in some effort. That being said I am often surprised what some are willing to share but are they being genuine?

My favorite hunts are because they were with friends and family not just because "I got one".

"etiquette jag offs" my deepest apologizes for ada county landfill, off seamans gulch rd, buck picture i had no idea that MM forums were breeding grounds for poachers!! thought it was just for friendly banter

If someone offers info to someone else is that really hurting anyone? If you dont like helping people out then dont, its pretty simple. Nobody has secret spots anymore, you just might be lucky and nobody is there when you happen to be but someone else always knows about it. Were lucky here in Idaho that we can have places to hunt without alot of others around. It doesnt bother me to point someone in the right direction. What comes around goes around.

I only get to hunt about 20 days a year, but spend probably another 60 scouting and locating good animals. Someday it'll be me with the premium tag and I hope someone helps me out also. Its pretty tough to stockpile animals from year to year, and on public land it gets more crowded every time out.

My kids and friends nicknamed me "Dr. Death" years ago, 'cause if you have a tag and I don't then I'll walk you right in to a good one. I just love the experience of being along on a hunt.

The Idaho Super tag moose fell last week, to just such a deserving hunter, who happened to ask the right question. :)

I couldn't agree more with this thread!!
People are so stupid when it comes to giving up their spots.

Apparently they've never experienced the sinking feeling of arriving at the trailhead and seeing 3 trucks already parked there.

Or maybe they are just arrogant and think that they are better hunters than everyone else and that even if someone knows about their spots, they still won't thin the herd.
Well in the days of 1000 yard rifles, everyone is a good hunter and way too good at killing.

I understand helping people out, but be careful everyone.

Everyone has the right to tell whoever they want especially if they found the spot themselves. I've told friends of good spots and they go there and don't see anything and they think I'm lying to them. Oh well. It's not a matter of etiquette unless I am telling a spot you told me.

anyone on this forum can give out whatever information they wish. thats their call. may not be the smarted idea, but it's still their call. if we're talking etiquette, it should be addressed to the new folks that show up with a handful of posts asking for information. that $hit drives me crazy. but, i guess they can ask whatever they want too.

Deepforks said what i was going to. People CAN and WILL say whatever they want to. clearly not the smartest thing, but its their downfall. in terms of the poaching thing though, people need to be smart about posting about bucks in closed areas and such. Any ways this is a public forum, not a government website or something

yep, dum a$$ ^^, no matter how well your post was worded and how much i agree with it, one typo deems it invalid!!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom