Forest River travel trailers

BigPig

Very Active Member
Anyone know anything about this brand? The look nice in pictures but are $2-5K less than other comparable models of other brands? Is that telling me something? Are they junk or what?

For example, a 18-19' Forest River is $10-12K, and a comparable Fleetwood Pioneer is $15-16K.

What gives?

Perhaps a better question is to ask which brands have a good reputation of quality and which are ones to avoid?

LAST EDITED ON Mar-28-10 AT 08:05PM (MST)[p]I am not an expert but here is my experience with Fleetwood. They are mass produced piles of sh it. I bought one brand new in 02. Everything that could go wrong did. Poor craftsmanship from the trim to the flooring. That same year my father in law bought a fleetwood and had similar problems. Friends to!!

I have owned Kit, no issues. Dutchmen 32 ft fifth wheel no issues.

The last rig I bought was a 38' Jayco Eagle with trip slides. I used it for two years and never had a problem with it. I sold it last year because my kids started BMX and other things.

If Yugo made trailers I would buy that before a Fleetwood. Good luck on whatever you decide. As mentioned above look at the reputations of the manufactures.

They make Motorhomes also, check this one out, looks pretty darn nice.
http://www.lazydays.com/BrandModelList.aspx?Brand=ForestRiver

Brian
2yy7c76.jpg

BPig, I picked a used one up last spring. I have owned motorhomes (3) from new (Fleetwood), used (Winnebago), and also a new Lance Camper. The Forest River seems to be put together well and no problems encountered so far. I bought this for hauling a Rhino and will use it a lot down the road. All seams, moulding, drawers, faucets, and appliances are in good shape. No leaks or other issues. It's a 2003 and is as good or better a unit than we've ever owned.

BigPig I think if I was going to buy another rig I would buy used. I browse the adds from time to time and some great deals are out there.

I am looking at slightly used or leftover now-old stock. I wouldn't buy a brand new one off the lot.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-29-10 AT 04:36PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Mar-29-10 AT 04:28?PM (MST)

First of all, most all manufacturers will offer several different brands that are marketed as entry, mid, and high level as far as quality and options are concerned.

The Pioneer is the entry level model from Fleetwood so it's going to be the most economical trailer they make that will have basic cabinets, flooring, etc and an unsealed and non insulated underbelly along with a lighter frame. Forest River makes several entry level trailers that would be comparable to the Pioneer such as the Salem and Wildwood.

I guess the moral of the story is not to judge any manufacturer by their entry level stuff, because it's all about the same!

I've bought and sold a few trailers over the past couple of years and started off with the Pioneer. For the price, it's as good as anything you'll find. The next trailer was a Layton (made by Skyline) and it was upgraded with the sealed underbelly and noticably nicer fit & finish. Last Summer I decided to go with a 5th wheel and went with a Keystone Laredo and I've been very pleased with it, not only does it have a sealed underbelly, but it's fully enclosed and heated--comes in nice during late Fall!

Sorry to keep beating the dead horse named "sealed underbelly" but if you opt for one that's not sealed plan on having some guests, 4 legged guests that get into your food and crap on your pillow....

>that is very good information.
>Pardon my ignorance but how
>can I tell if the
>underbelly is sealed?

Just look under it...

I would look for a trailer that has sat on the lot for a couple years if you want a good deal. Forest River does make some nice trailers, especially in their econo line. There are alot of differences in tralers, make sure you take your time and look at alot of them before you buy. I have had a few of them and as a piece of advice from me to you, the first thing I do when I look at buying a new trailer is sit on the toilet. If you are spending the cash make sure it is what you will like. To me there is nothing worse than a toilet you cant sit on without your legs crossed (and Im not a big guy) If your going to use it hunting then you should look for a four season coach (they will have a sealed under belly) I have a 35' Thor Jazz fifth wheel whith duel slides, I use it alot and they are good quality rigs. Like I said befor though, take your time and look at everything before you buy, or you will buy one and see the one you want the next week and be really pissed you didn't look more before.

And when I look under it, I look for what? What "seals" it? Or is it that obvious that I will know when I see it.

I've looked under some and I see wiring and plumbing under the floor. Does that mean it is not sealed if I can see those things?

I don't really think I need 4 season. I'm mostly a bowhunter so this would be used during early seasons and during fair weather for family camping.

>And when I look under it,
>I look for what?
>What "seals" it? Or
>is it that obvious that
>I will know when I
>see it.
>
>I've looked under some and I
>see wiring and plumbing under
>the floor. Does that
>mean it is not sealed
>if I can see those
>things?
>
>I don't really think I need
>4 season. I'm mostly
>a bowhunter so this would
>be used during early seasons
>and during fair weather for
>family camping.

If the plumbing and wiring is exposed then it's not sealed! The ones that are will have a heavier black mesh that kind of looks like trampoline material that will cover everything between the two I-beams of the frame.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-01-10 AT 05:27AM (MST)[p]Wildwood and Salem are not cheap trailers.

Another thing to consider when looking at trailers are the build differences between "light" models and standard. The Light models are built cheaper. (true among all manufactures).

Forest river does not make a trailer comparable to say a Comfort or Nash (best built). All their trailers are pretty much second tier(like dutchman level quality). They do not make a low end like the pioneer.

My 2004 T23 Salem has been great, BTW the underneath is sealed!

Was nicer-more for the money than a comparable Dutchman and Skamper, it had the most counter top space, tinted windows and electric slide out verses a slightly bigger Dutchman that did not have these features-both were priced the same.

Have you thought about looking at toy haulers ? Alot of used toy haulers out there for sale . If you have or ever get a four wheeler in the future ?

just be careful whatever you buy, alot of the manufactures have gone out of business or have renamed.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom