FORD F150 OR TOYOTA TUNDRA?

highcountryhays

I am in the market for a new 4x4. Can't make up my mind between 5.7 Toyota Tundra crewmax or the F150 ecoboost.

Looking for some helpful input.

No comparison!!! Ford 150 easy. I just bought a supercrew with the 5.0 Coyote motor and absolutely love it. I drove both and to me it wasn't even close.

Government doesn't fix anything and has spent trillions proving it!!!
Let's face it...After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says WTF!

My dad bought a 2012 ecoboost brand new.. Biggest piece of dog sh!t i've ever seen. 12mpg in town 16 on the highway. And he He's not one to drive fast or have his foot to the floor.. POS

Tundra all day long. I own 2 of them. I also own 2 transmission shops.

No matter what the domestic car makers say EVERY single year for the last 30 years, the still make a inferior car to toyotas.

Not even close.

Buy once, cry once.

Cant go wrong with Toyota. I bought my current tundra because my last Toyota had zero problems. So far I love my Tundra and have no complaints. I have not driven an eco boost yet but have heard good things. If I had not bought the tundra I would have went with a diesel. If you plan on selling and getting new or different vehicle in the future you can't beat the resale value of toyota trucks.

Toyota for sure, they are much better vehicles, and hold there value. Plus they are more American built than the Mexican assembled fords are. Unfortanately I have a Ford, only because a new Toyota is so expensive, but next purchase for me will be a Toyota.

One more for Yota. I have 230,000 on my Tundra still goin strong, not one single problem with it. Ford=junk!

4afddbfa2842588e.jpg

I drive an F150 as my company vehicle. What a piece of crap. No comparison between that and my Tundra. None. I'd venture to guess most who like the Ford have never driven a Toyota.

Toyota all the way,started driveing one in 1982.Have a Tundra Crew Max today and love it.How many do see alone the road with the hood up? none!

Another vote for Tundra, I have an '08 with 90k on it and its is great! My Dad has an '04 or '05 F150. Granted it isnt the new eco boost but he loves my tundra and will most likely be switching once he buys a new truck next time around.

No way can you compare quality of a ford to toyota. That is like saying a bowl of mac n cheese is on par with a 20oz elk steak.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

LAST EDITED ON Apr-27-13 AT 10:10AM (MST)[p]Depends on where you live. I live in a small town and the closest Toyata dealer is 60 miles away. Big negative when you have any work done. Know someone who bought a volvo SUV, another vehicle that is known for quality and low problems. They had a couple of serious problems and it was sure a hassle to have the work done so far away. I see you live in Bakersfield, and they should have a Toyota dealership, but for us in small towns it is an issue to consider.

As for me, I have always had good luck with F-150s. Currently own two. One is a personal supercrew with 190,000 miles on it. No big problems ever with it and it is still going strong. And when I do have an issue, the service dept is right down the street. My other one (work truck) has 68,000 miles on it and no problems yet.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Just bought an ecoboost super crew. I love it. I get about 17 in town and about 21 on the highway. The power is amazing and the room in the back is incredible.

I had a 2011 tundra and loved the truck, just recently traded it in on a dodge 3500. I only had 42k miles on it when I traded it but no issues on it yet and I was always towing and hauling with it. It had the 5.7 engine, level lift, bigger tires, cold air intake with throttle body spacer, and air bags for towing. Getting about 12 doing 75-80 towing a side by side with a wheeler in the bed and 16-18 empty. The only thing I didn't like about the truck was the 21 gallon fuel tank.

Lovin my 2011 5.7 trd. Put the cold air intake and am thinking about the leveling kit to get that front dif a little higher.

Did you guys notice a diff in handling or tire wear after the mod?

How did you level it? How much did you spend.

I get 16.5-17.5 mpg around down and 21ish on road trips.

Bought it for the reliability, resale value and when I need to pull my boat and the occasional horse trailer.

I'm also curious about the cost of leveling a Tundra and whether it makes any difference in handling.

I don't have any experience with the F-150, other than reading every objective consumer report that I could get my hands on, and that why I went with the Tundra in the first place. Tundras are not without flaw however. I just hit 120K on my '07 and the 4WD just went out. Does not look like it's going to be a cheap fix, either--going to have to replace the transfer case... :-(

Don't know alot about the TOY's?

But I have noticed my Heavy Tire Chains wouldn't be possible to put on the Front Tires due to Suspension Interference on the TOYOTA's,WTF?

Gotta Run something that'll pack Tire Chains all the way around!

Most of you Guys Buy 4x4 TOYOTA's just to Run up & Down Main Street?

Oh I get it!

TOYOTA's will go where Fords with Chains won't,Right?

The Dew I had for Breakfast wasn't Bad so I had one more for Dessert!:D

>I'm also curious about the cost
>of leveling a Tundra and
>whether it makes any difference
>in handling.
>
>I don't have any experience with
>the F-150, other than reading
>every objective consumer report that
>I could get my hands
>on, and that why I
>went with the Tundra in
>the first place. Tundras
>are not without flaw however.
> I just hit 120K
>on my '07 and the
>4WD just went out.
>Does not look like it's
>going to be a cheap
>fix, either--going to have to
>replace the transfer case...
>:-(

Can't be the Transfer Case!

We've been told above that TOYOTA's don't Break!

>Don't know alot about the TOY's?
>
>
>But I have noticed my Heavy
>Tire Chains wouldn't be possible
>to put on the Front
>Tires due to Suspension Interference
>on the TOYOTA's,WTF?
>
>Gotta Run something that'll pack Tire
>Chains all the way around!
>
>
>Most of you Guys Buy 4x4
>TOYOTA's just to Run up
>& Down Main Street?
>
>Oh I get it!
>
>TOYOTA's will go where Fords with
>Chains won't,Right?
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>The Dew I had for Breakfast
>wasn't Bad so I had
>one more for Dessert!:D

Maybe that is why my wheel wells are gone on my 00 tundra. Try a donut tire and maybe the chains will fit.

Bess, I am not a big fan of lifts. I put slightly narrower and taller tires than stock on mine and do get the chains on. If they are not just right you will be leaving pieces of your truck behind. :)

Hey Paul!

Not Knockin the TOY's!

Seen that there wasn't any clearance for chains on the few I've looked at!

LAST EDITED ON Apr-28-13 AT 01:03PM (MST)[p]With a set of siped Toyo Open Country MT's you don't need chains. I don't just cruise up and down main street either Bess ;-)
7831z.jpg

~Z~

Hey ~Z~!

I'll show you a few Places Chains are Required!:D

It won't be on Main Street Niether!:D

ELK-ASS You can't put tire chains on the 2011 Ford-150 either. less than 1/2 inch clearance. Outside of that I like the one I got.

>ELK-ASS You can't put tire chains
>on the 2011 Ford-150 either.
>less than 1/2 inch clearance.
>Outside of that I like
>the one I got.

Thanks!

I didn't know that!

Guess it won't be long & they won't be selling a Rig a Guy can Use & Abuse?:D

Sure looks like Toyota could get some better Fuel Mileage?

Hard not to think about a CUMMINS with 800 ft lbs of Torque & 20 MPG!

Ya,I'm thinking/Talkin the Older Cummins,these Newer Ones sure are Thirsty!

Just seems the TOYOTA'S of today would/should be gettin better Mileage?

I recently had the same question and ended up buying an F-150 w/ Ecoboost. I really like the Toyotas but the Ecoboost engine was too much to pass up. I drive 60 miles a day to and from work and I am averaging 22 to 23 mpg on the freeway -- and I still have plenty of power to tow my trailer on weekends. That is quite a bit better than we get in my wife's Toyota Sequoia. The real test will be to see how the Ford does long term. I hope I am still happy 5 years from now. Time will tell.

Hawkeye

Browning A-Bolt 300 Win Mag
Bowtech Destroyer
Winchester Apex .50 Cal

I like Fords a lot, I really appreciate them not being bailed out, that being said, I don't like to part with my hard earned money so I drive a '10 Tundra. 85,000 miles and I replaced a front shock once and tires. Not even brakes yet, even though it is almost time. My Dad drives an 01 Tundra with 290,000. replaced fuel pump at 235,000 and timing chain recently so it didn't go out. I guess I could weld my hood shut until at least 300,000.
I have an 01 cummins that I really like also, but it leaks like a sieve and doesn't even have 200,000 on it. Also this past year replaced alternator, injector pump, rebuilt tranny and front end rebuilt.

So Kingfish, according to your logic, the best music artist right now is Justin Bieber? He sells the most albums, right? Just checking.

Vi Et Armis Invictus Maneo

My point is 35 years running!!! How does that compare to Justin Bieber??

Unless your making billions of dollars from it's sale over the past 35 years!!! I bet that means something to Ford?

>Case closed!!!
>
>http://social.ford.com/our-articles...eries-trucks-number-one-for-35-years-running/
>
>
>Government doesn't fix anything and has
>spent trillions proving it!!!
>Let's face it...After Monday and Tuesday,
>even the calender says WTF!
>

I always thought this was a comical statistic marketed by Ford. Ever notice that Chevrolet and GMC are not listed as the same truck when being considered as "sold". If you were to combine them as one truck which they actually are, I'd like to see how long of a streak Ford has then....
Mntman

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

And McDonald's makes the very best hamburgers, right? They sell twice as many hamburgers as everyone else put together. They must be the best.

Vi Et Armis Invictus Maneo

>The point is that popularity doesn't
>mean much, other than it's
>popular.
>
>Vi Et Armis Invictus Maneo

Dryfly, can you take that to the bank?

Personally I can't stand Beiber, but if he were to ever sell the most records/songs of any artist in any genre, then yes I would submit to him being the best at the time.

In a competitive market place the product with the most sales IS arguably "The Best".

Individuals like us look at a very small picture (piece of the pie) when we look at things like pickups and ask questions on a hunting forumn about which truck is best. What kind of answer do you really think one will receive on an internet forumn such as this???

There are many factors to consider before anyone can jump to an all-encompassing revelation that Ford is better than Toyota or Visa Versa.

In my opinion (the facts back this up) The Ford F-150 is "overall" superior to any other 1/2 Ton pickup.

There are many reasons why the F-150 is has been the #1 selling pickup for 35 years, and it ain't becuse it is an inferior product!

Example: Oil & Gas production & exploration
The companies in this line of business are every bit as hard on trucks as any other industry. When these companies own thousands of fleet vehicles they have the luxury of buying various brands and comparing the overall cost of ownership over a 5-7 year term and the Ford F-150 has won that contest every time hands down.

That is just one of many reasons why the F-150 has been the best selling pickup truck for 35 consecutive years....

Go ahead and buy your Toyota, your GM, Dodge, or Nissan. This is a free country still and you can spend your hard earned money on whatever your heart desires.

I'll keep my Ford, thank you very much.

>>Case closed!!!
>>
>>http://social.ford.com/our-articles...eries-trucks-number-one-for-35-years-running/
>>
>>
>>Government doesn't fix anything and has
>>spent trillions proving it!!!
>>Let's face it...After Monday and Tuesday,
>>even the calender says WTF!
>>
>
>I always thought this was a
>comical statistic marketed by Ford.
>Ever notice that Chevrolet and
>GMC are not listed as
>the same truck when being
>considered as "sold". If you
>were to combine them as
>one truck which they actually
>are, I'd like to see
>how long of a streak
>Ford has then....
>Mntman
>
>"Hunting is where you prove yourself"
>
>
>
>Let me guess, you drive a
>1 ton with oak trees
>for smoke stacks, 12" lift
>kit and 40" tires to
>pull a single place lawn
>mower trailer?

Go ahead and order an aftermarkt front bumper for a 2012 GMC 2500 and try to install it on a 2012 Chevrolet.... It will not fit.

GMC & Chevrolet used to be the same basic truck with the GMC having more upgrades and costing more.

Times have changed.

Now back to your point of combining GMC & Chevrolet and wondering if Ford still wins with the most sales...

Look it up and let us know what you find.

I'll bet you lunch that the Ford F-150 still has more sales than the two GM 1/2 ton trucks combined.

Wanted to add one more thing....

If any of the current full size 1/2 ton trucks came with a solid front axle.... that would be the one I would buy & I wouldn't care if it was a Ford, GMC, Chevy, Dodge, or Toyota.

That would also solve the problem with running tire chains on these sissy trucks with IFS, other than the lowered stance to assist with fuel economy of the new trucks, but that's easy to fix with a leveling kit. :)

Yeah front chains are problmatic on most half ton trucks now. I have a 99 and an 09 F-150. The 99 takes front chains no problem. The 09 will take them once I put bigger tires on it but if I slip a chain I am going to take out a brake line and maybe my suspenison.

BTW, my 99 has 173,000 miles on it.

I have worked in the mining industry for almost 20 years. Every mine I have worked at, several different companies, have run Fords. Over and over again companies find Fords will hold up the longest to the pounding our trucks take. Almost all are either 3/4 or 1 tons. The abuse our trucks take is very different from what most personal trucks would take. We are good if we get 120K miles on truck before it is worthless. Lots of mud, rough roads, idling. Just this year we decided to buy a couple of F150's with the ecoboost. I am currently driving one, a crew cab. I only have 3,000 miles on it and I get 18 mph. A combination of highway and mine driving. So far I am very pleased. The engine sounds like crap but has a bunch of power. The last mine I was at tried a tundra. It was nice but started to show problems with the transfer case after 20K. I am a GMC guy personally but will most likely go with either a Ecoboost or Tundra for my next personal vehicle.

woodruff must still be Lovin that New Ford!:D

dryflyelk, If they sell the most they must be the best!! The consumer creates the market. Not my personal favorite but sales don't lie? I personally love Toyota products I drove the Tundra before I bought my Ford In my opinion the Ford is far better for all kinds of driving and it's bigger inside. I also happen to think it's a lot better looking. Just my opinion.

I just got rid of my F250 diesel after spending $14000 in a little over a year. That 6.0 was a bad engine from the start. I looked at the ecoboost and ended up buying a 2011 used Tundra Rock Warrior with lift, Magnaflow and intake. Had 40k on it and a 60k warranty. Runs like a molested monkey and handles great. I am buying an extended warranty after the factory runs out. I love the truck and it has a ton of power. Gas mileage sucks at 13.5 but I drive it hard and fast. I paid $28000 for it. I am just too scared of any new engine design after the reaming I took. I know they are blowing up a few engines on the ecoboost already so we will see how durable it is.

LAST EDITED ON May-01-13 AT 08:10AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON May-01-13 AT 08:09?AM (MST)

I have a 2007 crewmax and run chains with no problems.My buddy is a chevy man, bought a 2012 4x4 chevy then found out he can not use chains......Jim

I've had 5 Ford Superduty trucks in the last 13 years. All diesel except one V10. Been great trucks, 150,000+ miles on each, with the exception of my last 2006 F250 with the 6.0. At 130,000 miles the crap hit the fan and in a 6 month period I had to put almost 12K into that truck. Ford knew they had problems with the 2005-2006 6.0 and did nothing to remedy the situation.

So I went looking for a new truck. Test drove the ecoboost and it was a really nice truck. But after my 6.0 experience I was really concerned about buying a new ford engine. Especially one with twin turbos on a 215 cubic inch V6. That's just too much pressure to put on such a small engine, something has got to give. So I'll wait for a few years to see how they hold up. In the mean while I bought a new Tundra and it has been great so far. Roomy, powerful and fun to drive.

>
>Go ahead and order an aftermarkt
>front bumper for a 2012
>GMC 2500 and try to
>install it on a 2012
>Chevrolet.... It will not fit.
>
>
>GMC & Chevrolet used to be
>the same basic truck with
>the GMC having more upgrades
>and costing more.
>
>Times have changed.
>
>Now back to your point of
>combining GMC & Chevrolet and
>wondering if Ford still wins
>with the most sales...
>
>Look it up and let us
>know what you find.
>
>I'll bet you lunch that the
>Ford F-150 still has more
>sales than the two GM
>1/2 ton trucks combined.

Yes sir, you got that bet! I will pm my address for you to send the gift certificate to.

Mntman

Ok you are all starting to worry me! The only guys that talk about there trucks like this are guy that are having smaller problems?

Don't drink and call your Girlfriend at night!!!!!!

Just what we wanted to See/Hear!

Another Ford/Dodge/Chevy Arguement with all the Internet Pro's!:D

Everybody knows a New Ford Diesel when Tuned Proper Will eat Chevy's & Spit Dodges!:D

Now if I had an Extra 65K layin around to get one!

Everybody should know by now the Big 3 have taken their turns at building Good Trucks and also Built some real Trash!

I only know one Guy that would Rather Walk than Drive/Ride in a Ford!:D:D:D

Ok the next person that replays is a homo truck driving girl with no panties!

I resemble that remark??? Thong not panties!!! Beotch....

>http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2012/02/2011-pickup-truck-sales-recap.html
>
>Here are the numbers and it
>was the first year I
>looked at, didn't even get
>to the other 35 years....
>
>Thanks, I would prefer it to
>texas roadhouse.
>
>
>Mntman
>

That data is way off for several reasons & even claims that it is...

The Chevy/GMC data includes the Avalanche & Escalade, but doesn't say how many of each.

Data only includes the US. We're talking about the total number of 1/2 ton pickups sold. Both companies sell to other countries so we need to see the global numbers excluding the Avalanche & Escalade.

No Soup fo you... :)

LAST EDITED ON May-02-13 AT 01:38PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON May-02-13 AT 01:31?PM (MST)

>The Chevy/GMC data includes the Avalanche
>& Escalade, but doesn't say
>how many of each.

It shows the 1/2 ton segment and avalanche/escalade are in their own fields... It labels them the avalanche and escalade section.

Quote- The half-ton winner was the Ford F-150 by just over 25,000 units. GM fans will note that if GMC and Chevy sales numbers were combined, the outcome would be considered quite a smack-down

>Data only includes the US. We're
>talking about the total number
>of 1/2 ton pickups sold.
>Both companies sell to other
>countries so we need to
>see the global numbers excluding
>the Avalanche & Escalade.
>
>No Soup fo you... :)

Typical of a guy who likes to make bets and then start adding rules once they realize they LOST the bet that THEY them selves requested.

Mntman

Look at the ecoboost forums or search ecoboost problems. Quite a few "fixes" already coming from Ford and a bunch of people that are ticked off about the engines stuttering and dying on on ramps etc. Sounds like another ready-fire-aim deal from Ford. I am glad I passed on this one.

>I think by the same logic
>the Ford Taurus was the
>best car for a lot
>of year too...

Exactly.

Ford has capitalized on loyalty and does an excellent job of selling their product every year.
Every year you hear the same thing, how they are best built blah blah blah. Personally, I hate getting lied to. I gave up on them about 20 years ago.

Nobody has really mentioned Chevy.

Ford or Tundra.. this is even a question??

TUNDRA all day, every day.

LAST EDITED ON May-03-13 AT 06:15PM (MST)[p]It's a sad day when a bunch of grown men can only talk about there trucks! Your all a bunch of homo's! I am going to get into my vw bug and drive back to the Cali and hang out! Flower power man!

LAST EDITED ON May-03-13 AT 07:10PM (MST)[p][Font][Font color = "red"]I HAVE NOT FORGOTTEN ABOUT PEARL HARBOR!!![font/]

"woodruff must still be Lovin that New Ford!"

Yeah, I like it. But, as you know, it's not the 150, it's. diesel.
I'm not interested in pulling my trailer with a half ton.

Not sure what half ton I'd choose! I do know one thing, they are all
too expensive!

>LAST EDITED ON May-03-13
>AT 07:10?PM (MST)

>
>[Font][Font color = "red"]I HAVE NOT
>FORGOTTEN ABOUT PEARL HARBOR!!![font/]
>
>
>
>
>
>The Dew I had for Breakfast
>wasn't Bad so I had
>one more for Dessert!:D

http://m.autos.aol.com/article/is-your-car-really-american/

Now what was that you said..?? try this article.. its an argument that can no longer be made. if we always got up in arms over who we bought what from because of who we are fighting with this week, nothing would be bought from any other country.

So?

You must be Proud of all the Foreign BS we have no choice as where and/or who to buy from in todays World?

Bunch of China Built Garbage for the most part!

Got a Question for you Boys?

How many Japanese people do you see driving Fords,Dodges or Chevy's?

Answer the GAWD-DAMNED Question!

I'm not saying Toyota's are not a Quality Built vehicle!

Just Sayin!

I ain't forgot that Day/Time!

And I never will!

Well--time to fess up. I bought another Toyota Tundra I rented a F150 for a week. There a lot of things I liked about the F150, especially the power and mileage of the Eco Boost. But, after analyzing it for several months, I still like the Toyota better and feel like I made the right choice for me.

Thanks for the input.

I love my Toyota Tacoma, and nearly bought a new Tundra a few years ago until I found out their chasis ride like a buckboard on cobblestone. Watch the youtube video below. The proof is in the pudding.
Everything else about the truck seems to be solid, however the Tundra was a little week in the options category when compared to Chevy & Fords.

I have heard a lot of good reviews on the NEW F150's and that pains me to say because I've had very few positive experiences with Fords.

Ego aside, you be hard pressed to beat the ride, reliability and fit and finish of a silverado or sierra 1500. I have owned several of them and each time I decide to try a different truck, I end up with a Chevy or GMC.

Ok so some won't buy a made in america toyota. Well you guys are double standard cause I bet the computer your using is made in china.

Buy what you want. My mom just got a 2013 toyota avalon and I'm impressed. The ford tarus and all other brand cars suck. No head room and lots of road noise.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom