? for you powerstroke owners

T264

I have a 2005 F-250 CC 4x4 powerstroke, with auto tranny. My question is the following: When pulling my tractor or boat the radiator fan or something will kick in to a really high rpm (very audible) and the temperature guage will shoot over to redline. If I let off of the gas pedal or turn the ac of it usually will go back to normal. Without a trailer in tow it will not make this noise or do the temp guage dance. Is it a bad thermostat or what? What say you diesel junkies?

T264

I'd say the noise is the fan, when your temp gauge goes up is it fast or takes a little while? if it shoots up fast as you make it sound it's an electrical problem, if it's slow it's a radiator or thermostat problem.

Getting a deisel real hot is bad bad news, get it figured out now even if you have to take it to a shop.

I had the same truck.The fan noise is normal.Ford had a recall on the temp gauges,they were showing hotter that what it really was so they had to replace the instrument cluster.

Get it checked out to be sure.

Yes it's the fan. I can hear it when I get on hills with a load on my truck as well. The problem is when you don't hear the fan. I had a buddy blow his up because the fan wasn't working. It's a distinct sound and can turn on and off depending on the temperature and the hill, etc. Nothing to worry about. The temp shooting through the roof should be a concern though.

Thanks for the replies and yes after it (the fan) kicks in a few times the temp will rise very quickly, but will also go back to normal quickly. It will almost rise proportionate to the amount of throttle you apply. 2 minutes later its fine and might not do it again for a couple of days.

T264

Not sure if this might help, but my father-inlaw has this same truck and has had to replace his tranny 2 times, and after sitting down and talking with the dealer ship come to find out this f-250 has a small tranny cooler, so he upgraded to the bigger one and this tranny run's great and never gets to hot...
Like I said I don't know if maybe your problem and his are related, just want to give you food for thought...

Cw

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom