For the tag cutters

hossblur

Long Time Member
"The most important factors that drive deer population numbers are the survival rates of doe deer (since bucks don’t have babies), fawn production and fawn survival after the winter. The way we hunt buck deer in Utah doesn’t drive deer populations, but what happens with deer populations drives how we hunt buck deer.”

Dax Magnus, DWR BIG GAME COORDINATOR

"The way we hunt buck deer in Utah doesn’t drive deer populations."
No, but buck deer numbers matter to hunters. Dax is basically saying we can offer whatever tag numbers we want because deer populations are dependent on does and fawns. Scouting all summer, you found one nice 4 point. When you head to your spot opening morning and 26 other outfits are already parked there, it's okay, you're not hunting fawns.

No, but buck deer numbers matter to hunters. Dax is basically saying we can offer whatever tag numbers we want because deer populations are dependent on does and fawns. Scouting all summer, you found one nice 4 point. When you head to your spot opening morning and 26 other outfits are already parked there, it's okay, you're not hunting fawns.
Actually that is exactly the point he is making, from a biological stand point that are a long ways from over hunting the bucks to in a way that is harmful.

If you watch the video where this is pulled from he goes on to address the point you are making about it mattering to hunters. It is a social issue, and the dwr manage for 4 separate buck to doe ratios, 2 separate general season, Limited Entry, and Premium Limited Entry. I guess if you only want a chance to hunt areas with lots of bucks and Limited hunters then only hunt the LE units. But your going to be waiting a long time between hunts.

I would love to hear the input and views of Dax's mentor before he had to feed his family with his management views.

I would love to hear the input and views of Dax's mentor before he had to feed his family with his management views.
I would too.
So what's the story? You seem to know the down low. Lets hear it.
I like to think I have an open mind when it comes to deer management and the DWR. What Dax and Covey have said in the past makes sense to me. It obviously doesn't make sense to you or others. So what is your fix?

I've missed your videos of you cutting up your tag. So I'll assume, you want those other 26 dudes to sit home, so you can hunt?

I suppose if your definition of nice 4 point is 180+ inches then I could see scouting a general unit all summer and only finding one or two. I find plenty of the 150-160 variety in general units and usually turn up Atleast one in the 170-190 variety every time I have a tag. Since when is it supposed to be easy to find a big buck and have the mountain reserved for only you?

I would too.
So what's the story? You seem to know the down low. Lets hear it.
I like to think I have an open mind when it comes to deer management and the DWR. What Dax and Covey have said in the past makes sense to me. It obviously doesn't make sense to you or others. So what is your fix?
Middle,
I'd let his mentor jump on and give that insight. I know that the biologists at USU don't teach the same management that is used by the DWR.

Middle,
I'd let his mentor jump on and give that insight. I know that the biologists at USU don't teach the same management that is used by the DWR.
I’ll bite, genuinely curious now - who exactly is his mentor? Anis? Jim Karpowitz? Justin Shannon? Covy Jones? Was it someone from USU? Is USU good and BYU bad on deer management or something? Lots of mysteries here…

I’ll bite, genuinely curious now - who exactly is his mentor? Anis? Jim Karpowitz? Justin Shannon? Covy Jones? Was it someone from USU? Is USU good and BYU bad on deer management or something? Lots of mysteries here…
Go take a read from some of Todd Black and Terry Messemer work at USU.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom