Food Storage!

mlycrzy

Very Active Member
My wife and I are really trying to get our food storage built up. As of now we could probably survive 5 or 6 weeks with the food and only a week or 2 with the water we currently have.

Anyone have a food storage, and how long would it last? Any tips on what types of food and storage ideas you may have? Im just curious as to what my fellow MM members would do in the case of a natural disaster or epedimic.

"You only live once,but if you work it right, once is enough" -Joe E. Lewis

F'IT!!!

FREEZER IS FULL & WHEN THATS GONE I GUESS I'M A GONNER!!!

HAS ANYBODY SAT DOWN & FIGURED HOW BIG A BUILDING YOU'D NEED TO STORE ENOUGH STUFF TO SURVIVE A YEAR???

WE ARE LIVIN FOR THE MINUTE!!!

NUFF SAID!!!

"I'M NOT COMPLAINING,I'M TELLING IT THE WAY IT IS,SOME OF YOU MAY NOT LIKE IT,THATS O.K.,SOMETIMES THE TRUTH HURTS & YOU HAVE TO ACCEPT IT,OR YOU FIND OUT WHAT THE FACTS ARE,STAND UP & VOICE YOUR OWN OPINION,THIS IS STILL AMERICA THE LAST TIME I CHECKED"!!!

493c3bb236d04499.jpg

REMEMBER!!!

THERE'S ONLY ONE bobcat!!!

I just plan on moving in with friends if it comes to that....ya'll stock up, i'm a growing boy!

48696fc97cd60c01.jpg

Mlycrzy,

Is there any particular reason you think
that you need to be hord'n food at this
time ??

O'bama's gonna provide all the food, shelter,
transportation, communications, health care,
sex, drugs, rock'and roll, and an end to ATM
fee's, for All of us Red-Blooded Americans.

Bar-None.

It's all good..

lrv

Ive2143, good call. I forgot about good ol' Obama. :)

"You only live once,but if you work it right, once is enough" -Joe E. Lewis

Store what you eat. MREs are good to keep you alive but if you store what you normally use and keep it roatated you'll enjoy it.

You can store staples like flour, sugar, rice, oats, etc. in #10 cans. Most of that stuff is relatively cheap and will keep for 30 years if you put in the O2 absorbing packets.

Just start buying one extra of some things when you are doing your regular grocery shopping. Then save some cash for the case lot sales. You'd be amazed what you can amass for 3-400 bucks.

A lot of people say to store wheat, but unless you know what to do with it I'd just stay with what you normally eat.

We have a couple of freezers full of meat, etc. But unless you have a generator and a lot of fuel, meat won't last long. I prefer to store meat on the hoof.

Some people will call you a nut for storing food but I think it's great insurance for not only a natural/political disaster but a personal disaster like getting layed off or injured and not being able to work. Just take it a little at a time and you'll have a well stocked bunker in no time.

Oh, one more thing. I'd stear clear of the places that offer to provide you with a year's supply of food. You'll spend a ton of money and not have food that you want to eat. If you have a pile of money and just want a pile of food in case of a disaster, that might work. But for a real life rotating stock, just plan a little and do it yourself.

Good luck....and don't forget the ammo....

HAZMAT

www.muddyroad.net

Mlycrzy,

Pinto beans and other dry beans are one of the best foods you can store for armegedon.

Dry beans will keep and remain edible when stored at room temperature for years, up to 30 years in fact. Insects don't commonly affect dry beans in storage like other grain products.

Support your local bean producer,

BeanMan

We have been trying to do the same thing. Wheat, rice, pinto beans, flour and sugar mostly. Don't forget the potatoe pearls! ;-) Then we have a freezer full of deer still. We have also been buying extra canned goods and such to stock up the pantry. The kids probably wont like it but I am sure we could survive for at least a few weeks.

I have been looking into getting a nice filter for water. Not sure which one to get yet. 15,000 gallons of pool water should get us by for a little while at least!

I like overtons plan, :) +1

LOL, beans, i'm trying another pot, got them soaking as i type this.

2 lbs of Navy beans soaking, then tomorrow i'll add 5 big ham hocks, pork sausage, burger, bacon, celery, and onion.

Last time i did them, couple months ago, i has gas so bad... }> it was terrible, but i do love a meaty pot of beans! :)

Joey

Always have a 50# sack of Rice at home and 8 cases of COSTCO drinking water.
Then I will go steal nuts and fruit from Ransom yard and come home.
Guess I should stock up on TP too.
Brian

Don't forget energy foods & snacks (fruit leathers, jerky, nuts, granola bars, candy, and other "treat" foods). They can even help give an emotional boost if you are really in an emergency situation and using food storage, or sharing with the neighbors.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-22-09 AT 11:14PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Feb-22-09 AT 11:04?PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Feb-22-09 AT 10:53?PM (MST)

You forgot one thing about the Prez's promises!I saw a "Wizard of Id" cartoon where he was promising jobs- the masses replied something to the effect "Jobs? Who Needs Jobs?"

In addition to rice, wheat, flour, sugar, salt and numerous canned goods that we can rotate through we also have bulk beef and chicken boulion (sp)cubes, chili powder, taco seasoning, lemon pepper, and various other seasonings and spices.

I have a few dozen special brownies stored for when the schit hits the fan.......

Hopefully there's a few of you real food storing folks nearby when the brownies are gone....

It may be a good idea for y'all to have some junk food like funions and pizza and chips in case this ever happens...Oh and lots of water...

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Hopefully, on the up wind side?

Tom
A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking.

Sage,

Soaking beans? That's only for people who don't have fresh beans. A world of difference.

Beansnob

Rice and beans stored in sealed barrels,Water in Barrels changed every few months, flour,baking soda,sugar in sealed bags,Horse and mules and chickens in the pen, alot of ammo for getting more food.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Currently we have a base that we started with. We do have some regular canned items that we rotate out and use. These are every day items that we normally eat. We also have 6 of the 3 month supply of freeze dried meals that are in big buckets from Costco. While the food in these isn't going to be considered 1st class it is still food and nutrion that is needed.

We also have 72 hour kits. These to me are more important then a years storage. If there is a disaster you will want that 3 day supply. Look at Katrina alot of people were traped for 2-3 days and did not have that supply.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom