Flyfishing Website

Zim

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Aug-29-11 AT 07:03PM (MST)[p]Bout done packin for my NM backpack elk hunt. Decided to pack a flyrod and try to catch some trout while there. I have extremely little knowledge of flyfishing. Anyone know the best website with state/regional forums to get advice on what flies are best for high elevation lakes there? Did a search but found nothing with any busy traffic. Thanks.

You can never go wrong stripping willy buggers. Also red midge larvae and #18-20 red and green copper johns. Beetles and chernoybl ants on the surface.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-29-11 AT 09:16PM (MST)[p]Thanks I wrote these down and will look for them at the Cabela's by me. There's a Bass Pro too. They should have a good inventory.

Is there any difference based on the elevation 11,000'? Or what you'd use in a small lake as opposed to a stream up there?

Ant patterns work well in the high lakes. The thermal winds come up the mountain and blow ants and other terrestrials out onto the lake mid morning and throughout the day. These bugs will blow across the lake and accumulate on the lee side. Fish will cruies through and pick them up. The "ant hatch" can be lights out dry fly fishing.

"When there's lead in the air, there's hope."

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom