FLORIDA MOUNTAINS IBEX HUNT (VIDEO)

A

ADDICT

Screen_Shot_2013-10-24_at_9_28_05_AM.png

PART 2 VIDEO LINK:

https://vimeo.com/77583139

"You skin grizz?"

Awesome footage! That type of hunting looks to be exhausting and excruciating but extremely rewarding. Good luck drawing another tag and thanks for taking us along with you.

Hawkeye

Browning A-Bolt 300 Win Mag
Bowtech Destroyer
Winchester Apex .50 Cal

One of my dreams, too. But I doubt I am man enough to hunt like you do. Great job. Looks like a helluva time.

Grizzly

Easily the best Bez footage ever. Great video and the music to go along with it was excellent. I'd rather go home empty handed with an unfilled bow tag but fully fulfilled with tons of memories then to have easily slam dunked one with a rifle. This is why we bow hunt. I've been fortunate to go there a handful of times and the place truly is magical. Your videos bring back great memories, thanks. You'll get em next time.

Wow! Awesome videos. I enjoyed your hunt last spring and you didn't disappoint this fall.

I have some questions that you or maybe someone else can answer.

It looks like a lot of ibex. What is the population estimate in that range? Anyone know?

They appear to be a hellishly prolific animal. Do they have more than one kid (?) at a time? Do they rut once a year or is it spread out over the entire year?

My casual observation, and it may be that since you were chasing billies you filmed a lot of billies, but it seems like the male/female ratio is very high. Lots of billies per nanny. Anyone know the billy/nanny/kid ratio in there?

How old are those big billies you were after? How long does it take to grow a set of horns like that? I'm most familiar with sheep so I just have no idea.

You are a stud in my book. Thank you for taking the time and effort to make that video and especially for sharing it here.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words! I put everything I had into that film--glad you enjoyed it.

NVBighorn--

1. Pop is around 6-800

2. One rut, one-two kids per

3. 50/50 easily. I don't film nannies because no one cares about them! Theyre not cool like the billies!.. Last Mar NMGFD literally sh*t on the range and massacred 300+ nannies, and immature billies to OTC rifle hunters in a two day slaughter fest. TONS of ibex were not counted because the were not recovered but still mortally wounded. I found 6 ibex skeletons hunting. 4 billies and 2 nannies.

4. Like a sheep youre looking for a 9+ year old billy. The wide old wise one we call Houdini is at least 12. Broomed off and 20% heavier than any billy Ive seen

This is the second chance Ive had at the Floridas. Ive learned enough about them to write a book. Ive killed plenty of high country mule deer and these critters are hands down more difficult in many ways.

"You skin grizz?"

I always enjoy your videos Zack! I have been unsuccessful in my applications the last 2 years, but hope to hunt Ibex soon. The footage of that country makes me second guess why I would subject myself to that kind of physical torture! Lol. I was in a different part of 15 this year hunting elk while u were there, but never had a shot on one of the big boys I was hunting. Congrats on your elk, and I look forward to seeing more footage from your future hunts!

Preston
G3 Outfitters

WOW!

That is awesome!

I've been there and took a nice billy, I can really appreciate what that experience is. You cannot describe what that hunt, or mountain or the animals are like unless you see it for yourself.

I wrote up a story that is in the latest issue of Trophy Hunter. There's a link to my good friends website at the end of the story where you can watch my hunt. I'm ashamed to say that our footage pales in comparison to this. But it does give you more to watch.

Congrats on the hunt. I'm sure you'll draw again. We had a guy with us from Albuquerque that had bowhunted them 5 different times and had spent 50-60 days on the mountain. He's addicted too.

Good luck in the future. Please post your video when you do go again.

Congrats Smitty! They are in the blood for life now! I post videos of every hunt so I don't think you'll need to worry about me posting when I return!

"You skin grizz?"

Too bad we missed each other Preston. The Gila was nuts this year!

Jay had a client camped right by me that killed a giant. I didnt even know he was in there!

"You skin grizz?"

OK...! Hands down, the best Ibex footage ever!

I have been on 3 Ibex hunts in Az and NM and, in my opinion, there is no beast on this continent, native or not, more difficult to approach. They have incredible eyesight and survival instinct.

I have no doubt that you will eventually get the one you want, but this footage is a "world class trophy" in itself!

How you managed some of this footage is mind blowing and I am impressed!

"If you get upset or offended by ANY website forum
post.....especially mine, you need serious
intervention!"

Thanks Nickman. I appreciate the feedback--I think the video is awesome but its good to hear it from others.

"You skin grizz?"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom