Flash vs. IR

bragabit

For those of you who have and use both type of game cameras which one do you like the best? I understand most new ones are IR and the battery life has to be better. It seems that flash cameras take better night pictures and they are in color. I have not used IR only flash so your opinions with experience will be appreciated. I am looking at the Moultrie D55 which offers flash for $10 cheaper than IR. Any better options in the $100 range? Thanks

I only have the IR (Moultrie I-65), but it is my understanding that the Main Point of using the IR vs the Flash; is not to spook game or alert anything else (possibly the 2 legged animals) of the cameras whereabouts when a bright flash goes off.

Can anyone verify that this really does make that much of a difference or is it just preference??

?-ERock-> ?

I have two Cuddeback IRs and one Moultrie D55 with the flash. The Cuddeback takes great pictures in the daytime and the IR photos are OK. I am not too concerned about photo quality, I just want to know what is running around the land I am hunting. The battery life on the CB IR is about 1/3 of the battery life on the Moultrie D55 with the flash. Batteries get expensive too. It seems to me the IR takes mroe battery life - maybe it is just mine.

I have watched my cameras take pictures of deer before and I have seen them react very differently. I saw yearling about jump out of its skin on night and I seen other deerget blinded every minute without reaction?

If I were buying another today, I would get another D55 for the price.

For me the trail cams are just a fun diversion during the non hunting season, I just like to look at the photos. Knowing those big bucks are out there helps keep me on stand a little longer each day.

I can see that there would be a benefit using the IR as to not be detected as easy by thieves. But if that is the only benefit, considering they are more expensive and if they really do use more batteries maybe I will just stick flash.
Thanks

The blacktails around my property get flashed once and I won't see them on that path for awhile. I'll pick them up on a differnt one. I've heard both sides, like was said above. I'm going to get IR's from now on, just in the chance it does spook one critter. My .02 good luck

HK

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom