Flaming Gorge????

one_dryboot

Long Time Member
Hey guys, I am going on a trip to the gorge next week. im sure we'll spend a good amount of time fishing. i havent been up there for over 10 years. Im not looking for anyones Honey Hole. just some good starting points on what to use. i dont care what kind of fish i catch. just want to have fun and enjoy a week off!! Thanks in Advance!!!!

HEY dryboot???

YOU GOT A BOAT???

LET THESE PRO'S KNOW!!!

OR ARE YOU FISHING OFF THE BANK???

THERES A VARIETY OF FISH!!!

SMALLMOUTH!!!

LAKE TROUT!!!

BROWNS!!!

RAINBOWS!!!

KOKANEE!!!

BURBOT!!!

CARP!!!

THIS IS MY NEW GUN,YOU MAY NOT LIKE IT,YOU'LL LIKE IT A HELL OF A LOT LESS WHEN IT HITS ITS DESTINATION!!!
47654abd5a8fd79a.jpg

469ff2b8110d7f4e.jpg

THE ONLY bobcat THAT KNOWS ALOT OF YOU HAVE HAD THIS IMAGE IN YOUR PEA BRAIN BUT DUE TO POOR SHOOTING TACTICS I'M STILL KICKIN!!!

Cast ANYTHING against ANY rocky shore and you'll catch small mouth.

Troll popgear and crawlers ANYWHERE in 30-40ft and you'll catch rainbows.

Troll EARLY w/ downriggers or enough weight to get down to 60ft, dodgers/popgear and falshy lures around red cliffs, you'll catch a few kokanee.

Troll deep or jig deep, right on the bottom, you MIGHT catch one of the big'uns.

down there last week and did good on a worm and marshmallow catching rainbows in 35 to 45ft of water and we caught a couple lake trout 80 to 105 ft. we stayed near dutch john launched our boat headed east and the first cove you see to your south is where we fished and didnt move because it was that good. also good wakeboarding right next to the damn and a peacful river rafting trip if you get time they stocked that with fish last week and we did ok on the river

"Go to Little Hole and fish the River." And catch bait fish!!!
Just kidding we have more fun on the lake

Here is our 2 day fishing trip from 2 weeks ago. It was pretty good we caught 8 rainbows, 6 kokane, one bass and a mixed bag of lake trout. We mostly fished for lake trout. We caught 12 lake trout over 12 lbs and one up to around 25 lbs. Here are a few pictures

My daughter?s first lake trout
P1000771.jpg

My wife?s aunts first day fishing for lake trout
P1000778.jpg

P1000787.jpg

P1000790.jpg

P1000793.jpg

My wife?s sister?s fish! Hey she's no rookie to big fish
P1000796.jpg

P1000800.jpg

My wife and my two daughters
P1000781.jpg

What we used for bait
P1000780.jpg

I think I spent the whole time making sure everyone else caught fish. Maybe next time Ill catch my elusive fish over 30lbs. I am probably the only non rookie in the boat that hasn't done it yet.

Archery is a year round commitment!!

I just sent a friend, who like me collects old fishing lures, my copy of Ray Johnson's shitty but well pictured book. Back in the 70's and early 80's, Ray was kinda like the Kirk Darner of the Flaming Gorge Trophy Trout. The guy was nuts about catching Very Big Brown trout, like 25-30 pounders, mostly during the winter, through all kinds of hardships.

My friend has a collection of hard rubber fish looking lures that aparently, Ray designed and had manufactured, sold them at sportsman shows for sure, who know where else. I met him, bought his book and a couple of the lures at the Cow Palace Sport and boat show, in SF back in the early 80's. My bud has a collection of lures by Ray Johnson and is looking to buy more. If interested, pm me, i can put you in touch with him.

Joey

Those are some nice fish! Looks like a good day on the lake. The River is a great option if you are a poor boy from Vernal who has no boat!

Hey Sage - is Ray the same guy that used to fish in a float tube up there in the winter? I heard a story once about him where he was pulled clear across the Gorge by "something big" on his tube and had to survive the night in a cave or something? Is that the same guy?

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

I think Ray Johnson is the guy that has the state record catch and release trouser trout.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-12-08 AT 00:12AM (MST)[p]Thanks guys for all the Info. im getting excited for the trip. ive been working 15-18 hour days just so i can get all my crap done so i can go. im about ready to go nutz

Bess, Yes we will have a boat up there. so i think that will help a bit.

Has anyone ever tried the Banjo Minnow??? i used it a number of years ago and killed the bass and crappie and caught a few good trout with them. but that wasnt at the gorge.

SW, man if i catch 1/12 the fish you guys and gals caught ill be happy. great pics!

And lets see a picture of the state record Trouser Trout!

Roy said;
"Hey Sage - is Ray the same guy that used to fish in a float tube up there in the winter? I heard a story once about him where he was pulled clear across the Gorge by "something big" on his tube and had to survive the night in a cave or something? Is that the same guy?"

Roy, Very well could be. I never read the part about being towed across the lake by a big trout but he sure enough used to beach his boat near some caves that he camped out in. The guy was famous for awhile there, he had no quit in him. He would fish the lake until it completely froze solid, breaking ice with the front of his boat so he could troll in the path of water behind, fished at night in the bitter cold, wouldn't wear gloves in fear on not feeling the strike. He'd also, from what i read in his book, always hold his rod, never set it down, would burn anybody elses line with a cigerette if they set their own rod down. the guy was hard core.

His book was one of the worst written examples of writing that this semi-uneducated but fairly well read country boy has put his mind to. The guy did regularly catch monster Brown trout though, did have the lake record German Brown, maybe others as well. Lots of pictures with him and huge browns similat to those lakers in the above post. Claimed that he liked to fish after dark or before daylight, only trolled, and that he only did that in certain places very close to the bank where the water had boulders and dropped off very sharply near the shore. He tooted his own horn over and over at just how tough and great a fisherman he was. Just about everything he had to say coulda been said in a couple chapters but he just repeated his mantra enough times,, building himself up, to make it thick enough to call it a book. I believe he was a fireman and also that his brother fished with him sometimes.

When my Bud posted a want of Johnsons stuff, kinda took me by surprise really. It does makes sence though, obscure local lure maker, mighta only made those lures for a few years. $$ collectable. I was happy to donate my bud my copy of Ray's book, kinda hard to come across i think but whatthehey. My bud is paying about $15-20 per lure if you got any, maybe more if he don't have that size or finish.

There you go, At's about all i know.

Joey

I heard Ray's wife was on deaths door and somebody came to get him to say his last goodbyes but he wouldn't go because the fishing was too good. Hardcore moron.

WELL Hazmat???

WAS HE SINGING THAT "WELL I'M GONNA MISS HER" SONG BY BRAD PAISLEY???

THIS IS MY NEW GUN,YOU MAY NOT LIKE IT,YOU'LL LIKE IT A HELL OF A LOT LESS WHEN IT HITS ITS DESTINATION!!!
47654abd5a8fd79a.jpg

469ff2b8110d7f4e.jpg

THE ONLY bobcat THAT KNOWS ALOT OF YOU HAVE HAD THIS IMAGE IN YOUR PEA BRAIN BUT DUE TO POOR SHOOTING TACTICS I'M STILL KICKIN!!!

Now that you mention his wife, i remember a couple other things from his book. He bragged several times what a wonderful wife he had. That she was a fine cook...cooked stuff he liked and just the way he liked it. Also, he claimed how good she was at other things, amoung them, just how good she was at pleasuring him, and of corse him her. I got the idea that he was trying to make himself seem like some stud and a desirable man of good taste in women so the reader would think even better of him.

Yes, a total friggen Jerk. Kinda interesting Jerk, but still a...

Joey

sageadvice
I cant believe anyone would want to buy one of those crappy untunable lures.

Ray is the king of catch and release trouser trouts

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom