Flaming Gorge Bighorns

J

jaeger

Doing some foot work for an older friend who pulled the November Rocky tag off the Gorge. I believe it's the first hunt of its kind with dates like these so it sounds like if we find the ewes we'll find the rams. Wondered if anyone out there had any experience seeing sheep while either fishing or deer or elk hunting during that time of year?

Jaeger, if you are talking Sheep Creek OR ANY OTHER TAG around da Gorge, PleaseDear is your man.

He's nuts enough to like to watch them baa-baas all year 'round.

I took a ram off Bare Top in that unit in 99. I would be more than happy to share what I know. email me @ [email protected]

Lisa is correct.......... PleaseDear knows more than anyone about that unit. He's always willing to help out too.

Your talking the Sheep Creek unit hunt Nov. 1 thru Nov. 30th correct?

Opening week you will have the mzzldr elk hunters in there which may or may not be helpfull for info on sightings of Rams.
Good news is there is NO cow elk tags in the Daggett this year.

Campgounds out of Manila to the boat launch at Sheep Creek Bay will be closed (Willows and Manns) but that corridor along there holds some nice Rams and the ewes should be getting estrous during that month.

Another place for sure is the two-track rd. just southeast of the Rifle range and dump road off of rd. 44. This area is the backside of Sheep Creek Bay, the cliffs side fo the bay. I doubt if ya could drive it but might be able to ATV or snowmobile it for a ways. There will be Rams up on the terrace overlooking Sheep Creek bay.

Another would be up the Geological Loop rd. past the Bennett /Sheep Creek Ranch. I put those signs up for No Shooting/red-white, back in the day when I lived there.

Dowd mountain rd. may be open for truck traffic and holds some Rams.

Red Canyon Lodge road that goes down to the Red Canyon Visitors Center at the end of the road, most years has a few ewes and Rams hsnging in that area.

Touch base with Boyd Palison out of Manila, yeh he is an outfitter but always is willing to give out some hunting info. Tell him Robb the guy with the llamas sent ya to him. He will most probably be gearing up for the Lion hunts and will have a feel for where he has seen Rams hanging out.

A realistic Ram is 170.

Feel free to touchbase with me. We can go over some maps and give you guys a better feel for these areas.

[email protected]

Robb

I saw a few ewe's on Baretop this weekend and 2 half curls while scouting, but I only got in about 2 or 3 miles out of Antelope Flat camp ground. I saw the big boys Northeast of the rifle range. I have no idea how big they were, but were at least 3/4 curl. I was looking for antelope so I looked low instead of up. I'm not much help but somthing...

Will be going back out there after I help out with the search for that boy in the uinta's first week of August. Maybe we can meet up and scout it out?

Nate

You've all been real helpful. I've forwarded this thread to my friend and he is going to be in touch with some of you. Thanks again, Jaeger

Justin is it the tag holder from Vernal or the one from Park City??

Nate is that speed goat tag good on both sides of the Gorge or just the 3-corners side of the Gorge?

I'm jealous, I'd love to hunt that area. A quick shout out to PleaseDear, It's nice to see someone as generous as you helping other hunters on this site. Good luck Jaeger-meister!!

Longrifle

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom