Fixed Pin vs Slider?

Joe2Kool

Very Active Member
Upgrading from my 20+ year old Champion bow and have come to the sight decision. I like the 3 or 4 pin slider type, but also considering a 7 pin fixed. I'm leaning this way because of the flexibility to reset the pins for a 50 yard shot, but also the lack of clutter for shots under 40. I've ruled out a single pin as that seems to be too much fiddling with the sight before every shot. Thoughts or opinions? (Oh no, asking MM'ers for an opinion? :D )

I mainly use my bow for whitetail hunting (Iowa, Kansas, not so much in my home state of TN since crossbows became legal.) But am hoping to draw an AZ elk tag in the next couple of years. I might step into muley archery, but no specific plans yet.

My current sights are set at 20, 30, 40 yards. I added an extra pin a few years ago so I could practice at 50. I currently limit my shots to 30 yards, but I have to say most of my shots are less than 20.

I use a 3 pin slider set at 20, 30, 40. If something was within 50 I’d just eyeball it with my 40 pin. Beyond 50 I have to adjust.
When the game is moving, it’s a bit of a pain to range, then keep an eye on game while adjusting slider. An extra pin would be nice.

2 pin slider for me. 30-40, top of bubble is 50. Use a .10 pin spott Hogg, big fan. But this is for mostly elk hunting dark timber

I ran a black gold 7 pin slider for a while.
Run a 5 pin axcel slider now. Don’t see why you wouldn’t run a slider if you’re already going to be ok with a 5-7 pin fixed. If money isn’t that big of a deal adding the sliding option gets you the extra range if ever needed.

Switched to a single pin slider 6-7 years ago from 3 pin. Love the vertical pin, can see much better than horizontal pins. I set it at 45 yards and can aim center mass + or - a few inches 0-55 yards and still be in the kill zone. If it’s a hurried shot. If I have time to dial I do.

I run fixed 5s. I can shoot about a 5ish in group at 60 yards pretty easily. And idk anywhere that I'd need to shoot past that tbh. All of my shots have been within 30 actually.

I run a 3 pin black gold slider. 30, 40 and 50. My Hoyt shoots fast enough with a hunting arrow that there wasn’t much of a difference between my 20 and 30 yard pin. Most of my shots have been under 50 but over 30 so that’s why I went with those pins. I don’t take rushed shots so everything gets an accurate range and then over 50 gets a precise adjustment and all the guess work of gapping pins is gone.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom