Fishlakeelkhunter goes duck hunting...

CAelknuts

LAST EDITED ON Dec-08-11 AT 08:40PM (MST)[p]Just finished up my annual duck hunt with FLEH, aka Jason, and his/our buddy Toby. The duck hunting was only so-so, but we had a very good time. What was originally a one time thing with FLEH has turned into an annual affair that we all look forward to, and it's not just about shooting ducks.

9723jason_and_toby_dinner.jpg

We ate really well every night, and morning too!

1528campfire.jpg

Nice time around the campfire.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-08-11 AT 08:50PM (MST)[p]http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos/1387blind_8.jpg

We hunted out in the tules, and also down in the trees, as FLEH really wanted a wood duck drake to have mounted.

9223jason_and_wood_duck.jpg

And he got a nice one!

http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos/6369jason_picks_ducks!.jpg

I even got him to help pick the ducks!

4100jasn_and_catfish.jpg

But I let him reel in the catfish. (Don't let him know I told you guys, but I had to bait his hook for him!)

3360jason_and_toby_at_dinner.jpg

We did eat good! Old Bay Prawns, Ribeye steaks, BBQ'ed sockeye salmon, all the sides... life was good!

Toby and Jason are great guys and we always have fun when they come out. The hunting wasn't as good as I hoped for, but with a nearly full moon, no weather and us being right after 5 straight days of north wind, I was happy that they were able to take some ducks home.

Some of the wildest stories ever told have come out of duck camps. No wonder. Then CA says, "we always have fun when they come" he must mean "they all made bail without their wives gett'en involved."

There nothing funn'er than shoot'en a case a bullets for a few qu'wackers.

CA's claiming the ducks weren't flying like they can but I know one of those gunners and I'm bett'en there was plenty of ducks. CA must be somewhat of a gentlemen to let you off so gently FishLake. ;-) If you know what I mean.

Your wife know you eat that well when you're away from the house?

Can't wait to give it a go CA. Hope that 7mm,08 shoots plum-center for you.

DC

I was afraid that with all the picture taking you was doing that there was going to be a post here. It always makes me nervous and I am glad you did not post "ALL" of the pictures! hahaha

Dan is a great person and one of the nicest guys you will ever meet. Who would have thought that a trip 5 years ago would turn into such a good friendship and many trips to the duck club. I look forward to it EVERY YEAR!!!

Lumpy....you are right..we did not even have to call this wives..so it worked out. And yes, some pretty WILD stories were told..maybe even a truthful one or two. Dan asked about you while in the blind and I told him to get you out there! You will have the TIME OF YOUR LIFE! It is a special place!!! And also...no..I dont tell my wife we eat that good out there. She thinks I am roughing it!

Now...Dan says the ducks were not flying..and it probably was the slowest as far as number of ducks, but we still shot PLENTY!!!The cool thing is the VARIETY of things that you shoot. I did shoot my Woody to get mounted..also shot a Hooded Merganser that I am gonna mount.
IMAG0034.jpg

We shot 6 or 7 different species of ducks...tried to shoot some pheasants, Caught Catfish with the Duck liver while cleaning. And Dan even shot this....
IMAG0038.jpg

It was a GREAT time with GREAT friends. THANKS DAN!!!!!!

Now make sure not to tell Lumpy ALL our secrets when he comes out...HAHA

Well that's not bad FLEH!

But you ought to see what I'm eatin!:D

RAZZIN Ya Buddy!:D

Hot Dog,Hot Damn,I love this Ameri-can

Sounds like a realy nice bromance,what part of the valley are you guys hunting?

Thanks. . .

Never a boring moment in the duck blind.

I don't think there is any other quality so essential to success of any kind as the quality of perseverance. It overcomes
almost everything, even nature.
-John D. Rockefeller

Jason and Toby gave me a real load of grief about overcooking the steaks last time, so this year I went on strike and made them cook those ribeyes. After they left, I had some other guests who bought a hunt I donated to UC Davis Baseball, and here are the little steaks I bought for dinner, 1 1/2" thick New Yorks.

8538big_new_yorks.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Dec-10-11 AT 04:10PM (MST)[p]And then I cooked them PERFECTLY!

9440perfect_steak.jpg

Jason, THIS is what a steak is supposed to look like when done.

6x7, you asked where we're hunting. We're in the Butte Sink.

Fish lake.... conrats on the Woody(the duck), but even better was the Hooded(the duck) those are really rare in the Sink.

For the others....., the Butte Sink is one of the most important waterfowl wintering areas in North America and a duck hunting mecca. Dan has a choice spot.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

Kilbuc/Dan, your comment about Hooded Mergansers being rare in the Butte Sink is interesting, and I thought I'd expand on it a bit. I've been hunting that same club for the last 35 years, and have seen a lot of changes in the sink. We used to see, literally, tens of thousands of blackbirds in a single morning. Now, we go many days without seeing any. We also used to have more largemouth bass, bullfrogs and crawdads than we seem to these days, so the ecology of the region is changing, and not all for the better. On the other hand, we never used to see Ibis, and they are now very common. We also never used to see Hooded Mergansers, and while they are not common these days, for the last 5 or 6 years, we do see them somewhat regularly in small numbers. We also see a lot more gadwall, ring necked ducks and other divers than we ever used to. We still do not see canvasbacks, and I've only taken 4 of them over all the years I've hunted the sink.

Just thought I'd add a few comments about the changing ecology of the area. The Butte Sink IS a treasure that few people know much about, outside those who hunt there and wildlife professionals such as yourself.

Sink ? What area are you guys hunting ? I am guessing northern cal somewhere ? Those are a couple of nice looking birds Jason ! Should go well in your trophy room .

Last year they were eating them Ducks Raw!

Maybe that's why I've never liked Quackers,I cooked them!:D

Hot Dog,Hot Damn,I love this Ameri-can

You guys are killing me! Work, work, work. It seems that's all I do sometimes.

Having hunted with Dan on his place I can say that his place is amazing. For a duck hunter, it is as close to heaven as you can get and still be alive. It has eveything, and I mean everything.

Good deal on the Hoodie FLEH. That is one of the few North American ducks I haven't taken.

Eel

Dan...OK..you can cook again next year!

John..yep..In Northern CA. North of Sacramento.

Eel...Dan told me that you were working on a trip down and would maybe have been the same time that I was there! Too bad, I would love to have met the famous Turtle hunter of MM! :)

Bessy...you big WIMP!!! Come on down and I will cook you some ducks that you will think are as good as a pheasant!!! CHICKEN!

Bigjohnt, the Butte Sink is an area of natural riparian marsh habitat that encompasses over 12,000 contiguous acres. It is in northern California, between the towns of Colusa on the west and from Yuba City to Gridley on the east. It's about 40 miles north of Sacramento, as the duck flies. It is almost entirely private duck clubs, other than the Butte Sink National Wildlife Refuge, which is only 400 acres. Once, the area was surrounded on all sides by rice fields, but over the last 25 years or so, some of those fields have been converted back to natural habitat and put into conservation easements with USFWS, so the natural habitat area is expanding, mostly to the north. Some of those areas that have been converted back are many hundreds of acres, owned by only one or two individuals and they function as sanctuary land, as much as duck clubs. The Butte Sink will always be natural, as the clubs within the sink proper have all committed to the long term preservation of the area.

The Butte Sink NWR was originally a farmed bean field and when the owner died, he left it to the US Fish and Wildlife Service, with the caveat that it had to be maintained as a natural habitat for the protection and propagation of waterfowl. The area doesn't hold anywhere near the number of ducks that it used to, but I can remember back in the late 1970s when official counts had over 1,000,000 ducks and geese packed onto just that 400 acres. It was sometimes wall to wall waterfowl covering 400 acres!

The Butte Sink is tule marsh, with lots of live oaks, willows, cottonwoods and other deciduous tress and brush. The wildlife includes not only ducks and geese, but also blacktail deer, pheasants, wild turkeys, otters, beaver, and way too many predators - mainly racoons, but also growing numbers of coyotes. In the winter when the ducks migrate in, the raptor population soars, with many redtail hawks, coopers hawks, red shouldered hawks, and occasional bald eagle or osprey, and a lot of owls. We have a few Great Horned Owls that roost in the exact same trees each winter, and they always seem to arrive within a few calendar days each year. When you think about it, that's kinda cool that they use the very same trees year after year, it gives a pretty good indication that they're likely the same bird each winter. We also have good fish populations, mostly channel cats and largemouth bass, but also a lot of chinook salmon and some steelhead that migrate through the sink to spawn in the upper reaches of Butte Creek. It is one of the most productive pieces of inland king salmon spawning habitat in California, but very few people realize it.

In a big valley that has converted to cities and agriculture and lost about 95% of it's natural habitat, the Butte Sink is a treasure that more and more people are slowly learning about.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom