Fishing video

This is the most honest fishing video I've ever seen. I've been there 100 times, at least. Viewer discretion advised. 20 minute video, so Homer will never see it....lol

I got sick just watching that. :ROFLMAO:

That said, I can relate to the fire drill. I had to do much the same thing when I fished a couple times by myself for salmon at Rivers Inlet, BC.

Caught this little guy on my bass rig with 17-lb. line. It was 62 lbs.

mesalmon.jpg

That said, I can relate to the fire drill. I had to do much the same thing when I fished a couple times by myself for salmon at Rivers Inlet, BC.

View attachment 38717
Awesome fish Tony! I've watched a few guys catch big salmon like that on the Kenai but my biggest was 42 lbs. on Mad River here in CA.

I can't tell you how many times I've puked while reeling in a fish on the ocean. 40 years worth, at least.

Awesome fish Tony! I've watched a few guys catch big salmon like that on the Kenai but my biggest was 42 lbs. on Mad River here in CA.

Hey, nuthin' wrong with 42 in CA!

I made three trips to Buck's Camp at Rivers Inlet. I brought my wife on one of them, which made it a bit easier to battle & land one the big kings. Between us over all my trips, we caught 10-11 kings, with the smallest just over 50 lbs. I think my biggest was about 69 lbs. We also hooked other salmon & fish species.

It was a real sight when I was alone. The 14' boats had 9 hp motors. When I hooked a fish I would set it real slow speed, then stand on the rear seat and steer the boat with my foot to follow the fish. If I didn't do that, my reel would get stripped in no time because I couln't set the drag too tight with the light line. So it took me quite a while to subdue each one I hooked.

And then the fun really started as I got the thing to the boat and tried to net it. It was about like the guy in your video. It wasn't over once it was in the net either. I'm not a big guy, so hoisting a 60+ lb. fish over the gunnel was a chore in itself for me. Amazingly, I never lost one fish once I hooked it.

I fished the Kenai once for a few hours but not when the kings were running. We caught a few trout and smaller salmon.

Last edited:
I can't tell you how many times I've puked while reeling in a fish on the ocean. 40 years worth, at least.
You and me both! I never get sick on a lake no matter how rough it gets, but on the ocean I turn green with the smallest swells.

I once fished for giant bluefin tuna in the Strait of Canso in Nova Scotia. Even though I wore a patch I became so sick I didn't care whether we hooked one of those giants or not. It would be like fighting a VW bug. I was on a fam trip along with a gal from San Francisco. I told her any hooked fish was hers to battle.

This is her in the photo...

tunafishingNS.jpg

Last edited:
This is the most honest fishing video I've ever seen. I've been there 100 times, at least. Viewer discretion advised. 20 minute video, so Homer will never see it....lol

Eel , that made me both laugh and groan as I have had that happen so many times fishing by myself. Not the throwing up part as I must be part of the clan that doesn't get seasick.
I wish I had a video of a 6' Sturgeon I caught on the boat alone. Too long of a story but I did reel him in , lol. The net part getting caught on things, getting excited and dropping things etc.
Thanks for sharing this Eel.

Eel , that made me both laugh and groan as I have had that happen so many times fishing by myself. Not the throwing up part as I must be part of the clan that doesn't get seasick.
I wish I had a video of a 6' Sturgeon I caught on the boat alone. Too long of a story but I did reel him in , lol. The net part getting caught on things, getting excited and dropping things etc.
Thanks for sharing this Eel.
It gets challenging trying to net a fish on the kayak at times too. You have to just be patient and make sure the fish is played out. I was checking the weather and the tide and Tuesday looks like a go for halibut in the bay.

View attachment 38717
Been really enjoying the pics you’ve been posting Tony. Great fish, and great stories along with the pics!

It gets challenging trying to net a fish on the kayak at times too. You have to just be patient and make sure the fish is played out. I was checking the weather and the tide and Tuesday looks like a go for halibut in the bay.
I have a buddy that used to live in Utah. We went hunting to both Africa & New Zeland together. He is now in Fla. & has become a fishing fantatic, BUT... he uses one of those cool kayaks that you can peddle. Anyway, he & his friends go way out in the ocean with these kayaks and they often hook into a sailfish. Last week, this is what happened to one of them.

It's a photo of the fish's bill that had penetrated his pal's kayak.

181018209_6165061863519294_2056316072945340696_n.jpg

This is his friend with a sail in the same type kayak
179231388_6142407502451397_9119247915875852522_n.jpg

And this is my buddy with a fish on...

135764177_5595449363813883_5687277403601518906_n.jpg

Last edited:
I have a buddy that used to live in Utah. We went hunting to both Africa & New Zeland together. He is now in Fla. & has become a fishing fantatic, BUT... he uses one of those cool kayaks that you can peddle. Anyway, he & his friends go way out in the ocean with these kayaks and they often hook into a sailfish. Last week, this is what happened to one of them.

It's a photo of the fish's bill that had penetrated his pal's kayak.

View attachment 38795

This is his friend with a sail in the same tyope kayak
View attachment 38796

And this is my buddy with a fish on...

View attachment 38797
Hooking a Sailfish from a kayak would sure be a wild ride. I use a peddle Hobie kayak too. Hands free fishing. No Sailfish here to puncture our kayaks but Great White sharks munch on them once in awhile.

Hooking a Sailfish from a kayak would sure be a wild ride. I use a peddle Hobie kayak too. Hands free fishing. No Sailfish here to puncture our kayaks but Great White sharks munch on them once in awhile.
He had a Great White circling him last week, and Sat. he had a huge loggerhead turtle bump into him. He said the turtle's head was as big as his. Before he could get his camera out, it swam off.

I guess the water is too cold off CA for billfish to wander that far north, eh?

He had a Great White circling him last week, and Sat. he had a huge loggerhead turtle bump into him. He said the turtle's head was as big as his. Before he could get his camera out, it swam off.

I guess the water is too cold off CA for billfish to wander that far north, eh?
Yep, too cold here. Here's a link to a kayak that got hit by a GWS last year about this time. My Hobie is the same color as his....Yum Yum Yellow.

Yep, too cold here. Here's a link to a kayak that got hit by a GWS last year about this time. My Hobie is the same color as his....Yum Yum Yellow.

I had the theme from Jaws going thru my brain reading that. That's some scary chit.

That is a very honest fishing video. Getting sea sick and having fish come off. LOL Just watching him puke made me turn a little green. Nausea/Vomiting is contagious.

I've lost several fish that will haunt me that I could have netted multiple times easily.

We tend to mostly remember all the good parts of our hunting and fishing trips. I know my wife questions why I do what I do for fun because she knows about all the bad experiences I've had.

On a guided trip at Depoe Bay for Salmon I had caught my first fish and the wife one fish. The bait guy asked if a kid could hit the next fish I was reeling in with the fish club. I thought ok as the bait guy was right there. The kid just stood there looking at the fish and then the boat rolled a little and the fish slid out through a scupper and was gone. I never got a second legal fish. Wasn't happy but that is just a deal, lol.

Depoe Bay can be dangerous....getting in and out.

No halibut today. The only ones on the water this morning were me and the Humboldt State University girls rowing team. At least I think most of them were girls.

Depoe Bay can be dangerous....getting in and out.

No halibut today. The only ones on the water this morning were me and the Humboldt State University girls rowing team. At least I think most of them were girls.
Was Katlin in there trying to get votes and tell them they can play boys sports and be really good!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom