Fish shrinkage?

eelgrass

Long Time Member
The other day I went fishing at the Jetty and caught a lingcod. The minimum size is 22" and this one was right on the mark so I kept it. When I got home a couple hours later it was only 21.75" I could have gotten in some real trouble.

Has anyone ever noticed that fish shrink after being dead awhile?

Eel

It's written in the good Book that we'll never be asked to take more than we can. Sounds like a good plan, so bring it on!

I have seen fish shrinkage on occasion. I usually only keep fish that are over the minimum length for that reason and also as a check on my measurements.

They're mostly water I would expect as they lose water they shrink. But I haven't paid that much attention.

Every 1,000 lb marlin I ever caught weighed far less by the time I got them back to the dock.

2311idiot.jpg

>
>Every 1,000 lb marlin I ever
>caught weighed far less by
>the time I got them
>back to the dock.
>
>
>
>
2311idiot.jpg

1911 said that's not the only shrinkage you've experienced. I don't know what he was talking about though.

Eel
It's written in the good Book that we'll never be asked to take more than we can. Sounds like a good plan, so bring it on!

>Poacher!
>
>
>[font color="blue"]I don't make the soup,I
>just stir it.[/font]

You got something against poachers?

Eel

NVB, I ate the evidence.

Eel

Most of the Trout i catch get smaller as i wind them in. They are all at least 10 pounders when i first see or feel the bite but are lucky to be 3 or 4 pounds by the time they reach he net! :)

Hate it when that happens! lol

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Well Eel?

You ever Disappoint any of the Ladies with Dimensions in your Life?:D

[font color="redhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMsueOnu0kY

I lived in FL for 5 years and owned a boat every year I was there (still trying to sell it actually). I had a 1/4" rule on my boat. Everything we kept had to be at least a 1/4" over the min to account for shrinkage. Most F&G officers would let you go if you were only 1/4" short but not all.

Ltsheets, that's actually a good policy. I think I'll start doing that. 1/4" over minimum. Thanks!

Do they make a "fish stretcher"?:)

Eel

Yes eel! I store mine next to my sky hook and board stretcher, right behind my boatsman's punch!

No problem! It was a tough rule to adhere to sometimes but everytime I heard someone get busted for short fish, it reaffirmed why I used that rule.

>Ltsheets, that's actually a good policy.
>I think I'll start doing
>that. 1/4" over minimum. Thanks!
>
>
>Do they make a "fish stretcher"?:)
>
>
>Eel
>
>It's written in the good Book
>that we'll never be asked
>to take more than we
>can. Sounds like a good
>plan, so bring it on!
>
>
>

Hey Eel!

Instead of Relying on this:

3556mm_redneck-measuring-tape.jpg

You should get you a MM Big Buck Measuring Tape!:D

[font color="redhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMsueOnu0kY

I'll drink to that!:D

Eel

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom