fish lake elk

utarchery

i thinking of putting in for fish lake archery elk, i have almost enough points so what are your thoughs? lets see some pics of some recent fish lake bulls!!

I had the late season tag 2 years ago. I received a ton of help from people on this site. Gledeasy, muley73, dack77, bigjohn, hogg65 and others helped me on my hunt, and they know way more than I do. PM me if you are interested, and I'll share what I know.

Fishlake is a fun hunt, lots of elk. Trophy quality isn't the best, I wouldn't pass a pretty 6 point, a bull over 300 would be a good bull in that unit with a bow, Lots of roads and wheeler trails.

My home unit! Cashed my points in 2013 and I hope I'm able to again within the next 10 years. Going into this hunt my personal goal was a 300" bull. I planned on holding off for a bigger bull on the front end of the hunt, but knew I'd be happy with a fun hunt and a 300" would be a cherry on top. I shot this bull the last week of the hunt. He ended up scoring 310 6/8, but honestly I didn't care about the score. It was a super fun hunt on the unit I grew up on chasing elk.

5480image.jpg

7803image.jpg

There are no elk on Fish Lake. Don't waste your points. I don't know how many times I have tell you guys. Oh this is a picture of my boys bull he shot last year.
2095image.jpg

My buddy had the tag last year and ate soup. He had a hard time finding the bulls. He hunts there every year and had seen lots of bulls in the past, until he had a tag. They they were all gone, atleast the areas he had normally seen them. He was frustrated.

I love the Fish Lake unit. Lots of elk cover the unit and it certainly has some nice bulls within. The unit does however present its challenges. It's filled with lots of private ground, the unit gets lots of traffic, and the terrain/vegetation brings its own quirks as well.

It's a tough hunt/unit, but if one can approach it with the right mindset they'll have a good time regardless if they harvest or not.

Here are some bulls last year during the archery hunt.

Here is my bull 2 years ago on the early rifle.

1232img_1015.jpg

Not the unit it once was, but still a hunt of a lifetime. 2016 has better archery dates. If you can hold out till then, I would.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom