First hunt of 2017 - Successful!!

Blank

Long Time Member
Back down in Texas for my Scimitar-horned Oryx hunt on Mason Mt WMA, courtesy of TPWD thru their Public Hunting draw program. Great time and met some of the nicest people there. This was a fully guided hunt, with food and lodging provided. Two of us were hunting scimitar and two others were hunting gemsbok. We were successful on 3 out of 4, but one guy did wound and lose a gemsbok.

I looked at an amazing amount of property and animals, and held out until the final morning. My bull is very nice at 39.5", and will provide great tasting meat and a beautiful trophy.

47842img2096.jpg

You would think hunting a pure white animal would be a easy task, but bury them deep in the shin oak and live oak cover they like and it was a real challenge. Since both bulls and cows have identical horns, the first thing after finding one is determine its sex. Sometimes the grass was belly high and we never could. Top it off, they always want to walk straight away without giving you a shot. Finally, they are as hearty and tough as an elk, so a bad shot is not what you want to see. I had a ball, and it was a real hunt.

One more off my bucket list of life's hunting experiences.

Nice!

Just Curious if the Wounded Animal was shot with a Barnes Bullet?

And Did You Recover your Bullet Blank?

"""WE WILL MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!"""
17226trump.jpg

Actually, the three animals were taken with 7 REM Mag , 150 and 2 160 TSX. Single shots, and they all exited. The animal that was lost was with a 300 WSM and a premium bonded core bullet. It was about 12" behind the shoulder, which is a gut shot on a gemsbok.

The hunter and guide followed blood for 3 hours that night, and jumped it once without a shot opportunity. The next morning 6 people looked and really combed all the area, found a little gut matter, but that was all. He vanished and was swallowed up by country and other animals

Ya!

I'd Prefer to Take a Shoulder/Front End out!

Much Exit Damage on the Barnes Blank?

17226trump.jpg

Congrats on a cool looking animal. Got to love those Barnes bullets. Right Bessy ? I have never heard of that area. But I have a brother living in Texas. ?

When a Barnes Works as it Should!

There Ain't Anything Much Better!

I Hear The Condors Sure Like Them!

No More Lead poisoning!

17226trump.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Jan-29-17 AT 10:12AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jan-29-17 AT 10:06?AM (MST)

Very nice! Is that a fair chase hunt?

Edit: ignore my question. I got the answer from their website.

When you ask that, I assume you want to know if it is high fenced. The answer for everyone is - Yes, it is. It is a 5500 acre research station for deer/exotic game and birds and reptiles. Now, is it fair chase? You bet it is, that's nine square miles!!! That much brush hides stuff far better than any sagebrush hillside or quakie pocket at home in Idaho. You saw the fence going in and we made sure we stayed away from it the rest of the hunt. We did a lot of walking and climbing around the rim rocks, and glassed a lot. Make hunts as hard as you like personally, and be satisfied

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom