First bone of the year.

eelgrass

Long Time Member
I went out to work in the garden this morning and this little jewel co-operated for a photo. The first buck I've seen this year.

6336buck_002.jpg

Steve, don't look like that lil guy is going to have enough meat on him for a decent BBQ!

Growning up, we had bucks come in near to the Ranch house but they were all fair game. If they forked out and hung around during the season, they eventually hung around dressed out on the ol single-tree.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

No pics but I have seen a lot of what look like they will be decent bucks in the last week.

You ever seen a squatch in them there woods, eel?

Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good health for granted because it can be gone in a heartbeat. Please go back and read the last line. This time really understand what it says.

I am sitting shot gun going down 101 near mill valley and I just saw a big fork in velvet that looked like his rack couldn't grow much more!

Joey, I've only taken one buck on my property since we built here in 1975. I was laid off and really wanted one. I actually took two that year as I got another one on Forest Service.

Eel

Eel, You know how it is when younger, most anything is a target and a buck is a Buck!

Nowadays, if i had deer and bucks in my yard, i wouldn't shoot them either and heaven help somebody who came on my property to do so.

6X7, seems a good bit early. We used to archery hunt the A zone starting around July 4th. Even then, most all, if not all, the bucks were in velvet, some still had a good bit to fill out.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

I do know they can drop a lot earlier over this way when we pheasant hunt in the valley I have seen the bucks shed at the beginning of November so some must get a good head start,bucks on the east side of the valley still haven't branched yet from the main beams.that mill valley buck was branched fork with a 18 inch spread supper heavy with 6 inch tines.

LAST EDITED ON May-17-14 AT 09:14AM (MST)[p]I had a pic sent to me of a buck with horns out past his ears and just starting to turn up ,plus one eye gaurd.It lived about 30 miles from your area elkslayer.

I haven't been out much lately but I see 2-4 bucks a week going down my road regularly. They haven't grown much. The bachelor group I usually see going into town were pretty small last time i saw them, 7-10 days ago.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom