First Archery Antelope

T

TazerFloyd

Was lucky enough to arrow him right down the road here in New Mexico. 60 yard spot and stalk.

8084antelope.jpg

Great buck! Congrats!

Anytime somebody posts "Antelope" vs. "Goat" when it is actually an antelope, I want to kiss them in the mouth.

This is an antelope and thank you. I can't believe I didn't apply for archery. I gambled on rifle and lost.

+1 on the "antelope" posts...hearing "goat" or "speedgoat" is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me...and very nice antelope buck btw!

Congrats!

I hope to get my first antelope this year, will be with my bow unit 10... 1 week away.

+1 to zigga and bighorn191
The Pronghorn antelope is cool enough to have a name all it's own.

AND, Congratulations on a sweet trophy AND with a bow!
Great kill photo too!

Good job and have a great Fall season!

Zeke

Did you simply use the terrain and vegetation to get within 60 yards of that buck or did you use some other tactic? I will be going on my first antelope hunt this year and I am surpised you can get that close.

It's not easy to get within 150 to 200 yards of them. I spent 3 days crawling around on my stomach and decoying with no success and I did the exact same thing last year with no success. It was so wet and rainy that sitting in a ground blind at a waterhole was useless. Here is a pic of the antelope through the Kowa before I put my stalk on him. He was bedded and without any does and that is all very helpful. I parked the truck high up on a hill where he could see it and then I crawled away and walked what felt like several miles around behind him as he was fixated on the truck in the distance. I then crawled behind him to 70 yards. At that point he sensed something was wrong, stood up and turned and looked at me and actually walked toward me for 10 yards trying to figure out what I was as I put the arrow in him. Good luck out there, it's a blast no matter what happens.

897341125_432310083887_802508887_4686496_4433417_n.jpg

Even better now we know a little more of the story.
That's doing it the hard way! Congratulations again!

Zeke

Great GOAT. Congrats on a great bow kill. Looks like he has some awesome length.

"blaming guns for violence is like blaming spoons for Rosie O'donnell being fat."

Nice One!! Congrats!!!

Zagga said, "Anytime somebody posts "Antelope" vs. "Goat" when it is actually an antelope, I want to kiss them in the mouth."

That cuts it, i'll never call them "Antelope" again!!

Honestly, if you guys can get upset when guys express their pet monikers for "lopes", my preferred pseudonym, you must be hard to live with.

Joey

A scientific tidbit for you "goat haters":

Pronghorn Antelope

History
Antilocapra americana, which literally means the "American goat-antelope". There are 5 Pronghorn subspecies:

Antilocapra americana anteflexa
A.a. oregona
A.a. mexicana
A.a. peninsularis
A.a. sonoriensis

great "goat" and thanks for posting the scientific translation of the taxonomy, I'm going back to "goat" if and when I feel like it from now on!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom