First Antelope

L

ladyhunter

Last week I was blessed to get my very first antelope. My whole family and a few friends were along for the trip. Everyone tells me that I am lucky to get such a big buck, but regardless of what he scores I am just happy to have had the opportunity. Anyone want to guess what he scores? I included a picture of my little boy trying to spot me an antelope.

DSCN0152.jpg

DSCN0160.jpg

DSCN0168.jpg

DSCN0183.jpg

Good job, very nice Buck! That something I see alot with lope hunts, a easy hunt to bring the whole family along!

Very nice buck sounds like you may want to go again tons of family fun might see if my wife will pick up hunting she may enjoy antelope hunting also.Hunting goats can be action packed but harvesting a buck like the one you did can be tricky if the area you are hunting gets hunting pressure those big boys wise up pretty quick.
Good job that's a trophy.

Congratulations on your first pronghorn! Photos can be deceiving on antelope but he appears to be about 75", especially the third photo.

It looks like it was a happy time for the family and that's the important thing!

Eel

Regardless of the score congrats on the Great Goat! Looks nice specially being your first! Even better that you got to share the whole experience with your family and friends! They smell funky don't they?

Congrats on an awesome first goat. Great mass good legnth and nice shape. I'd say 77.

He is actually 15 2/8 inches on both horns. We are waiting a few more weeks to have it officially scored. My husband and the taxidermist came up with 81 inches when I first shot it. I have heard that they do shrink a little. Is this true?

I actually feel real lucky, as the hunt was quite fast and easier than we thought. The biologist had told us that the unit did hold a few real good bucks, but not to pass up a mid 70's buck. I also have a Utah Bear Tag (which I still need to try and fill), so we did not hunt the opening weekend. We drove the 3 + hours late Sunday night. We arrived in the unit early Monday morning. My husband and a friend got up early and headed out to check things out while my father-n-law, kids and I slept a little longer. We planned to hunt 3 or 4 days if needed.

At about 9:30 a.m. they returned saying they had seen a few antelope, including a few medium size bucks. As we got the kids ready to go, a truck drove by and my husband talked with the two hunters. They had been at it for two days and claimed to have seen very few bucks and nothing big. We headed out just after 10:00 am, down the road the hunters had just came out on. Not five minutes from camp two bucks were chasing a doe 100 yards off the road. When we slowed down they ran out to about 1000 yards. After checking the two bucks we figured the biggest buck was a real nice one.

We did not want to end the hunt so fast but, he looked real good. We found a little side road and drove a little closer. We stopped and watched the three antelope for a little while. There was nothing between us and them so my husband said lets try the shot. If reassured me that if I missed we could follow the buck or find another. But said he was confident that I could hit the buck at that range. We checked the charts and dialed up the scope. I missed at first but after one more minor adjustment from the charts. I put him down with just one hit. The shot was caught on film @ 583 yards.

We followed the road up almost right to the buck. We unloaded the kids and walked over. The kids had so much fun and it was such a great hunt. After 8 years of applying I finally got my buck. Now we are hoping to find a bear this weekend. I will only be able to stay right by the road (I am almost 37 weeks pregnant) so if anyone has seen a bear close to a road in the wasatch west unit please let me know.

ladyhunter

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom