Fireworks, mmmm

There A Reason You Should Never Look Down A Loaded Barrel?
Well, duh.

In 1966 or so I learned that same lesson, on the cheap.

I was lighting a cone shaped thingy, with a parachute and a US flag on top. There was a weighted ball which gave a bit more downward trajectory.

Anyway, I leaned over, lit the fuse and next thing I know, I am on the ground, looking up and sporting a round patch of burned skin just above my eyebrows, but otherwise between my eyes.

I dunno if the fuse had an air gap or what else happened, but I learned quickly.

I had a friend in Grade School that had a pocket full of firecrackers. He also had a punk that is used to light fireworks. He was doing something when the end touched a fuse sticking out of his pocket. It lit all of them off. Skin grafts to fix him up . He said he was lucky it didn't mess up his "junk". One in a billion odds lined up to do something like that.

Last edited:
We had our own fireworks mishap event last night in Crescent City.

MASS CASUALTY INCIDENT ON CRESCENT CITY BEACH AFTER FIREWORKS ACCIDENT YESTERDAY​

A tragic incident occurred last night, July 4, on the beach near Crescent City when a private fireworks display went horribly wrong, resulting in a mass casualty event. Just before 10:30 p.m., a group of people was setting off large fireworks for families gathered on the beach. The display, not affiliated with the city, ended in disaster when a box of fireworks ignited prematurely, sending mortars flying into the crowd.

Includes video. Judging from the names, I believe I know these people.

Crescent City Fire and Rescue Chief Kevin Carey told us, “Apparently (facts and investigation ongoing) a large display of fireworks from an individual had some sort of mishap in its operation. This, in turn, caused other ignition and explosions of other combustibles in the vicinity. Fireworks/exploding debris injured 14 individuals… ”

Chief Carey explained, “An MCI (multi casualty incident) was declared. US 101 HWY completely shut down for the incident. Victims varied in age and are still being confirmed.”

Among the injured was SuZanna Church’s nephew, who suffered severe burns and a collapsed lung. “My nephew was hit in the back by a mortar, causing his lung to collapse and severe burns,” Church recounted. “It also caused burns on my sister’s body.” She added that another young family member was also burned.

Church described the chaos that ensued, noting the presence of a nearby officer who was able to assist immediately. “Luckily, there was an officer close,” Church told us. My sister spotted [the officer] after she had taken the kids from the explosion. [She and her child had] hid behind a car, and then ran to the police officer who called an ambulance. Once at the hospital, they weren’t equipped to handle my nephew’s injuries, so they life-flighted him to Portland. They had to make a pit stop because he flatlined, and they had to resuscitate him.”

The incident led to a chaotic scene. The scanner showed the challenges emergency personnel faced. Note: This audio has been edited to remove silences, radio static, non-pertinent traffic, and other calls

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom