fires during hunt?

schoolhousegrizz

Very Active Member
I have never really had a campfire during a hunt I always figured it scared away the animals. What about you guys? I have seen the Eastmans do it during the day on some of their videos.

I don't make camp in the basins I plan on hunting..I like a fire after a hunt unless I'm too pooped when I get back then its eat and bedtime..Having said that, I don't think it bothers the critters, it's a pretty natural smell to them..

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Its probably been 30 years since I had a fire during hunting season, but I wouldn't worry about the smell.

Wet, cold rain or snow with a low hanging fog, good day to regroup. Maybe catch another couple hours, have a nice little fire, cook up all the stuff before it goes bad, and utterly gorge yourself and those around, with good food and questionable stories cooked by man and spiced by Mother Nature.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

>Wet, cold rain or snow with
>a low hanging fog, good
>day to regroup. Maybe catch
>another couple hours, have a
>nice little fire, cook up
>all the stuff before it
>goes bad, and utterly gorge
>yourself and those around, with
>good food and questionable stories
>cooked by man and spiced
>by Mother Nature.
>
>Joey

I think I'm in love!
You painted a nice picture there sage.
That's exactly how I feel.
Zeke

On the fip-side: we were hunting a basin in Idaho that was FULL of elk. We camped without a fire but on the third or forth day we built a fire since we were freezing to death.
We knew the basin was a little tight to hold elk and have a fire but we pushed our luck..... and lost.
The elk moved out and we never could find them.
Maybe learn from our mistakes. Have a fire but not right where you're hunting!
Zeke

>On the fip-side: we were hunting
>a basin in Idaho that
>was FULL of elk. We
>camped without a fire but
>on the third or forth
>day we built a fire
>since we were freezing to
>death.
>We knew the basin was a
>little tight to hold elk
>and have a fire but
>we pushed our luck..... and
>lost.
>The elk moved out and we
>never could find them.
>Maybe learn from our mistakes. Have
>a fire but not right
>where you're hunting!
>Zeke

Same thing goes for taking a dump. In fact, that is what probably scared the elk away, not the fire. Taking a dump drives the critters away and you don't want to hunt what it attracts!!

"Pics or it didn't happen!"

Favorite way to hunt is solo in the back country (llama packing now) in.

Even on those when I hike "in-n-out"...never enough time/energy for a fire. I do have backpack gas stoves.

Campfires sometimes, if there is a camp near the truck.....family members enjoy that kind of hunting.

Within the shadows, go quietly.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom