Fire lapping v. hand lapping a barrel....which have you tried?

feddoc

Long Time Member
I tried fire lapping my .220 Swift, but didn't notice that much of a difference. I'm more tempted to take a couple of my guns to the smith just to wring out a bit more accuracy.

Anyone here ever try either...or both with good results?

Thanks

Compromise, hell! ... If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?

I can tell you that unless trained properly you'll more than likely ruin a good barrel by hand lapping it. When any barrel maker trains a new hand lapper they usually give them some bad barrels to learn with. Most gunsmiths haven't lapped a barrel in their lifetimes that's why they buy top quality barrels that are already lapped. It's much easier to ruin an barrel than improve it by more lapping so be careful. You may be giving up what accuracy you have and wind up having to buy a new barrel at much greater expense.

Proper hand lapping is a art that very few know how to do right.
As for fire lapping the barrel. why did you do it? Did it have a abundance of tool marks, or a tight spot that you needed to remove to improve accuracy or prevent excessive copper buildup.
Fire lapping is not a cure all for all accuracy problems, if you have a in-accurate barrel, you may still have a in-accurate barrel after fire lapping or even hand lapping.

I only fire lap a barrel if it has a problem with excessive copper buildup that deterates the accuracy. Or a tight spot, usually found where the barrel screws in to the receiver or where a sight dove tail has been cut on the barrel.

RELH

It had more tool marks than what I thought it should have. An older model Savage single shot, bull barrel I bought in 90 or so. Still a very good shooter.

Compromise, hell! ... If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom