Fire closures, ID Salmon Region

S

Salmonfg

From a news release I prepared today - should be on the IDFG web site shortly.

Two large wildfires and associated area closures imposed by the U.S. Forest Service will likely impact early-season hunting opportunities in parts of Game Management Units (GMUs) 21, 27, 36, and 36B.

The Halstead fire closure currently includes all of GMU 36 north of Highways 21 and 75, as well as smaller areas south of those highways; most of GMU 36B west of Squaw Creek; and the southern portion of GMU 27, roughly south of the Middle Fork Salmon River and Sleeping Deer road. The closure area for the Mustang fire includes all of GMU 21 west of Indian Creek and the eastern portion of GMU 20.

Up-to-date fire information is available through the InciWeb web site. Specific links, which include updates, maps, and additional contact information are
Halstead fire: http://www.inciweb.org/incident/3062/
Mustang fire: http://www.inciweb.org/incident/3100/

Impacts may last well into September, and possibly October.

Idaho Fish and Game does not recommend closing hunts or altering season dates in response to fire restrictions. Hunters affected by a fire closure can adjust their schedule to hunt later in the season or exchange general tags to hunt in a different area. But tags must be exchanged before the season begins (Aug 30 for general archery seasons). Hunters with controlled hunt tags may exchange them for general season tags before the controlled hunt begins. Controlled hunt fees will not be refunded. Hunters may contact licensing at 208-334-2592, or a license vendor.

Fish and Game will consider requests for rain checks or refunds in the event that access to a hunting unit is blocked by fire. Hunters requesting a rain check will be required to submit their tags and permits with a letter describing the conditions of their request. Rain checks would be evaluated case-by-case at the end of the hunting season. Rain checks would be valid in 2013 and offered only for the same species and hunt area as the hunter held in 2012. Written requests should be sent to the license section at Fish and Game, P.O. Box 25, Boise ID 83707 when the season is over.

Tom Keegan
IDFG Salmon Region Wildlife Manager

Boy, that fire is burning like crazy up there. Thanks for the update Tom. In hindsight, I'm glad i didnt put in for that 27 Moose tag. Hope the critters make it out ok. I found one fawn burned, but alive in one of the fires. With some help from the local fish and game, I fed her Goats milk and a trip to the vdt with a clean bill of health. As far as I know she is in Boise rehabbing and on her way to Northern Idaho to live on a wildlife refuge.
One good story out of the bad. Man, it is dry out there.

Update: a small portion of 36A in the northwest corner is now closed due to Halstead Fire.

Update to closures:

Mustang Complex -
All of Unit 21 is currently closed to entry and the closure was expanded to include Unit 21A north of Fourth of July Creek.

Halstead Fire -
The small closure area in the northwest corner of Unit 36A was lifted.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom