Finally got a Wolf

Y

Yoyak

Well after years of trying, I finally was able to take a wolf here in Idaho. After looking back and recalling all the wolf sightings over the past 10 years this was the 23rd wolf I've seen in Idaho and only the second one I've had a shot at.
It was basically a spot and stalk hunt that started by climbing as much elevation as possible first thing in the morning. I spotted this young female on a patch of snow below us on the ridge and probably 1500 to 2000 yards out. Black dog on white snow make her easy to spot. She was coming up the ridge towards us so we moved down the ridge a little to cut her off and position ourselves for a shot. She came over the ridge at 120 yards and the rest is history. It was a poor display of shooting for me, and I think its safe to say I was a little rattled by the experience. And it was my first rifle hunt in 6 years so that didn't help.

She was a young female and only weighed 75lbs, but was still impressive. I'd love to see a 100lb+ wolf in person.

I don't like what wolves are doing to our game herds, but I don't hate them. In fact I have nothing but respect for them as the ultimate predator and the most challenging game animal in the State. I wish they weren't here but since they are, we might as well take advantage of the opportunity to hunt the ultimate predator.
Good luck out there to everyone chasing them for the last weekend. I know I will be.

199068_485065261561282_585192897_n_zpsb480efc8.jpg

887002_484369908295920_1699705086_o_zps89f42143.jpg

www.pure-elevation.com

Congratulations that is a beautiful black wolf. They truly are the most challenging game animal. I hope you can get another one.

Right on brother, all that time and effort paying off must feel like a huge success. congrats.

My favorite hunts are because they were with friends and family not just because "I got one".

Awesome, congrats!

Loved the last P.E movie Jason, just about to watch it again... No movie coming out for the 2012 season?

Thanks for the comments everyone. I hope the elk gods will reward me this fall...
twsnow18- thanks for the kind words on the video, I'm glad you liked it. Probably no video for the 2012 seasons, kills on film were hard to come by. We did get 3 but didn't feel like it was enough for a dvd. But webisodes and Full Draw Film Tour videos...definitely. We just put out a teaser clip for the FDFT video:
http://player.vimeo.com/video/63164155

Thanks,
Jason
www.pure-elevation.com

WOW!!!!!! JASON NICE GOING......COOL TROPHY DOG. I WILL BE IN IDAHO LATE NOVEMBER TO GIVE IT A TRY. IT WILL BE MY FIRST WOLF HUNT.......I AM THINKING I WILL TRY THE LEWISTON AREA....IF YOU GOT ANY POINTERS FOR ME......I AM ALL EARS. CONGRATS.......................YD.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom