Final rifle scope opinions?

COLOelkman

Very Active Member
Still looking to get a scope and haven't had time to do much shopping/comparing. I'm leaning towards Nikon Monarchs but also considering Leupold VX 2 or 3 (based on my price range). I did look thru both just once and couldn't see why the Leupolds were generally more costly. Is it just the good reputation or what? I know lots of people like the Leup's but if you haven't tried both, it seems hard to compare (for me) and likely not many people have both brands in current models. I've had a hard time finding any reviews/recommendations comparing them side by side from an objective source. On warranty, I've heard Leup's are lifetime transferrable and wasn't positve it Nikons are transferrable but they are lifetime. Since I don't plan to sell it, I'm not sure if the warranty is a significant factor. Seems like the coatings would be a bigger factor but I'm not sure how to compare coating differences. So I just thought I'd see if anyone has thoughts or experience on this. I'd greatly appreciate any thought as I need to pull the trigger soon!

Forgot to add I'm looking for a variable scope bigger than a x9 and up to x16 for elk and deer hunting.

I own the Leoupold vx2 on one rifle as well as the Monarch on the other however both of mine are 3x9x. I think both scopes are very good I do believe Leopold gathers light better which is a significant factor for me. The Monarch isn't bad though and it has been all I've needed in most cases. I don't think you can go wrong with either company I also own binocs from both companies also very good. I would try to look through both scopes in real low light and make a decision from that. Before I buy new optics I take with the salesman about 5 pair out in the parking lot just before dark, Cabela's has always allowed this and then make my decision. Best of luck to you.

I'm a big fan of burris scopes - good scope for the $$ - something in everyone's price range, and a great warranty. I own three of them.

Keep the Sun at Your Back and the Wind in Your Face

THe Leupold VX3 is a good scope but if you drop down to the VX 2 you are selling yourself short optically compared to other scopes in the same price range-espically the Nikon Monarch and Bushnell elite 4200 series.

Personally I like the optics better in the Monarch over the VX3 but feel the Leupold is built better.

If you can not afford the VX3 in the power range you desire take a look at the Bushnell Elite 4200 series or Nikon.

The Burris signature select series of scopes are also optically excellent and durable.

I have a Nikon Monarch 3x9, VX-II 3x9 and a VX-III 4.5x14, and in my opinion the VX-III is by far the best. It has better glass especially at the higher powers. Leupolds warranty is second to none. If you have a problem with it or it gets damaged they fix it, no questions asked and fast!!! I have a Zeiss scope and the cross hairs were loose and it took two and a half months to get it back. I have a friend that his Dad's rifle was in a fire and Leupold told them to send it in and they would check it out to make sure it was ok, and in less than two weeks they sent him a new one. If the lenses get scratched they fix them. That's worth a few extra bucks in my book, especially if you plan on using for years.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom