Fillmore Pahvant Elk

MJM353

Hello. I am new to this forum. I moved back to Utah three years ago after being on active duty and away from hunting for quite a while. I unexpectedly drew a late season bull tag in the Fillmore Pahvant Unit. It isn't that far from where I live in Cedar and I have recently gone up there to start getting familiar with the unit. It is a pretty rugged place and I have never done anything in the late season. I know that late season differs from the other hunts in many ways and that weather will play a major factor in where the bulls go post rut.

If anyone on this forum has hunted this unit for elk (especially late season) could aid me with some advice to narrow down my scouting, I would be grateful. I am not looking for anyone's hard earned secret spot that I can just roll into. This means a great deal to me and I am afraid that I will waste valuable scouting time in the wrong area and not fill a tag that is a tremendous gift.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Anyone's hard earned secret spot will either be a guide/outfitter or someone who chases spikes and cows with archery tackle hoping to one day draw an LE permit.

Anyway, look to either the higher country or the north side of ridges in dark timber. Bulls late season will be at either one of these two types of places.

I have never hunted this unit, but can't believe it is much more different than any other unit I have hunted.

Also, you can go to the hunt planner under the hunting tab on the DWR website to get a little more "generalized" info on where to start.

I'll be on the unit Labor Day weekend and we have 5 GS rifle deer tags there. I'll let you know if I see anything note worthy. I have seen a handful of bulls on trail cameras this year that were decent bulls. Those were on the south end of the unit. We always run into elk on the unit - you shouldn't have much of a problem finding elk.

We found the best age class of bulls on the north end of the unit east of Holden. My brother in-law had the tag in ?13 and killed a 330 class bull on the last day. Pray for snow! We had a tough time due to hot temps and no precipitation. Good luck let me know if you need any further info.

MJM353,
Scouting this early in the year may not really help you in finding Late Season Bulls.
By the time the late season rolls around the old bulls have found Bachelor pads in isolated places to hang out. Smart old bulls are not always real visible that time of year and it will take some searching to find a good one, especially one that's not all broken from fighting.

I have never hunted that unit so I can't help but I too heard that in the late season some good bulls hang out east of Holden, for what that's worth.

>MJM353,
>Scouting this early in the year
>may not really help you
>in finding Late Season Bulls.
>
>By the time the late season
>rolls around the old bulls
>have found Bachelor pads in
>isolated places to hang out.
> Smart old bulls are
>not always real visible that
>time of year and it
>will take some searching to
>find a good one, especially
>one that's not all broken
>from fighting.
>
>I have never hunted that unit
>so I can't help but
>I too heard that in
>the late season some good
>bulls hang out east of
>Holden, for what that's worth.
>

+1

Holden was a place that we were going to look at later in the year. Thanks again and I will shoot you something if I need more.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom