Female Speed Goats

H

Hanson

I just started hunting speed goats this year and don't know a whole lot about them, but I have one question. Do females have horns? Sounds like a dumb question and if it is take it easy on me. Thanks.

They do, but rarely do they get over 1-2" They are not even really connected that well, just kind of held on by cartiledge.

Jeff

Here are a couple of pics of a doe with horns I shot last year. Look for the lack of a black cheek patch to confirm a doe instead of a young buck.

doe1_723397.jpg

doehorn_57679.jpg

COak - those are some trophy horns for a doe, my wife has shot a couple in the last few years and they had horns but nothing like those - never seen any that long - she musta been old.

Keep the Sun at Your Back and the Wind in Your Face

yep they do, what i tell people is not to look at the horns but at the face. a bucks face will be black from the tip of the nose all the way up past the eyes to near the base of the horns. a friend of mine and i once snuck up on a group of antelope to pull the double whammy on does. we both shot at the same time. my "doe" went down and his "buck" went down. it only had about 6" horns. luckily he had a buck tag with him. that's why i look at the face.

rifleman- I did the same thing when I was younger. I had a buck and a doe tag and thought I had a doe in my sights. My Dad was shocked when he saw the goat on the right go down instead of the one on the left. The one on the right was a very, very small buck and the one on the left was a doe. I won't make that mistake again. What a waste of a buck tag!! Live and learn!

Steve

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom