Favorite Yote Methods

G

gaetz

Post up your favorite methods of taking down song dogs. Can't wait to see all your responses.

TRH

I've shot them off farm roads and while deer hunting....most successful and fun is typical calling. I've used mouth calls but am much "better" with an electronic caller.

I use various injured-prey calls but the most fun (the coyotes have SUCH and attitude) is when I can "pick a fight" by sounding like another coyote.

Within the shadows, go quietly.

I'm with beavis on this one, but unfortunately, the dogs spot my truck at about 2 miles away and rarely hang long enough for me to get a shot.

I hide at about 400 yards from a dead cow or???? and ambush them.

I have a remote foxpro but I am deaf, so I have to use it where I have an extensive field of fire and can see them coming from a long way off.

The farther the shot, the happier I am, so I don't use the shotgun....except at night with lights and calls and friends.

Weird, but I feel bad if I hit one on the hiway with the truck....go figure?

"whackin' a surly bartender ain't much of a crime"

I crawl up on the roof of my cabin and used hand calls. The cabin backs up to about 30,000 or so acres of BLM.

Compromise, hell! ... If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?

LAST EDITED ON May-12-11 AT 11:34PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON May-12-11 AT 11:33?PM (MST)

As I write this on the phone I am sitting on the porch listening to them sing away. Shooting yodel dogs is as big passion of mine, as big muleys are. I have killed numerous, and have to say hand calling them in close is a huge rush. I have, and use successfully an e-caller but there is nothing finer than hand calling in a double or triple. On my bucket list is calling in a lion. I hear that will blow your socks off because you never see them until they are shotgun range!

Lion...

In early fall of 1997 I took a trip to my BILs place outside of Nevada City, CA. He has about 300 acres. His place had lots of deer stands, so, I bought some chicken meat at the store, and chummed it in a circle around this one stand. Walked back to the cabin, and headed back out about an hour later. Got up in the stand with my AR and .45 and started calling after things settled down. Nothing. Called some more. Nothing but the birds singing. Then everything got quiet. I thought I heard something so, as I turned, I gave a couple of toots. Then I heard footsteps crunching in the forest. They stopped. I tooted again. The steps sounded like someone running. Then they stopped again. Out of the corner of my eye (I had turned slightly to get a better view) I saw the cat's tail twitching just like a house cat, only bigger. I lobbed a couple of rounds over his head and went home. Later my BIL told me that the previous owner had a cat snatch a year old dog off the front porch in daylight as the mom watched.

>LAST EDITED ON May-12-11
>AT 11:34?PM (MST)

>
>LAST EDITED ON May-12-11
>AT 11:33?PM (MST)

>
>As I write this on the
>phone I am sitting on
>the porch listening to them
>sing away. Shooting yodel
>dogs is as big passion
>of mine, as big muleys
>are. I have killed
>numerous, and have to say
>hand calling them in close
>is a huge rush.
>I have, and use successfully
>an e-caller but there is
>nothing finer than hand calling
>in a double or triple.
> On my bucket
>list is calling in a
>lion. I hear that
>will blow your socks off
>because you never see them
>until they are shotgun range!
>

Compromise, hell! ... If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?

Sweet Feddoc!! Even though you were in Cali I would have had a hard time not lowering the sights a little more:) I hope my dad draws out his Nv deer tag so we can do a little lion hunting while scouting or after he tags out. They say doe or fawn distress is the meal ticket. I think I would have to set my e-caller in a draw and sit above it 100 yards or so. Definitely don't need a cat on my back. I know two guys who have had bobcats sneak in behind them within a couple feet and one actually had one jump at him and figure out in mid air he was not a rabbit and back pedaled in the air to get away. Pretty cool!

So far the best luck I've had is to go turkey hunting. Once I get set up and make a few hen yelps, the coyotes come running. I guess I sound like a dying hen turkey? I've never called in a turkey, by the way.

Eel

Everything that dies and all big game scraps go to the ?Bone pile? 263 yards from my kitchen table.
Open the sliders a half a foot quietly at day light? Don?t turn any lights on ?.. The wife just loves how I wake her up !
She also has some kind of? issue ?with my sand bags on the table all winter?? What's up with that?

Tried to shoot one digging in the dumpster at MacDonalds in Hawthorne Nevada about one in the morning a few years ago. Couldn't get a clear shot and didn't wanna get tossed in the can.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom