Favorite wild game meal?

eelgrass

Long Time Member
Grilled medium rare buck backstrap, new potatoes fried in butter, grilled corn on the cob, fresh home grown sliced tomatoes, washed down with a mason jar of sweet ice tea. Followed by fresh strawberries and home made ice cream.

I like to dream this time of year:)

What's yours?

Eel

It's written in the good Book that we'll never be asked to take more than we can. Sounds like a good plan, so bring it on!

Eel,
That sounds like my kind of food. No, really, it's MY kind of food!
Sometimes it's moose, other times it's deer or nasty old elk but it's always wild meat for me. Too bad I don't have the new potatoes of vine ripened tomatoes this time of year but I sub them with the store-bought stuff until I can have better.
Thanks for making me hungry. It's lunch time around here.
Zeke

Pheasant fried just like chicken or
Breast stripped out and rolled in flour and seasoning,and Deep fat fried.
Serviced up with Hot/spicey ranch dressing

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Elkheart, cooked in the crockpot all day with baby carrots, baby reds, celery and onion, salt pepper garlic. Sliced thin with a little brown gravy on top. Finished with a big slice of cheesecake. Oh yea, plenty of sippin crown throughout!

LAST EDITED ON Mar-23-15 AT 04:43PM (MST)[p]A perfect wild game dinner would be a huge bowl of hot boiled crayfish, a cup of hot butter, 2 cobs of boiled young tender corn, boiled baby red potatoes in a cream sauce with fresh young peas, and a sweet moist cold-slaw with fresh raisins, hot homemade bread, and a large jug of ice cold root beer. A big slice of warm apple/raisin pie topped with scoop of vanilla ice cream.

Can't do just one, but all have a few common criteria, regardless of the species.

It has to be naturally moist, I absolutely hate dry meat . Secondly I can't meat be ti wild meat, beef or pork, where they cook all the moisture out a piece of meat, crumble it up and mix it with a nasty soup sauce and call it bar-be-que roast or pulled pork. Makes me gage!

It has to have flavor, the older I get the more bland and boring everything tastes, so I'm all about flavor and fat carries a lot of flavor.

Boiled, young tender corn on the cob, with almost any meal.

White rice or fried potatoes.

Raw cauliflower, young carrots, ice berg lettuce, sweet onions, tomatoes, celery, green peppers, water chestnuts, cabbage, often in company with some kind of dip or sauce like mayo etc.

Shrimp, lobster, crab, crayfish, bison, moose, antelope, ruff or blue grouse are my favorite wild game meats. (Mule deer, elk, pheasants, duck, and geese are way down the list of favorite meats for me.)

Too many are late summer, early fall meals, wish had some right now.

DC

LAST EDITED ON Mar-23-15 AT 04:53PM (MST)[p]One more, I forgot another favorite, and I'll have to recant my comment of deer being way down the list.

Another wildly favorite is:

Thin sliced floured deer liver, fried slowly over a bed of bacon strips, saut?ed with fried onion and fried mushrooms. Pan fried potatoes. Salt and pepper. Ketchup.

Eaten best before the heat has gone out of the deer carcass, cooked in a cast iron frying pan, over a open fire, at 10,000 feet, followed by a long afternoon nap in the shade of quaking aspen grove, next to a 200 acre mountain grass meadow with a 6 foot wide creek running down the middle of it. Throw in a bull elk bugle or six.

DC

Antelope chislic. Tossed in an egg wash then thrown in a garlic, pepper, and kosher salt seasoned flour mix followed by being fried up to medium rare in some hot oil. Next we'll cube up some acorn squash and fry it in butter then top the finished squash with brown sugar and a hand fill of baby marshmellows. As for dessert, I'd want some fried apples in a brown sugar glaze sauce. Chase this all down with a few glasses of whole milk.

Kind of calorie heavy but oh so good... :)

"Courage is being scared to death but
saddling up anyway."

Pile of smoked specks (white front geese)fried taters ..next to pile of fried Ab's..corn on cobb with ice cold beer.. (pale ale).
Jester

Im with Jester!

Hard to beat Abalone! And I love waterfowl. I would rather have mule deer steaks than elk or whitetail or blacktail.

Fried potatoes and corn on the cob with deer steaks, wild rice and gravy with the waterfowl.

Bill

People who work for a living are quickly being
overwhelmed by people who vote for a living.

Chicken fried backstrap

Or Speckled Trout/Redfish fried in cornmeal

With potatoes thinly sliced and fried with some hushpuppies.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-23-15 AT 08:33PM (MST)[p]A nice easy meal is elk round steaks in a crock pot or a crock pot that can go in the oven and add parsley and some steak seasoning with couple cans of cream of mushroom cooked on low. YUMMY

Just hd a great Elk steak med. rare w/tossed salad and mixed with Dorothy Lynch's dressing and a slice of Wheat French Bread and washed down with a glass of warm water. I know you saying WATER but read up on this and you see why.

Tomorrow night it wll be Antelope meat in the sauce over Spagetti w/ brown french bread and warm water...LOL

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

Fresh dug Razor clams, dipped in egg wash and saltine cracker crumbs, fried in hot peanut oil until golden brown. A tossed green salad and San Francisco Sourdough French bread buttered and toasted under the broiler.

Eel

It's written in the good Book that we'll never be asked to take more than we can. Sounds like a good plan, so bring it on!

Walleye filets dipped in egg then rolled in shore lunch. Fry that baby in hot peanut oil on a coleman stove next to raw fried potatoes on a Canadian lake island point with a little breeze and no mosquitoes or black flies, Campfire and a cold one.

My favorite wild meat is grilled antelope steaks medium rare. The best dinner that I've had from seafood that I have taken was up at Puget Sound when we had Crab, steamed clams, fried oysters and fried flounder.

driftersifter, I've been wanting to try that meal for the last few years. If it's not a highly protected family treasure, what Canadian lake would you recommend.

We've been looking at the Church Hill River system north of Lake La Ronge, Saskatchewan.

DC

I'm with Eel, grilled backstrap wtih all the fixins! Man what a meal. I believe there may be a package or two left in the freezer, think I'll go look.

Dungeness Crab is #1 for me.

Everything else is a distant 2nd, 3rd,...

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Tough to beat Dungeness crab Joey!

We made a Crab Cioppino a couple weeks back with fresh crab, redtail perch, shrimp and clams! With fresh French bread on the side. One of my top five for sure!

Bill

I own cabin with my brother on the woman river system in Ontario. I spend 30 days a year up there. I love fishing as much as hunting divided loyalties you might say, I own nine boats for fishing.

huntindad4, the redtail perch are running pretty good right now. I went to Stone Lagoon Sunday with a couple friends to fish the ocean. We got about 20 nice big ones. They have a nice sweet taste to them and remind me of sole.

Eel

Mountain Quail back in the old country-had to ground sluice a bunch to make a meal...Elk out here in Wyoming..ran thru cube staker a couple of times and tender as veal cutlets...no matter what type of critter you kill...

Yeah Eel, we've been hitting the perch pretty hard for a month or so. Getting kinda tired of them, fish tacos, fried fish etc. etc. haha.

They do taste a lot like sole with maybe a bit firmer texture.

We have been catching a pretty big grade of fish as well, quite a few over 15" long and I think two over 16".

Bill

Mesquite marinated black tail back strap grilled med rare with fresh caught garlic and butter grilled Halibut. White corn on the cob with spicy fries! Diet Pepsi and blackberry pie for desert.

Hard to beat an elk backstrap steak w/olive oil and salt and pepper, grilled with chilis/veggies,maybe some corn on the cobb grilled too....lemon merangue pie.........

New one is elk roast with Black Cherry reduction sauce. marinated in red wine,salt/pepper,sage, Juniper berries and thyme. Marinade over night,remove meat and drain/reserve marinade. Put roast in oven surrounded by sliced shallots @ 450 to start then 350 til 160 deg.Time varies with wt.
Also roast root veggies rolled in olive oil,salt pepper,rosemary sprigs in same oven.
When Roast is near done,remove from oven and place on serving tray covered in foil to rest.
Take marinade and pour in roasting pan and get all the drippings out. Put wine marinade mix in sauce pan with shallot drippings and boil down to get it reduced. When it gets going good add 1/4 cup of Black Cherry jam or preserves.I like preserves with fruit. Reduce to almost black purple syrup. Slice roast and cover in reduction sauce,golden roasted root veggies and Brussel sprouts are great with it.
Pear tart for dessert.
Yumm!!

Poached venison...

2311idiot.jpg

Dall sheep on a willow stick over campfire coals and a big cup of cowboy coffee.....shared with a family member, of course. NOTHING is better. End of story.

I've been lucky to enjoy this 3 different times over my lifetime.

On a daily basis, I'll take deer or pronghorn over elk all day long. Same for the wife. (but I'll never turn my nose up at elk meat)

Zeke

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom