Fathers Day Gril

400bull

Very Active Member
I was told this morning by my wife that we are going to have a BBQ at the house this weekend with the whole family. Not too surprising because we usually get together over Fathers Day weekend as a family for a BBQ anyway. But what was surprising was when she told me that we will be doing the cooking over a new grill instead of the 20 year old one that we have been using. I was like great my sweetie bought me a new grill for Father Day. Not really she just gave me permission to purchase a new grill. I have not even looked at grills lately to know what is available. For all you grill experts out there any suggestions on what grill I should get or what features I should/should not look into? We?re fine with spending a little money on the grill if it's needed to get one that will last. We have caped the price at $800.00.

400bull

I really like the Weber line of grills. There are lots of options available.

Hawkeye

Browning A-Bolt 300 Win Mag
Winchester Apex .50 Cal
Mathews Drenalin LD

I find myself going back to charcoal more and more...It just produces better tasting BBQ... Some people including me abandoned charcoal because of the quickness and ease of gas...BUT once you learn how to start up your coals gas really is not that much quicker...These Weber one touch systems have a gas starter to ignite the coals..pretty slick...

Here's is a great tip about charcoal...never use lighting fluid to start it ...It doesnt all burn away and you can taste it in the meat...Hard to believe but true...

http://www.weber.com/explore//Grill_details.aspx?glid=4&mid=25

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-17-10 AT 01:49PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jun-17-10 AT 01:47?PM (MST)

Heartshot,

Could you please explain why you would recommend a grill with 4-5 burns? Are any of the burns you're referancing the side burns?

Bucksnort,

I've thought about getting a charcoal Grill and may even end up getting one. I must admit that I enjoy the easy of the LP grills. One way that I have found to get the flavor of a charcoal grill out of a LP grill is to soak wood chips in water for about 30 minutes, wrap the wood chips in tinfoil, poke holes on one side of the tinfoil, then place wood chips in grill next to the burns (one on each side of the grill works great).

400bull

LAST EDITED ON Jun-17-10 AT 02:17PM (MST)[p]Check out the CharGriller, online or you can get one at Lowes. Has two separate grills, one charcoal and one gas. It also has a burner. If you want, you can also buy a Texas style smoker (thats what they call it) that bolts to the charcoal side. $300 for the grill, $70 more for the smoker. I love mine!

I have a big grill at home. But when I go to the park,camping or hunting . I use my Camp Chef triple burner. You can get the BBQ top and griddles are for two or three burner. Depends how big you think you need. When there have been fire restrictions I use the warm setting and put my dutch ovens on it.
Not sure what direction you are going but theres my 2 cents.

>LAST EDITED ON Jun-17-10
>AT 02:17?PM (MST)

>
>Check out the CharGriller, online or
>you can get one at
>Lowes. Has two separate grills,
>one charcoal and one gas.
>It also has a burner.
>If you want, you can
>also buy a Texas style
>smoker (thats what they call
>it) that bolts to the
>charcoal side. $300 for the
>grill, $70 more for the
>smoker. I love mine!
>

Looks pretty slick!!
http://www.tractorsupply.com/lawn-g...and-charcoal-grill-with-side-fire-box-4449832

One without the gas...
http://www.tractorsupply.com/char-griller-reg-outlaw-grill-and-smoker-1016575

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

For my 20th wedding anniversary, ten years ago, I got a Ducane gas BBQ, my first gas unit. I am spoiled now, as I was used to my old Weber kettle and having to make a fire then wait for 20-30 till the coals got just right...

Stop Global Whining

Weber grills are top notch. Me and my dad both have one and we use the heck out of them. they cook the food very consistently.

seriously, traeger is the only way to grill. Once you get one you will never go back to the stuff you used to use!!!!!!!

Just got back from Costco , There where some nice grills on sale. One was a jennair i think it was 1649.00

You boys need to take your skirts off, buy some beer, slap the old lady on the asss and start cooking with charcoal. ..

I've used a lot of grills but the one I love the most is the Traeger pellet grill. Works as a grill, oven, smoker, or anything in between. When the weather is warm I cook on it at least once a week and usually more. Great for burgers, roasts, turkeys, ribs, jerky, and anything in a baking dish you want a little smoke flavor with.

Made the best rack of ribs I've eaten last week.

5178grill.jpg

4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

Plus one for the Chargriller! Got mine last year for Father's Day. It was purchased at the Reno Lowes. The best of both worlds! I have used it extensively year round for the past year. In the winter I had it set up in the barn out of the weather. The propane side has three burners and a side burner. All have automatic igniters. The grills are ceramic coated and easy to clean. I use the propane side more than the charcoal side, just because it is fast and convenient. The charcoal side is easily adjustable. There have been times that we fire up both sides when we are grill'n for a large number of people. I plan on getting the smoker attachment in the future. This is a quality product and a lot of bang for the buck!

Norkal

INVEST IN LEAD FOR THE TIMES AHEAD!

Thanks for all the suggestions. The Traeger grill looks like it would be a whole new experience cooking with. I believe I am going to go with the Weber Genesis series of BBQ grills. Now I need to decide if I should pay the extra cash for the side burner or not. Would you recommend getting the side burner or is just a waist of cash?

400bull

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom