Father/Child Hunting Advice

Wiszard

Long Time Member
I have an 11 year old daughter and I really want her to hunt. Up until about a year ago she was all for it. Lately, she doesnt show the interest to go hunting. I think she'd been stringing me along and lying to me about wanting to hunt so she wouldn't hurt my feelings all this time! Here is my plan....she turns 12 May 27th...already has passed hunter safety. I'm thinking to take her on a pig hunt a week or so after she turns 12. I'd go with an outfitter so the odds of her shooting and harvesting would be good. I want her to experience the hunt and harvest to really see if she likes it or not. I think she is thinking about the "killing" of the animal and how it may affect her. Is this the wrong way to go about this? Or should I wait until she's a little older/mature and hopefully shows more interest in hunting? Keep in mind...I really want her to be be my Dads and my hunting partner! Any advice would be great.

Steve

Steve, you are at a tough crossroad right now.

The simple answer is to wait until she genuinely wants to go.

If you pressure her into hunting and she really dosen't like it, she will always hold you responsible for the "bad experience".

This ain't little league baseball.

For a lot of kids, actually killing something is very negative. But if you let her make the choice on her own, she won't get all traumatized about daddy forcing her to do something she didn't want to do.

Young minds can twist things around. She may also have some peer pressure issues to deal with over the hunting thing.

Give her time, include her when she is showing interest, but you can't force growth in any direction. You could regret it forever.

I agree with Nickman.

At that age you do not want to force her into somthing she is not comfortable with.

I would say wait a bit and maybe start her on some smaller animals like upland game.

Just my thought. Jason.

I had a 12 year old daughter at one time. It seems like yesterday but in reality she is in her mid 30s now. I had the same plans as you did. When she was young I took her fishing and she loved that, and we had some really fun times together one on one. Looking back I realize that the one on one was more important than actually fishing. When she finally was old enough to catch her first fish, the soft heart in her came out and she said "Awe Dad let it go!" And so we did. Right then I knew something wasn't right, LOL.

She too passed her hunter safety class. She was the only girl in the class and the only one who scored 100% on the final test. She never showed any interest in actually going hunting after that and I never forced her. I never indicated in any way that I was disappointed in her, and I wasn't.

I say let her decide naturally, but don't neglect the all important one on one time. You and her both will treasure the memories. After all isn't that the whole idea?

Good luck Wiz!

Eel

Steve,

I have daughters 2 of my own and 2 step daughters. I think your first clue is she is 11 years old. Girls is funny when they get close to them dreaded teenage years and it's also a hard time for them. Lot's of changes in their lives and it's also a little hard on Dads when they get older and it's not cool to do things with you, peer pressures, boys, etc.

I coached girls fastpitch softball (travel ball) over a 14 year span when our 3 of our daughters played and while it took almost all of my free time, but I feel it was time well spent with them during their 11 - 17 teenage years and would do it again in a heat beat. My oldest daughter has been hinting about working / teaching with my grand daughter softball techniques / basics, This could mean me resuming my coaching career.. My wife would probably shoot me if I get back in to that again..

By the way not a single one of them want anything to do with hunting but two of them do enjoy fishing with me so I am happy for that.

I never pushed them to do anything they did not want to do except for softball as travel softball was a commitment for them, myself and the rest of the family and I told them if you commit to it than you play to the end of the season as they were part of a team and at that level you rely on each one of them on your team so I wouldn't push your daughter to hunt if she doesn't show a genuine interest.

If she does have a interest I would say absolutely take her on a guided pig hunt so she has a good chance of bagging a pig.
I think you would want the hunt to be a positive results oriented experiance. Nothing worse than boredom for a new to hunting kid when things get slow during a hunt.

You might also take her out to shoot ground squirrels so she can get used to the shooting something other than paper targets.

Well that's my two cents worth.. Good luck Steve.

Jim

I don't have any father/daughter experience on this yet, my daughter is 4

My little sister was alot like Eels daughter. My dad took her on a depradation cow hunt when she was 14 or so and she shot her first big game animal. After that she has never been into killing the animal but because of all fauther/daughter/brother time spent in the outdoors she will still go with us whenever possible because the loves the outdoors. She will still volunteer to clean fish/deer/elk if given the chance and loves target practicing and camping.

?Here?s to the hero's that Git-R-Done!!?

Thanks for the advice guys. I know I shouldn't forcer her to do anything that would steer her away from hunting. I will make it her choice but it kills me because I've been planning on her being my hunting partner for 11 3/4 years now!! I know that I if I heavily persuade her to hunt now, it may kill any chance of her hunting later in life. I appreciate all of your words. Take care.

Jim- Softball is just getting underway for us this year. I coach and I can't wait. My daughters play rec and then play fall-ball as well. Two years ago, my now 11 year old played on a team that went to Nationals in Las Cruces, NM. That was a blast. Softball is such a wholesome game in my opinion and for a man to say he loves softball is kinda weird, but I do. You should get back into coaching if that is what you desire. Your wife will understand!! Good luck.

Steve

Steve, My daughter is 12. She has been around hunting her whole life, she's seen the critters I bring home, and she loves to fish. I've never pressured her to hunt, only asked if there was interest to. Her responce was generally "I don't know". I left it at that and told her to figure it out on her own. I took her out on a couple morning deer hunts this past fall. While we didn't connect on a deer, she never got bored and enjoyed being out, just the two of us. A couple of days ago she asked if I'd teach her how to shoot! One step at a time I guess. mtmuley

I've had several daughters. It does seem to be true that they change in regards to hunting....somewhere about the time they "discover" boys. I live in Idaho, so the pressure they get at school isn't as bad as for those of you in other places, but it is a factor........killing bambi and such.

My advice is to get her out and have an enjoyable/successful time. My youngest did that.......I didn't get her to go again for 7 or 8 years. She's now married and has "returned". She hunts every year and is quite enthusiastic. The girls who "never" came back (also grown) are gun and hunter friendly; their husbands OWE me a lot. One of them has become a competetive target shooter (not hunting). I do not think they would be as accepting of hunting, guns and all that is associated, if they had not been exposed young.

Good luck.

Within the shadows, go quietly.

>Jim- Softball is just getting underway
>for us this year. I
>coach and I can't wait.
>My daughters play rec and
>then play fall-ball as well.
>Two years ago, my now
>11 year old played on
>a team that went to
>Nationals in Las Cruces, NM.
>That was a blast. Softball
>is such a wholesome game
>in my opinion and for
>a man to say he
>loves softball is kinda weird,
>but I do. You should
>get back into coaching if
>that is what you desire.
>Your wife will understand!! Good
>luck.
>
>Steve

Steve,

I also love the game and there is much much more to it than many people think. Down here in SoCa softball is big and of course lots of girls want to play at the college level which is near impossible for an average travel ball player but there are always a few girls that have all the right stuff, ability, speed, power, attitude, passion for the game, and a true desire to exceed.

As far as my grandaughter... well it's not likely she would be able to play on a competitive travel ball team. She pretty laid back but she will do fine in rec ball. She is more of a kid that just wants to play fun softball. I doubt I'll coach anymore as travel teams play almost all year with VERY few weekends off. You host one week and travel the next all over the place and than there are the tournaments. Nope.. no more for this old man. It's great to have weekends again to fish, hunt, work on the house, and all that other stuff normal people do. Glad to see your coaching.. It's a great thing to do with your kids and you and them will never forget it.

Jim

I have an 11 yr old daughter, signed her up for hunters ed last year hoping she would be interested, she has fished with me for years and even come on a few day hunting trips with me (none successful), I even became a hunters ed instructor so I could be in the class with her. Not only did she lose interest in the class but her school work was suffering during that time and she eventually quit the HE class. I decided I wouldnt push her and she hasnt shown any further interest in it but thats fine with me, she has to be her own person and I still love that little girl.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-19-09 AT 09:59AM (MST)[p]Steve & Jim, My wife killed her first pig at 12. She also played softball.She was never against hunting but when you play travel ball and put in the effort required to go to colledge there's not much time left for hunting and fishing.She went on to a full scholarship at CSU Bakersfield, played 4 years there, and came home to CSU Stanislaus for 1 year to finish. She was,nt able to pick up a rifle pretty much untill softball was over. Any free time she had was needed just to relax, spend time with family, or spend time with all the friends back home. Now she gives pitching and hitting lessons full time with weekends off and we have been able to do quite a bit of hunting the last few years. She's had numerous offers to coach, but she'll never give up her weekends again.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

LAST EDITED ON Jan-19-09 AT 08:06PM (MST)[p]Thanks for the replies guys. I will not pressure her to hunt. She'll get there at her own pace. I just hope she comes around and realizes just what it means to us as hunters. The satisfaction one gets from hunting is pretty big. I'm hoping I'll be able to share that along side of her one day. Thanks again.

Steve

When my daughter was 12 I picked her up from school and took her on a quick antelope hunt and she shot her first buck. She loved it but then took to other things and hunting hasnt been high on her priority list for awhile so I left her alone about it. Shes now almost 17 and asked the other day if we could go antelope hunting again and Im so excited to take her again !!!

Steve,

I've taken quite a few kids on their first hunts and have found that nothing matters more than making it fun for them. I could honestly care less if they get anything or not, as long as they see some wildlife and have a good time.

I'd suggest you take her spring turkey hunting. The weather is usually pretty nice, the flowers are blooming, and when the toms are gobbling it is very exciting whether she gets a bird or not.

Another thing to consider is that for some kids, it is easier to shoot a bird than a mammal as they don't have the same sense of killing something 'with big brown eyes'.

Focus on making it fun for her, and make any kill secondary. If I'm not mistaken, you live in California. If so, PM me as I'd like to talk to you more about this. Perhaps I can help you out.

I am now 62 yrs. old and mule deer hunting, and all that goes along with it is my #1 passion. It all started for me at around ten years old, when my father would make a big deal of the hunt and taking me along. I can still hear his whisper in my ear at 4:30am, getting up to the smell and sound of coffee perking, a big breakfast already cooking, helping to pack the days lunch, gathering gear. I even remember him really involving me in the planning, such as wher should we go that day (whether he already had a spot planned or not, seemed like he even broke out his topo maps most of the time). Then, when we were afield, filling me full of stories about "Big Buck Canyon", "Lion Rock",etc.I even packed a small knapsack with our lunches, little extra ropes, survival or small first aid pack etc. At times and most likely very short periods, he would even let me pack the rifle. Sometimes, he would lose patience with the thousand question-barrages, and dawdling as we worked our way afield, but his example and the way I was treated made it a very positive experience, made me want to do it more and more.
I have raised 4 children, and although they are presently involved in their own passions and other things. They know what Dad likes to do most. Another thing I did with my own children was to sit through their Hunter Safety Class with each of them, helped them select the right clothing to wear while afield, explained everything I could and do all that I could to make it a positive experience for us. I only had one daughter, and after the first deer hunt, she got pretty involved in school and other activities, but I still remember everything leading up to that one year and all the neat things that happened.Hope you can the same for your children.

I took my daughter on a late doe hunt at 14. She made a not so good shot. The deer cried. She bawled for a month. I finished the deer off for her. She wouldn't hunt for years. She married a hunter and later started hunting on her own. At one point I didn't think she would ever hunt. Now she is full fledged. We hunt together now and have great times.
Start her out easy let her decide. Shooting sports are great starters.

Rutnbuck

I have taken eight young boys for there first elk. Six first deer & two bear. My 16 yr old daughter first deer at twelve & a couple since. She is also a softball girl, being scouted by multiple schools & on a visit at Sanoma St. this weekend. I have also wrecked some of the early kids by making success to much of a priority. Blinding snow, bellow zero temps, ten mile hikes, & to much pressure to succeed are good ways to create a bad experience. The kids that are hungry to hunt you can't go wrong with. The kids that aren't sure do not need success on a hunt & may not even want to succeed at first. The stories I hear these kids repeating are of toasting a sandwich over a fire, watching coyote's playing in the field, rolling large boulders down ridges.
The girls aren't much different, let her pick flowers onthe walk backto the truck to take home to mom, If no flowers find a special rock. Always stop for a treat on the way home, a treat reserved special for after the hunt (this is big with the girls), introduce her to women in your comunity that hunt.
Make it fun for her to shoot in a non hunting enviroment w/ friends.
If you want to increase your odds in succeding, make it fun for her & if your lucky one day she will ask, dad when are we going to see a deer.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom