Family Hunting

kawboy

Very Active Member
I have a sister-in-law. . . She assumes I will take her son out hunting with no effort on their part. She has not even asked if I would take him, just told me he would have a gun this year and to plan on him coming along.
I am more than happy to take my nephew hunting. I would really like to get a kid excited about hunting. He is only 16 years old and has the desire.
I told him to practice every chance he gets, and that before I would take him hunting I was going to take him shooting before the hunt started and make sure he was accurate enough. and if he couldnt hold a group I wont take him out.
Am I being to stern? I want to teach this kid good ethics before he even steps foot in the hills. What else can I do to teach him the importance of a well placed shot?

I'll tell you who it was . . . it was that D@MN Sasquatch!

Its great to see your willingness to take this young man out hunting.

It sounds like he may have little experience with a rifle so I would definately take the time to teach him gun safety and proper shooting methods a.s.a.p. This way he will be comfortable and have a good idea of what he's doing when the hunt comes along. I wouldn't wait and take him out just before it starts. Good luck!

If the kid has shown an interest, and no parents to take him, you probably should have taken him along on some of your trips already. Has he taken a Hunter Safety course? That's a must. Then take him rabbit hunting to determine his maturity level in handling a gun. It's a lot like taking a dog out pheasant hunting. Some people keep a dog locked up all year long and then take them out opening morning and expect them to do a great job. I remember hearing in the distance almost every opening, "Duke! Get Back Here! Duke! Duke! Duke! You SOB! BOOM! Yipe! Yipe! Yipe! It takes time to train a dog and a kid. Muscle memory is more important than lecture.

Take him to the local shooting range.
Take him ground squirrel shooting.
Take him varmint, coyote hunting.
Take him and see if you can be friends!

Joey

I did take him out this year for the opener of archery season.
I plan on taking him out coyote hunting with his new rifle as well. My biggest problem is I am not going to be able to take him out as much as I would like to. I am trying to make sure he is willing to make effort on his own. He is young enough I hope he will practice a lot with his bow so I can take him hunting every opportunity that presents itself.
He did suprise me while hunting, I walked extra far that day to make sure he was willing to work for an animal. We put in a pretty rough 6 or 7 miles.
I dont think he has taken hunters safety, I will make sure he gets on that now so he can make the application deadline.

I also want to read him the story of the Red Hen. I will make sure he knows that a lack of effort on his part when it comes to preparation, (scouting and shooting) will lead to no hunting time.
It will be a blast teaching him to hunt, I am very excited for the opportunity, I hope I can teach him the right way.

your nephew is already 16 and you've yet to take him hunting/shooting? Why should your sister in law have to be the one to tell you? Shoulda manned up and got the kid in the woods long ago.

Team_UNC

Unc
I married into the family, have not known them for that long, I don't really get along with my sister in law, so have not had much opportunity to hang out with the kids. He just recently took interest in something other than video games.

Tell the Sister-in-law he has to be able to practice and she will have to step and do some of it.
At 16 year he will want to start hunting with his buddys and that could be a good or bad things depends on how they was taught. I know it will work out good for it will be a pain for awhile but in the end you will be the one that gets the joy and pleasure of seeing a lot of first. 1st deer 1st elk ect

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Kawboy
Big thumbs up for making the effort to get a youngster involved in the outdoors . I know in my case I learned a lot about hunting and the great outdoors from Uncles and other family members . I'm sure as a pup , I wasn't appreciative as I should have been . Thinking back on it now , I realize I owe a lot to those people who took a minute and explained things to me in a manner that a kid could understand .

Hopefully you can teach and help him understand respect for animals . In my mind that goes hand and hand with the well placed shot , and not taking a questionable shot .

I'm the uncle that hunts now , and my brothers have no interest in hunting . My neices and nephews are still a bit young , but I get a huge kick out of talking about hunting with my nephews . I can't wait for the day when I can actually get them out in the field .

I would stress the safety issues before anything else.

As far a LEARNING to actually hit something, that comes from the desire to quit missing....like anything else that requires practice. If he actually has the desire to shoot/hunt, he will practice. Failure sucks, in any venue,

"....you'll shoot your eye out kid!"

Hunter safety class is a great start. Telling him to practice a lot is also important but how do you know he is learning to shoot the right way? Ask any firearms instructor-teaching is easy but unteaching can take forever. You may be the best shot in the world but can you TEACH? Be honest with yourself. It might take someone from a local range to teach him.

Its great to set a standard of accuracy but don't pressure him before the hunt. It can be too easy to say to heck with it if he knows there is a "test" coming. It also wouldn't be fair to give him heck for shooting a 6 inch group only to find out that a 6 inch group is the best his equipment can do!

Be careful about pushing too much during the hunt. Hiking 6-7 miles.to test his dedication? What if he had stopped at 5 with blisters on his feet? Does that mean he can never be a hunter? You may have to change YOUR hunting style to match what he can and/or wants to do. That's a part of teaching hunting.

I can't wait to take my sons hunting but at 5 and 23 months old it will be some time. I'm lucky that I am home all the time. I take the oldest on hikes into the woods all the time to look at tracks, poop, and anything else he wants to stop to see!! I also know when they start hunting MY hunting will become secondary. Success will be THEM having fun even if no tags are filled. I have a 22 year old daughter who started taking deer and bear at age 10 (legal age). She no longer hunts and lives a long ways away but maybe someday she will have her own family and hunting will be a part of it.

In a nutshell- take the pressure off life is stressful for kids today. Let him help plan all parts of the hunt from what, when, and where. .

LAST EDITED ON Dec-27-10 AT 12:40PM (MST)[p]I know why he wants to hunt with you! You showed him his first beaver!

I remember seeing my first beaver like it was yesterday.

I'll let you tell the story.

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

That was funny! He still has no idea why I was laughing at him. When he is older I will explain it

When I had him out archery hunting last year we were heading down off the hill. I saw a few beaver ponds and there was the beaver swimming in the middle of it. I pulled over so he could see the beaver, his eyes lit up and in the most innocent voice said, "Wow Awesome, I've never seen a Beaver before!" I started laughing to myself, I didn't want to be the uncle that corrupts him so I just smiled to myself and drove off.
Gotta love innocent teenagers

Lol! That is to funny. I give you props for your willingness to take him out. Hopefully he will have a tight group so he can shoot a buck this next year with you.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom