False? Wait 30 min after shot

gznokes

Very Active Member
My dad used to joke and say the best hunters smoked cigarettes because after the shot, they'd smoke a couple cigarettes before trying to recover the animal. I hear this all the time--"It's best to wait at least 30 min after the shot for the animal to lay down, stiffen up, and die".

I was reading John Jeanneney's book, Dead On, and he claims waiting after the shot is NOT a good idea. The following ideas on this topic really made sense, so I thought I'd see if anyone wanted to chime in with their own observations/opinions.

1. An animal hit by a bullet will go into shock. The advise for humans who have sustained a traumatic injury is to lay down to deal with shock because shock is typically associated with a feeling of drowsiness and weakness. Lying down allows the injured person to start to recover. Why do you want to allow the animal to lay down and try to recover? Better to cautiously but promplty approach for a finishing shot.
2. If a deer doesn't go right down after the shot, you don't want the deer to lay down and slow down its circulation. Better is that it keeps moving, increases its heart rate and circulation, flushes blood clots, and thus increases blood loss.
He cites a study of 1100 hunters whose report indicate deer usually don't lie down in the first 200 yards and that if they die are more likely to die in stride than in their bed.
3. Leg and shoulder hit deer will seldom bleed to death unless pushed.

An exception he says is if the deer is gut shot because the wounds often don't bleed a lot--even if the deer is pushed. In this case he recommends a tracking dog or being prepared for a long difficult track.

A lot of good points. I think the "leaving it" approach comes from people who are hunting small tracks of private land. They are afraid they will push the animal onto someone else's property. I hate it when they say, "we better back out until tomorrow". The shows do that so they will have good light. I know how fast a critter puffs up. It doesn't take long. It might not affect the meat as bad as I think it might, but it sure affects my desire to eat it. I always give an animal a few minutes, but unless I flat out can't find it and have run out of sign, I refuse to wait until "tomorrow".

LAST EDITED ON Jul-29-11 AT 06:38PM (MST)[p]Funny how different strokes for different folks but I don't buy hardly any of those 3 scenarios.

If i stone a buck, i go get him.

If i hit him hard and see where he went but can't quite see him, i go get him.

If believe i made a good shot but he ran off to i don't know where. i'll give him a half hour or so to stiffin up, bleed out...

If i'm not sure of my shot, i'll give him at least 1/2 hour for same reason. I want my bucks to lay down, a shoulder shot buck will at times bleed out, and the last things i want is for a hit buck to stay on his feet, jump him back up after he had been down, and then put more distance between him and me.

All this provided i'm the only one around hunting that buck. War zones, not included!

Joey

LAST EDITED ON Jul-29-11 AT 06:52PM (MST)[p]I agree with Sage. If you fold 'em or I know beyond a doubt it was a hard hit and I see the legs wobble as he is going in the timber, why wait?

In my opinion, if there is any doubt and you KNOW you got the hit but say they bail out of sight, I would let them be. Like I say, I would have to know I got a good shot.

I can tell you it never ceases to amaze me with elk. With a wounded elk you are best giving him some time. If he has any gas in the tank and a bit of adrenalin he will use it to go for miles if you are Ramboing him after the shot.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-29-11 AT 06:45PM (MST)[p]I guess it's up to the individual and the circumstances and animal involved. I've been very lucky over all my years and of over 100 animals shot have had only one go even 50 yards before going down for the count and I hope it stays that way.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-29-11 AT 08:13PM (MST)[p]seems to me in my expericence with myself and others getting there hydrenline going just pushes them farther and they run and run and run.

i have had good luck with waiting a bit and have had very bad luck by just chasing them down asap.

I have read similar things in the past. I usually see them fall from where I am standing when I take the shot. I think it all depends on your shot and how confident you are the deer is down, and where it will go if you bump it more. Interesting read, thanks for posting.

I helped out on a cow elk hunt last year for a friend of a friend. It was near sunset when he got a shot, about 150 yards, and hit the elk just in front of the femur bone on both back legs, hitting the artery. In the binoculars, and the way that she fell, I thought for sure it was a good chest shot. The elk all took off about 50 yards, then they went left, and she bailed right, into a patch of quakies. We gave her a few minutes to die, and went in after her. She got up and took off. We ended up literally chasing her down and keeping her up and moving until we caught up to her, and she bled out through that wound. Every time that she would bed down, we would spook her up again, and have no blood for a while until the clot busted loose.

If I know I hit an animal in the leg, I will do everything I can to keep it moving.

Another reason I like to leave an animal set for a while, is from an elk I shot in 2009. About 2 hours before sunset, I shot a cow. Had a good blood trail running down her front leg that I could see. She went with the rest of the herd, jumped a fence, and went left into a patch of timber, while the rest of the herd went right. My dad showed up about 10 minutes after the shot, we found the blood, and began trailing. We picked up some spotty (obviously lung) blood, and I saw where she went into the timber. I went around, and came in from below there just in time to see her take off and make a left hand turn in the timber. I found where she layed down, and found a huge pool of bubbly blood. After she got up and ran, I found no blood. I just had the last point that I saw her, so I took the most likely route I could think of and found her about 200 yards on the other side of a little meadow, just inside some aspens. There was not a drop of blood between where she layed down, and where she literally tipped over mid stride. I found the bullet on the opposite shoulder just under the hide, perfect quartering away lung shot.

I have learned my lesson. If I am sure of the hit being in the lungs/heart, I will give it time to die. If I know its a leg shot, I will keep it moving. If I see it fall, I will go get it. If I can still see it standing, I will shoot until it falls or goes out of sight.

Later,

Marcial

Rifle hunting:recover immediately
Archery:If you suspect you had poor arrow placement wait a while,if you have a solid hit and you find blood I move in immediately.

Pretty much what Sage said......except I have the HARDEST time waiting; time drags SO slowly!

Within the shadows, go quietly.

"and hit the elk just in front of the femur bone on both back legs, hitting the artery... We gave her a few minutes to die, and went in after her. She got up and took off. We ended up literally chasing her down and keeping her up and moving until we caught up to her, and she bled out through that wound."

I'm not arguing with your tactics, but if the femoral artery was compromised, I'd be surprised if she'd have lasted a minute. You no doubt did right by her to get it done more quickly.

I'd say the tactics for a elk and a deer may be different. I'm very cautious with a bow hit elk, and am willing to push a deer a bit harder.

I was helping a buddy on a bow hunt and he had a bull that was hit good quatering away, so we gave it 30+min and started tracking it. After about an 90 mins we spotted the bull sneaking out of the timber. There was good dark blood in his bed, and no blood on his trail going out. The bull bedded down again and we managed to find the bed with a little spot of blood in it. 3 days of looking for that bull and we never found him. I dont know that pushing was the right thing to do. He may have died if we would have given him a few hours before tracking him.

Maybe in the open country I would be willing to push a elk more just because I might have a better chance of watching where they go.

I can see not waiting with a rifle where a quick follow up shot is not as difficult.

Bowhunting is a whole other thing. If the animal is spine shot or drops, of course walk up to it and start dressing it out. If it is chest hit give at least 30 minutes. If the hit is marginal, give it 1-4 hours. Far to many animals are "lost" each year by trailing them too early on marginal hits.

I have killed my share of animals on the bow hunt in 80+ degree weather and not lost an ounce of meat. Even when waiting to trail them.

Good luck on the hunts guy's. It is getting close!

I always try to keep an eye on the animal even if that means moving towards it. It's a good idea to never let it catch sight of you because animals have some crazy instincts that kick in once they associate a human with being shot. This year, I had my hands on both of my animals within 5 minutes. If you hit lung and heart, there is not much an animal can do. I like to at least get sight of the animal pretty quick. I've never had to use 2 bullets but if I did, I would want the second right away.

Archery is a different story and I wait for as long as I can manage to hold out. Opportunity for a second shot (if needed) is low. The longest I've waited for recovery in archery was 4 hours.

I don't have a science like the book lays out, just depends on the situation.

John Jeanneney is full of sshit...

99% of the animals I have killed with a rifle are DRT.. So I don't wait..

My archery kills are a different story I give them at least 30-45 minutes even if I double lunged them.. If I happened to gut shoot I may wait at least 4 hours or over night if shot in the evening..

I have gone blood trailing on several poor shot deer (archery) you can easily see what happens when they are being pushed.. You will find where they have laid down to die but got pushed cause the hunter didn't want to wait..

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

The book is called Dead On for a reason and John's advice is dead on!!!!!
I read the book 3 times before our 2010 season began then put his info to work every time I went out on a wounded animal and found his advice was DEAD ON!! He even took a call from me while I was on the Mtn and his advice greatly contributed to quickly tracking down a femur shot muley. A deer I would have left over night adding to a slow demise or possibly loosing the deer all together. I personally consider John to be one of best guy's for advice on wounded game tracking.

Justin Richins
R&K Hunting Company Inc.
www.thehuntingcompany.com

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom