"Facts Of Life"

slamdunk

Love him or hate him, he sure hits the nail on the head with this! Bill Gates recently gave a speech at a High School about 11 things they did not and will not learn in school. He talks about how feel-good, politically correct teachings created a generation of kids with no concept of reality.
This concept set them up for failure in the real world.

Rule 1 : Life is not fair - get used to it!

Rule 2 : The world won't care about your self-esteem. The world will expect you to accomplish something BEFORE you feel good about yourself.

Rule 3 : You will NOT make $60,000 a year right out of high school. You won't be a vice-president with a car phone until you earn both.

Rule 4 : If you think your teacher is tough, wait till you get a boss.

Rule 5 : Flipping burgers is not beneath your dignity. Your Grandparents had a different word for burger flipping: they called it opportunity.

Rule 6: If you mess up, it's not your parents' fault, so don't whine about your mistakes, learn from them.

Rule 7: Before you were born, your parents weren't as boring as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills, cleaning your clothes and listening to you talk about how cool you thought you were. So before you save the rain forest from the parasites of your parent's generation, try delousing the closet in your own room.

Rule 8: Your school may have done away with winners and losers, but life HAS NOT. In some schools, they have abolished failing grades and they'll give you as MANY TIMES as you want to get the right answer. This doesn't bear the slightest resemblance to ANYTHING in real life.

Rule 9: Life is not divided into semesters. You don't get summers off and very few employers are interested in helping you FIND YOURSELF. Do that on your own time.

Rule 10: Television is NOT real life. In real life people actually have to leave the coffee shop and go to jobs.

Rule 11: Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one.

48288e6577d023b6.jpg

My kid just came home with a 1.8 GPA when she swore that she was getting a 3.0!! This will go on her door for sure!

Steve

LAST EDITED ON Jun-19-08 AT 09:28PM (MST)[p]This is awesome advice I leared first hand before anyone told it to me. Good thing I was on the right track anyway. But I do remember hearing it a long long time ago so I did some quick research. Sorry to break it to you though - isn't Bill Gates:

http://www.snopes.com/language/document/liferule.asp

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

d13r
If he is a "fag", he's one of the most innovative, pioneering, ingenius, entrepreneurial "fags" in the world today.

I think he deserves a little more respect, than calling him a "fag", don't you?

No sensitivity here JB. But I gotta give it to ya, you really zinged Gates on that one!! Hilarious!!! Let me write that one down.

Back to the topic at hand....

Slamdunk
Great post. I fully agree with all those points, even if they aren't originally Bill Gates'.

Did you know kids can't play dodgeball in gym class anymore? They say if you "get out" it would be damaging to your self-esteem. What a bunch of crap!!

Bgblast-

"Did you know kids can't play dodgeball in gym class anymore? They say if you "get out" it would be damaging to your self-esteem. What a bunch of crap!!"

Are you serious???

48288e6577d023b6.jpg

slamdunk
Unfortunately, yes I'm dead serious. My mom is an elementary gym teacher in MO and the games/activities that she is limited to playing is ridiculous.

And whenever she can play a game similiar to dodgeball (for example "tag") no kid is ever "OUT". If you get tagged you are "ON BREAK" for 1-2 minutes, and you get to go back in.

I can't help but laugh when she tells me that stuff. I can't wait till one of those little snot-nosed kids gets fired from their first job, and then shows up a few days later from his "break"!!!!

I'm really hoping that this whole politically correct, self-esteem boosting BS is just a fad.

My Grandpa and his buddies all used to say, "I don't know what's wrong with kids these days." I used to think they were just being old guys; but now I agree with them!!!

Hell, i'm only 26, and these spoiled rotten little brats make me sick!!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom