Extreme Primitive Experience ... Your Thoughts?

Founder

Founder Since 1999
Question of the Day.......................

What's your thoughts on an extreme primitive hunt in a high quality unit? Primitive enough type hunt that success rate is very low to offer a large amount of opportunity. Maybe a longbow hunt with optics, rangefinders, two-way radios, ATV's, etc. not be allowed. Would that appeal to you?

Let's hear some thoughts.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
Will you LIKE MonsterMuleys.com on Facebook! I need a friend....

Yes!
It would be good! It would be exactly like when I started hunting. By-in-large the deer were pretty safe. LOL
Hunting with a true "stick and string" take some serious commitment and skill to succeed.
Zeke

I would really enjoy it ! One issue to consider is that some stick flippers have a hard enough time with modern equipment , let alone a true primitive bow . I would hate to see more deer/elk running around wounded .

LAST EDITED ON Feb-25-15 AT 01:20PM (MST)[p]That sounds like a blast to me. Can you make it happen Founder?

Hawkeye

D6 +1 on concerns RE lost, wounded game. It would be a bunch of fun when the game calmed down about 5 years after the rule took effect, assuming the primitive hunt was the only kind allowed in that unit. If it was just a primitive week among compound archery, muzzy, rifle seasons in the same unit, it would be more of an exercise in futility. You could go really primitive, w spear, atlatl or chasing them off a cliff...

LAST EDITED ON Feb-25-15 AT 12:26PM (MST)[p]Here's another point. Assuming you maintain the cap at 97,000 (or what ever it is set at) with extremely primitive weapons hunts, you could allow many more sportsmen to enter the field, each having a good experience, at least they could have the kind of experience that they "want" to have, good or otherwise.

As you draw hunters into these extremely primitive weapons hunts, it could, if managed accordingly, pull hunters away from other hunts, thereby reducing the total "hunter days in field" and a reduction in harvest on the rifle and muzzleloader hunts.

If you anticipate low harvest per hunter ratio on primitive hunts, a corresponding reduction of hunters on neighboring hunts, the experience would improve for all hunters. Less hunters in the field at one time, less harvest, higher buck doe ratios, older bucks. Extreme weapons hunters happy, regular archers happy, muzzleloaders happy, rifle hunters happy. 200 sportsmen still unhappy, because they prefer unhappy.

All the best, 100 folks, motivated and organized could make it happen, 10 folks..........nay. One guy........never! Been there done that.

DC

"200 guys will be unhappy because they prefer unhappy"

That's SOOOOOOOO true. Just read some of their asinine posts and hear them bicker and whine. (founder should give them an award)

Back on topic,
I think the wounding factor would be minimal since this hunt would attract only the most dedicated and romantic few.
Wounding will always be a small issue regardless of tool choice.

Zeke

Primitive hunt on the Henrys. No vehicles at all. Foot traffic only. No help from horses, goats etc. This would be a very very tough hunt. DWR would have to set up a boundary on the desert floor that you can't travel by vehicle any further.We would be on foot from there. Any Thoughts???

If We gonna do it Right!

It'll have to be done with Home Built Cedar Arrows and Obsidian/Flint Hand Knapped Broadheads!

I've already got my Home Built Knife/Obsidian Knapped Blade with Antler Handle & She's Sharp!

Your Home built moccasins are gonna be your New ATV!

Hunting where we don't need to Perform High Country TUNE-UPS!

JUDAS PRIEST!

The Bucks would Laugh at us!

Buck telling other Bucks:

I See Fondler,He's only 25 Yards away,Don't worry Buddy,He's not Packin his 300,He's got a F'N LongBow in His Hands,We're Safe!:D:D:D

[font color="redhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMsueOnu0kY

In the Next Basin over!

A Bachelor Bunch of Bucks Spot dry_boot sneaking in with His LongBow!

The Boss Buck of the Bachelor Groups says:

Oh Sshhitt Boys!

We are in Real Trouble now!

That Goofy Sum Bittch Ain't got nothing on but a Home made Buffalo Brief & a Smile & He's headed Our way!:D:D:D

>I would really enjoy it !
>One issue to consider is
>that some stick flippers have
>a hard enough time with
>modern equipment , let alone
>a true primitive bow .
>I would hate to see
>more deer/elk running around wounded
>.

My thoughts as well.

Some of you are spot on, It WAS fun. I hunted for years with a used $10 recurve bought at a second hand store. Used cedar Arrows but sorry Bess, I never knapped a tip, I used glue on Bear razors, Tried fiberglass when they came out but they dropped like a rock, used aluminum when cedar got to spendy. Use the same bow until 2001 when shoulder gave out. Founder, My son told me of a Hunt in Idaho for Bear that you spend a week building your bow and knapping heads, then use the equipment over bait, its recommended you limit your range to 20 yards.Has anyone here heard of this hunt?

I've kind of been there and done that. I participated in the very first archery deer season in California back in about 1965? I had a longbow, and compound bows hadn't been invented yet. It was a general hunt open to anyone but my buddy and I were the only ones we knew of who tried it. I'm sure there were other hunters around but we never did see any, or their camps.

We may have had binoculars, but I don't remember for sure. The only camo available at that time was military surplus and we both wore that. We stalked many bucks each day but neither of us even came close to firing a shot. It seemed impossible to sneak to within 30 yards of a healthy blacktail buck.

I remember hearing later that 5 bucks were taken that first year, state wide. I also remember thinking BS! No way! LOL!

The 2nd year I finally found a small forked horn stupid enough to not run away. I got buck fever so bad I missed from 20 yard!

By the 3rd year the word was out, and it got progressively more crowded every year. Then compound bows, road hunters, .22 LR, guys taking 100 yard shots, hunters camped right next to us including the families and dogs, hunters hiking right down through the middle of prairies, tree stands, illegal baiting, etc.

But to answer your question, yes I would like that!:)

Eel

It's written in the good Book that we'll never be asked to take more than we can. Sounds like a good plan, so bring it on!

LAST EDITED ON Feb-25-15 AT 06:52PM (MST)[p]Would manscaping be permitted? Or is that too modern?

I do like the premise. We are faced with either decreased opportunities of lower harvest rates! I would vote for lower harvest rates and more opportunity!

If anybody heard a 375 RUM go off in the middle of the Hunt would they be Mad?:D

>
>If anybody heard a 375 RUM
>go off in the middle
>of the Hunt would they
>be Mad?:D

Probably not. Utah would run both seasons at the same time.:D

Eel

Extreme Primitive?

When I was a kid the neighbor claimed to have rode a buck down on his horse and bulldogged it. I don't know if he slit its throat or practiced catch and release, but either way he cheated by using a horse.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom