Exterier house paint

eelgrass

Long Time Member
My wife says it's time to paint the outside of the house. She wanted to hire it done, but I told her that money is already earmarked for gas during hunting season. So she is doing it herself. She is up on the ladder scraping and sanding as I type this.

Yeah, right!:)

I'll be doing it! The last time I painted (about 10-12 years ago) I used Benjamin Moore paint. At the time I thought it was a great paint. It has held up well. I've been out of the loop since then. So what is the best paint now days? Exterier latex. I'm going to stick to the same color, or close. Thanks!

Eel

Eel, Before becoming a plumber in the 80's, I was a painting contractor and still paint a couple every year for old customers. Maybe not the very best but good all around paint for the $$ is Kelly Moore's 1245. It has a rubbery consistancy to it, expands and contracts with swelling, so it holds up very well to the elements. Even up here in the snow country, you should get 10-15 years from a good job.

Joey

Eel

Spring for Sherman Williams paint. It might cost alot but then again you could brag to all your neighbors how much you spent on house paint. As far as myself I use Kelly Moore.

Ransom

I THOUGHT IT WAS SHERWIN WILLIAMS???

THIS IS MY NEW GUN,YOU MAY NOT LIKE IT,YOU'LL LIKE IT A HELL OF A LOT LESS WHEN IT HITS ITS DESTINATION!!!
47654abd5a8fd79a.jpg

469ff2b8110d7f4e.jpg

THE ONLY bobcat THAT KNOWS ALOT OF YOU HAVE HAD THIS IMAGE IN YOUR PEA BRAIN BUT DUE TO POOR SHOOTING TACTICS I'M STILL KICKIN!!!

If i was your wife.. i say that so she has to do it, not you. I would powerwash it to clean and get the old flaky paint off. I use BM paint in the west desert where the gov stores and tests missel's. it was industrial paint and it holds up great. it is pricey but you get what you pay for!

I would go into the store and ask what product will hold up the best. also sherwin williams and qual howells will work. THey all make good exterior paints! its just a matter of what name you like best. also if you need a pump you can borrow mine. just come pick it up! In Utah

Bobcat you are right. Your prize is you get to help Eel paint his home. Watch out for bigfoot.

Ransom

HEY RANS???

I JUST DECIDED I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!!!

THIS IS MY NEW GUN,YOU MAY NOT LIKE IT,YOU'LL LIKE IT A HELL OF A LOT LESS WHEN IT HITS ITS DESTINATION!!!
47654abd5a8fd79a.jpg

469ff2b8110d7f4e.jpg

THE ONLY bobcat THAT KNOWS ALOT OF YOU HAVE HAD THIS IMAGE IN YOUR PEA BRAIN BUT DUE TO POOR SHOOTING TACTICS I'M STILL KICKIN!!!

"Sherman williams"....LMAO....what a dork.

My house needs it too......all shiplap wood siding....what do I want to use?

JB

Eel, no, not Benjamin Moore's sister, maybe not even the same family. lol! Good stuff though. The 1245 # is the finish of the paint. 1240 is almost a Flat. 1250 is a high gloss. 1245 is just in between and though a couple bucks a gallon more than 1240, it's worth it. I did Moms house this past winter. I used a painter friends discount, important, and paid about $100. a five gallon bucket. With no discount might be closer to $30. gal

http://www.kellymoore.com/products/peah_1245_acry_shield

Go easy on that pressure washer. great to clean and get rid of spider webs and very loose paint but don't get carried away with the thing. They can and will do damage. I like to spray lots of paint on, push, force it in the cracks, that gives the paint roots, with a roller right away while it's still wet and use a brush to get plenty in any groves to get a nice heavy solid coat. Helps to have a couple guys to do this all while what you sprayed on is still wet. As long as you're not down to bare wood and really bad areas, i'd skip the primer phase. If you lived closer i'd be glad to give you a hand. Good luck!

Joey

D13r, This mid Nov. on thru March, if we get a few nice days and you can figure in a way to get in some bird hunting or fishing... Deal! Right now, i'm as busy as i ever been, worked thru this weekend, making hay, with ABS and Copper.

Joey

K.M is the best choice, used it for 20 years, my bro works for 'em down in S. Fran.

If you rely on the pressure washer, once the house dry's the water will cause more paint to curl up soooooo???..

Eel you didnt tell her all your hunting spots are on fire yet did you??? You are going to save that $$ for your trip to Wells NV to the cat house arent you....

Quote of the year goes to bobcatbess
"I JUST DECIDED I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!!!"

Kyle
"If it moves shoot it again"

I couldn't find Sherman Williams paint anywhere....:)

The closest Kelly Moore dealer is either Redding or Santa Rosa. A good 4 hour drive either way. Sooooo, JB, stop in Santa Rosa and pick up the paint and then Kilowatt who lives right there....lol

Living in Eureka is like living in Alaska, but without the hunting and fishing, or the oil.

Benjamin Moore it will have to be.

Joey, thanks for the painting tips, you sound like a pro!

Eel

Eel

There is a Kelly Moore store in Ukiah. Just drive real fast and you can make a roundtrip in 4 hours. Okay maybe 6.

Ransom

Eel, I'm not sure who is producing Walmarts paint these days but i used to use their product sometimes after a customer asked me to use it on his house and promised he wouldn't hold me responcible for any failure. Other good name brand Co's manufacture their paint but Wal M. sells it under their own label in such volume,... it's really not a bad way to go. He told me it was highly rated so i bought their best exterior semi gloss at near $12. gal., deal!, and found it to be excellent...!

Whatever you get, a good job is not so much the paint brand but the type of paint and the way, mentioned earlier, or the condition, not wet, damp, or too cold, when you put it on.

Try these tests first. Do a color sample on a patch of your house. Doing it, dump a little, 1/2" in the bottom of a 5 gal bucket and swirl it around so most of the inside of the bucket has a coat. A couple hours later you should be able to peel the paint off the sides in one big streachy-rubbery piece. Also get some on your hands and after it dries, observe how hard it is to get off. Good exterior paint will stick to your hands...it will stick to your house. If it passes these simple tests, you'll probably be happy with the durability no matter the cost or name brand.

In most cases a semi-gloss might last the longest on an exterior. If that is to much gloss for you, not much really, a "satin" finish is a compromise. Don't pick out a regular exterior as it might be a "flat" which is to be avoided if at all possible. That stuff chalks up and won't last near as long. Good luck!

Joey

HEY DEADRED!!!

I AIN'T ADMITTING I KNEW HOW TO SPELL SHERWIN WILLIAMS OR HOW TO PAINT!!!

YOU ADMIT THAT???

THEM KALI FRIENDS WILL WANT YOU TO DRIVE CLEAR TO KALI JUST TO LEARN SOMETHING???

"I DON'T KNOW JACK"!!!

LOL!!!

LET US KNOW WHEN YOU GET MS eel SATISFIED WITH THE NEW PAINT JOB eel!!!

47654abd5a8fd79a.jpg

469ff2b8110d7f4e.jpg

Joey, not wet or damp or too cold is going to be a problem! This is Eureka remember. LOL! I might need to get ahold of the Navy and see what they use on ships hulls.

The nearest Walmart is about 90 miles north in Crescent City. Eureka, remember. We have to order from the Sears catalog if we want fresh eggs!

I priced Benjamin Moore today. $35 a gallon. I will do that test you recommend! Thank you!

If you take plumbing as serious as you do painting, you should never have to worry about finding work!

JB, I did some research on painting ship lap siding. The only correct way to paint it is to sand it all down to bare wood. Then TWO coats of primer and TWO coats of finish paint. You must use a brush no bigger than 1" wide. Hope this helps!:)

Eel

Eel said; "The nearest Walmart is about 90 miles north in Crescent City. Eureka, remember."

Sorry Eel, heck i been over that way lots a times. figured they'd have a WallyWorld tucked in there someplace.

You're a smart feller, just do the best you can with the conditions and it should turn out great. I've seen guys spray the same day that they pressure wash. That's nuts! i give it at least a couple days, usually 3-5. Figure that whatever water is in the wood is going to get back out somehow. What happens when it does?, that's called cracking or peeling. even a new paint job will fail if too much moisture in the wood.

$35./gal Ouch!! Materials costs are up high, except, lumber price is decent for some reason??

Plumbing is worse...way worse! Stuff runs down hill, right? Paydays on friday and don't bite your fingernails! Right! Lol

Joey

Eel.....Figure out how much paint you need, then buy half that amount. Buy 4 or 5 big boxes of Ivory Flakes and mix it with the paint you bought and start paintin'. You will have enough.

It goes on smooth, flows good into cracks and don't hardly run. Anyway, that's how the transient Mezcan' house painters do it in LA........ course, if it ever gets wet.....

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom