Extended Archery Elk and Deer Advice

cgmoonsky

I've got both archery tags for deer and elk. I'm trying to go with my 6-year-old son for his first big game hunting experience. I've been hoping for success on the extended hunt because it's close to home and I've got very limited time especially with him being in school. I'm trying not to hike his little legs off, but we aren't seeing much out there as I expect many aren't. Any advice? I'm not asking for anyone's secret spot, but any advice is much appreciated.

Best way to hunt the extended is to glass hard, find access points, and hike straight up the mountain. The easy part is glassing stuff up, the hard part is getting there and you definitely won't be alone. Those hills are crawling with guys in November. Sometimes it's worse than any rifle hunt you can imagine. Finding a spot with both deer and elk is going to make it harder and even more crowded, but it is possible. You just have to put in a lot of work and hope you are alone. I would suggest going on weekdays for sure.

Best way to hunt the extended is to glass hard, find access points, and hike straight up the mountain. The easy part is glassing stuff up, the hard part is getting there and you definitely won't be alone. Those hills are crawling with guys in November. Sometimes it's worse than any rifle hunt you can imagine. Finding a spot with both deer and elk is going to make it harder and even more crowded, but it is possible. You just have to put in a lot of work and hope you are alone. I would suggest going on weekdays for sure.
Thank you!

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom