Expo Tags vs General Draw

Muley_73

Very Active Member
I think I will disagree with thinking that my odds are better if the tags were back in the general draw.

The DWR only allows me to apply for one species, LE Deer, ElK, or Pronghorn. I also only get to apply for one species on either Mountain Goat, Desert Bighorn, Rocky Mnt Bighorn, Moose, or Bison.

The Expo tags allow me to enter a drawing for all species and numberous chances on each.

Here my chances in the State Draw if I put in for Pauns Any Weapon Deer with 5 points. 1.7%

Here are my chances on several other units if I put in for Pauns Any Weapon Deer.

Book Cliffs Any Weapon-0.00%
Book Cliffs Archery-0.00%
Henrys Any Weapon-0.00%
Henrys Muzzy-0.00%
Vernon Archery-0.00%
Veron Any Weapon-0.00%
San Juan Archery-0.00%
And so on and so on!!!!!

Heres a few of the odds for Elk if I put in for Pauns Any Weapon Deer.

Pahvant-0.00%
Monroe-0.00%
Mt. Dutton-0.00%
South Cache-0.00%
Boulder-0.00%
Continued..........

How about Pronghorns?

All Units come up as-0.00%

The same trend holds true if I put in for Rocky Mnt Bighorns on the Rattlesnake Unit.

Mountain Goats-0.00%
Moose-0.00%
Bison-0.00%
Desert Bighorns-0.00%

So to say my odds at drawing a tag in the state draw if these tags are added back in does not make any sense to me. Maybe I am not applying correctly?

I think I'll take AWLB's advice and let it ride!!!!!!!!!!!

The only time your 'odds' in the LE species or the OIL species in the draw are 0.00% are when you just do the point code and are not in the draw.

Bonus point state so no matter your point total-----0 to max....you have a 'chance' to draw.

Plenty of low point total applicants draw sweet tags year in and year out.

How does this sound for some advice-----apply for the Con tags and apply in the LE-OIL draw!

Granted all thos 'Unsuck-cesfull' Emails will get a guy way depressed! ha

Robb

Muley 73 you are right but don't tell anyone, keep everyone thinking the expo is a waste of time, expensive and sux! better odds for the couple of us that do go then ;-)
Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Some enjoy the expo year after year, but I believe it would dry up and blow away if not for the tags. To me that means if you live in Glenwood, Ut you're into the tags and extra $100.00 plus before you even get thru the front door. If you live south of the Payson/Dixon Line you should be able to enter on line for an extra $50.00. Are any of you starting to laugh?

Robb
His point is, you can only put in for one choose.
So if you put in for Deer, you have 0% for all others.
I think he makes a good point!

>I don't think most here know
>where Glenwood is located. Even
>some of them from
>Utah.

"Betcha" M73 does

Damn straight! Pretty great place to grow up for a kid that loved to chase critters! Like to go back on occasion and visit the old lumpy grizzly bear that still has a cave there.

I agree with the original post. As a Utah resident, you basically get to put in for "1" Once in a Life Time animal and "1" Limited Entry. You have to choose between, moose, goats, sheep, bison. But just 1. You then have to choose between deer, elk or antelope, but just 1... That was his point. If a person applies for elk and bison, his chance of drawing any of those other OIL or LE tags is zero "0"

At the expo, you can at least have a better than 0% shot at drawing any of those tags. I know, been there and done that...

But I am fine with everyone staying away, because it just increases my odds a very small amount.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-14-11 AT 05:07PM (MST)[p]Oh--Ok......

Thanks C-man.......

Yeh I am certainly a newbie at this -----

I am still going to take my own advice and apply for both the $100 worth of them Nothing For Wildlife Expo tags and that Utah Draw....deal thingy.....

One never--ever knows......I might be one of the 5% of 'nobodies' that draws a Nothing For Wildlife Expo tag?

Robb

>Yeh I am certainly a newbie
>at this -----

LOL..........yah right!
Good luck with the draws, hope you get some good tags!

Robb,

I will take your advice and put in for both.

I read your story awhile back about your Mnt. Goat hunt. I hope you draw another one at the Expo. Good Karma!!!!!

They only get half the tags from the nonresident quota:)...but 2.5% of 10% takes 25% of the nonresident tags. If they take one Henry deer or sheep tag, they are getting half the nonresident quota for a two tag hunt, for sure cherry pick the primo nonresident tags.

I know nonresident odds odds would be better without the expo...especially with the travel cost and time added...It's for sure worth $100 and up to a tank of gas to apply in the expo...But add in $500-$1000 for travel expenses...Not unless you would be going anyway.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom